Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to run cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to run cooler

hi guys i was wondering whats the best way to help our ls1s run cooler. you guys know that these things run kind of hot from the factory so you know what i mean. a few people said the thermostat wouldnt do much because the fans still wont kick on till like 215. someone said i should get a fan switch or reprogram it. the fan switch would be the cheapest most efficient. good idea or not? if anyone has any other ideas id apperciate it. thanks always.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

just take it to a place that has ls1edit or hptuners and get a base tune and have them kick on the fans earlier, that way you don't have to worry about a switch, and you will pick up some HP at the same time.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

BeCool radiator and an electric water pump ,, hehe

12 miles of stop and go traffic on a 95 degree day in florida with the a/c on and i actually got up to 220 ,, hehe

I tried fans , water wetter , new thermostat and programming and nothing helped keep the temps down till i got the new radiator and merzier(sp) water pump .

They are a little pricy but well worth it.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

keep it cool in traffic or keep it cool on the highway?

if you're just talking about when the car is moving....not sitting for extended periods...than the stat will be fine. as long as air is moving over the radiator you'll see lower temps. in florida, driving around, even slow...i consistently see 170-175deg (scanned) with my 160 stat.

to take advantage of the stat in places like traffic or stageing lanes you need either a fan switch (best for track) or a fan setting change (traffic).

my cammed engine still runs 175 in florida heat with the low stat and adjusted fans.