Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why is my new exhaust setup so freakin quiet!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is my new exhaust setup so freakin quiet!!!

i just installed a Texas speed ORY with my hooker LTs and added a hooker catback. no cats. it is sooooo quite. you can bearly tell i have an exhaust. even at WOT it isn't that loud....

it has to be the muffler right? any better mufflers out there i can replace this with for a more agressive sound?
Old 06-19-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Put a cutout in there and you won't complain about lack of noise anymore

My buddy has a 99 Z28 with Kooks headers and Y pipe and a magnaflow muffler, I was surprised how quiet that setup was. Don't get me wrong, it sure sounds healthy, but it definitely is not loud enough for some people.

You can always throw a Loudmouth on there.

There is no other component of your exhaust other than the Muffler that will make it that quiet.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

give it about a week. wait for the muffler to break in. every catback with a real muffler is quieter when you first put it on. the packing needs to be broken in. i bet by this time next week, you'll be surprised how much louder it got. if you're still unhappy, like already suggested, throw on a cutout.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Sell it and buy a GMMG.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Give it some time and it will get a little louder.

I just installed a B&B catback on my car and it's real quiet. When I get on it you can hear it coming but when I'm just driving around it isn't too loud. My old flowmaster muffler was a lot louder than this but I was looking for something a little more quiet. When I want to be loud I just uncap the cutout
Old 06-20-2007, 06:01 AM
On The Tree

i'll give it some time to break in but i swear its hard to tell i even have an exhaust on there. i had true duals on it and it was stupid loud.... no i can't even hear it.

my z06 has corsa catback and LTs and ORx pipe... its very very loud but in a good way. i just don't get it.

is there any muffler i can swap out if i don't like this one that is less restrictive and give me the v8 sound i'm looking for?
Old 06-20-2007, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by u lose
i'll give it some time to break in but i swear its hard to tell i even have an exhaust on there. i had true duals on it and it was stupid loud.... no i can't even hear it.

my z06 has corsa catback and LTs and ORx pipe... its very very loud but in a good way. i just don't get it.

is there any muffler i can swap out if i don't like this one that is less restrictive and give me the v8 sound i'm looking for?
The Hooker catback is one of the highest flowing catbacks available so I doubt your gonna find much better muffler, it does happen to be pretty quiet though. You should let someone drive your car and have you listen, although not super loud, its a very good sound. Also a cutout will make it louder like everyone else is saying, but with ORY a cutout sounds like **** everywhere but WOT in my opinion.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Keep the hooker muffler and get the cutout like others have said. You'll get the best of both worlds. Being loud all the time gets old really quick
Old 06-20-2007, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

well i've got 4 other cars. so when i get in this one i am only in it for one reason.... to take off the t-tops and listen to the sweet sound of exhaust..... like i said , i hated the true duals, so i guess the cut out would be the best bet....

just one cut out? placed where?
Old 06-20-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

on teh I pipe, right before it bends to go over teh axle
Old 06-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The Hooker is extremely quiet. Good sound, but quiet. A friend had it with LT's and ORY and went back to his Flowmaster - even though he admitted the Hooker gave him more torque - because it was so quiet.