Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Code P0174!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Code P0174!

Where do I start?

Within the past few days I've had a problem with my car. Throughout all rpm's it hesitates to go, sometimes when I give it gas it just bogs down and doesnt really go at all, almost like it's coughing. Then I let off, and the rpm's drop to about 500, but it never dies. So after driving like this only getting worse the SES light finally came on.

So I rolled down the street to a local Advanced Auto and had someone scan it for me. I saw on the scanner code # P0174 'Lean Bank 2'. He tried to tell me the car was running that way "...it's because you got that k&n in there man, and all those other tweaks you've done." I laughed and said yeah, ok and left to take matters into my own hands.

I got home and looked at the o2 sensors to see if they were melted or messed up in any way but they werent. So I ended up switching them to see if another code would pop up for the other bank. I tried driving it again and the same thing happened but no SES light. I installed long tubes months ago and had the rear 02's deleted by Chuck @ HPE. I even got the heated corvette o2's and it's ran fine eversince. Just the past two days it's been running like ****.

Anyway, I looked over the engine bay for a few minutes for vacuum leaks and double checked that the injectors were all plugged in, even though I haven't messed with any of that stuff. But now I'm lost and don't know what to do. My next move is to check fuel psi on the rail, maybe my fuel pump is going out? Anyone have ideas on how to diagnose?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-24-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have access to a scanner so you can see what the 02's are doing? Maybe www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic9154.php can help.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Launching!

According to my reference, PO174 is actually "Fuel Trim System Rich, Bank 2"

Have you taken your MAF off and cleaned it? If you're 02's seem to be ok. That's the only logical thing I believe might be the cause. Take some automotive-electronics cleaner or rubbing alcohol and wet a quetip. Carefully wipe off the sensors. In my old 3.8 camaro I had the same exact issue. It was supposedly due to me oiling my K&N too heavily.

Also might want to check and make sure all of your spark plug wires are on securely. And I doubt that a fuel pump or filter would cause one bank only to run rich or lean. Best of luck to ya man.

Rick.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

it seems to me that if the MAF was dirty, it would cause both banks to throw that code...right?
Old 06-24-2007, 06:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would replace a fuel filter, check the maf sensor, did u port or tamper with ur tb?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

nope, last thing i did was install long tubes...then got it tuned. haven't touched anything since.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you still have smog, check to see if you have a leak where the air tube connects to the manifold. If air is getting in there it could throw that code
Old 06-24-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

According to GM's Service Information P0174 is Fuel Trim System LEAN Bank 2. There is also a bulletin for that code, I would start there first. Or if you can get your hands on a scanner take a look at the 02 sensors.

Condition
Some customers may comment on any of the following various driveability symptoms:

• Extended Crank Time

• Hard to Start

• MIL/SES Illuminated with DTCs

• Hesitation

• Lack of Power

• Surge or Chuggle

• Rough Idle

• Light or Intermittent Misfire

Cause
Due to various factors, the fuel injectors may become restricted. Extensive testing has demonstrated that fuel related issues are the cause of clogged injectors. At this point, no specific fuel, fuel constituent, or engine condition has been identified as causing the restriction. The restriction causes the engine to operate at a lean air fuel ratio. This may either trigger the MIL to illuminate or the engine to develop various driveability symptoms.

Correction
Fuel injector restrictions, deposits can be cleaned on the vehicle using the following procedure. Under NO circumstances should this procedure be modified, changed or shortened. As a long term solution, and to prevent reoccurrence, customers should be encouraged to use Top Tier Detergent Gasoline . For further information on Top Tier detergent gasoline and fuel retailers, please refer to the following Corporate Bulletin Numbers:

• 04-06-04-047G (U.S. Only)

• 05-06-04-022C (Canada ONLY)

Notice: GM UPPER ENGINE AND FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER is the only injector cleaning agent approved for use with General Motors fuel system components. Other injector cleaners may cause damage to plastics, plated metals or bearings. General Motors has completed extensive laboratory testing of GM Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner, and can assure its compatibility with General Motors fuel system components, as long as the cleaning procedure is followed correctly.

Injector Cleaning Procedure
The following tools, or their equivalent, are required:

• CH-47976 Active Fuel Injector Tester (AFIT)

• J 35800-A Fuel Injector Cleaner

• J 37287 Fuel Line Shut-off Adapter

• J 42964 Fuel Line Shut-off Adapter

• J 42873 Fuel Line Shut-off Adapter

• * One bottle of GM Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner, P/N 88861802 (in Canada, P/N 88861804)

• * One bottle of GM Fuel System Treatment Plus, P/N 88861011 (in Canada, P/N 88861012)
Old 06-25-2007, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

bump..
Old 06-25-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

some good information has been posted. have you tried any of what was suggested?
Old 06-25-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
some good information has been posted. have you tried any of what was suggested?
That's what I was going to ask. Start with what was given to you and see if it helps.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

what o2's are you running...?

Quick Reply: HELP! Code P0174!