Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock alt on a cammed car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stock alt on a cammed car?

I have a 232/234 cam in my car with heads and some other mods doign 432 rwhp and ever since i did the cam swap i drove it for about 4k miles with no problems and then my alternator went out so i changed it and then 4-500 miles later it gose out again i take it back thinking it was just a bad one and to i put the 3rd one in and it lasted 4-500 miles then i put the 4th one in and it last a grand total of 4 miles lol talk about bad luck. My question is spining your car up to 6800 rpm is whats taking the alt out.. I know some are gunna say ther is a bad ground but ive checked them all ive event ohmed im and they all check out anyone have an idea of what might be causeing this?

PS i dont have a under drive pully
Old 06-25-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

did you plug in the exciter wire?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have only exhaust, lid, smooth bellow, and p&p tb and I'm on my 4th alternator in a year. The first one was factory of course, the 2nd and 3rd were reman from autozone, and the 4th one (that I just installed yesterday) is a new duralast gold unit. If this one doesn't last a couple of years or so, I'm going to a new GM unit.

I don't think it could be anything else other than too much power. On both occassions were my remans went out, one was on a test drive at WOT after I got my Bo White p&p tb. I thought the tb was that good, since it broke my alternator. The 2nd one went out after I downshifted and went WOT. It might just be that remans are crap for power but I'll see how long this new unit lasts me.

I haven't seen many options for f-bodys as far as alternators go, other than custom.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id say just search the net...i dont know of any sponsors that offer a HD alt.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been thinking about replacing my alt as well. Im going to upgrade to an optima battery, and didnt want to install it with a weak alt. I get the flickering lights and bad charging sometimes. Ive replaced the exciter wire, and now have an entire new plug with wire to install with the new alt.

I wanted to get a HD alt...and you can get 200amp models from places like advance but holy crap! They are like $800!!!!! I dont like to buy things like alts. off places like ebay because I like the warrenty that comes with one from advance or autozone.

Then again, a high output alt might not be the same as a HD alt. If anyone knows of a better one to install, definetly post up!

J.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

mean green, makes high output alternators, and they pretty much can build you what ever you want, I almost worked for them a while ago, and they make a lot of offroad stuff, like water proof starters, they are high quality stuff. But if your next one goes out, I would look at a bad draw, or a short somewhere.

http://www.mean-green.com/products/index.html