Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle cables

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default throttle cables

im in the process of buying parts for a ls1 swap. the ls1 will be going into an 01 camaro. i have 2 pictures below, the first being a system with 3 cables, the second being a system with 2 cables which i have circled. my question is what is the black box used for in the first picture and where do the cables connect w/ these two systems? circled in blue is the throttle cable, looks like the throttle cable comes directly from the accelerator pedal on the 2 cable system and on the 3 cable system it comes from the black box that is circled in red, i think that box is for traction control, correct me if im wrong. I would like to have traction control and cruise control on my car... HELP!!! thanks!

Last edited by 01CaMMMaro; 06-30-2007 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
the throttle cable box thing has 3 cables coming out of it...
I'm confused...do you have a picture of this? It sounds like you're talking about the TCS box there.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

its on the front of the passenger fender... has 3 cables coming out of it... one goes to the TB but i dont see where the other 2 go... im assuming to the pedal and the other to the cruise control box.

Last edited by 01CaMMMaro; 06-29-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

pedal and cruise control
Old 06-29-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28_DAD
pedal and cruise control
so there are 3 cables? is it different per year or different for auto/manual?
Old 06-29-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok i made a picture to better describe what im talking about... i put the picture on my first post of the thread and described what i think is right, above the picture.

Last edited by 01CaMMMaro; 06-29-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

come on i would think this would be an easy question...any help please?
Old 06-30-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

found out its the TCS module im looking at that has the 3 cables, non TCS cars have 2 cables, still not sure how they all plug in though.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

made some progress but still have the question above...
Old 06-30-2007, 07:03 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

First pic is of a car WITH traction control, and yes that black box near the battery is the traction control unit.

Second pic is a car WITHOUT traction control.

If you wish to keep traction control you would need it on the PCM, and you would need the axle out of traction control donor car.
A traction control f-body has ABS exciter/reluctor ring on the end of both axles with the ABS sensor on top to read it.

Cruise is part of that cable set up, one cable for each goes to cruise.

You would have alot of work to get traction control to work on a non-traction control car.

Hope that helps,
Craig.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

my car currently has traction control and cruise control, its an 01. I dont necessarily HAVE to have either of them... to make it easier should i just run 1 cable from the accelerator pedal to the TB? it wouldnt matter to me if i had traction or cruise, i never use cruise since im mainly a city driver and the first thing i do when i turn my car on is hit the TCS button anyways. i will eventually change out my rear to a stock ls1 rearend but for the time being im going to keep my v6 one which is 4 channel... will this 4 channel rear end cause any problems not using TCS or cruise control?
Old 06-30-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 99, and don't have TCS... but I do have CC... to me it's perfect. I don't have to worry about the bothersome TCS when i'm launching, and I have the use of CC for long drives. You don't even need the TCS system in my book. Hell it's more fun driving the car without it and learning the feel of the car yourself... Even if I had the choice for TCS i'd do without it.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Your rear end should work just fine and there's no reason to swap it for an "LS1" rear because the only difference might be the gear ratio, they aren't any stronger. As was stated above, the top pic of of the TCS set up, you will that box and the cables in order to keep it. There should be one cable going to the pedal, one goes to cruise and one to the throttle.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:40 PM

Keep your rear end, should be same as LS1. Like I said before its going to be in the PCM.

The traction control is tied into the ABS system.

And I LOVE the statements from members like ...."I don't need traction control blah blah blah..." and of course its the ones that DON'T have it.
Try driving a 500+rwtq car in the rain and then get back to me.

Its like a gun, better to have it and not need rather then need it and not have it.

Plus you can always get a reverse switch from SLP, I have it on both of my cars.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6WRX
Your rear end should work just fine and there's no reason to swap it for an "LS1" rear because the only difference might be the gear ratio, they aren't any stronger. As was stated above, the top pic of of the TCS set up, you will that box and the cables in order to keep it. There should be one cable going to the pedal, one goes to cruise and one to the throttle.

about the rear end... my gear ratio is something really low... like 2. something and i figure if i get some 3.73 or 4.10 gears and have someone install them, im looking at around $500 at least... if i get a used rear with 3.42 then i can pick it up for around $200. gotta save every penny in a build.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
about the rear end... my gear ratio is something really low... like 2. something and i figure if i get some 3.73 or 4.10 gears and have someone install them, im looking at around $500 at least... if i get a used rear with 3.42 then i can pick it up for around $200. gotta save every penny in a build.
Just try to stick with whatever ABS channel system you have then. Unless you don't care about traction control & ABS.

Yes blowing money on gears for a stock 10 bolt is like pissing in the wind. Unless you have an auto, where the 10 bolts will live alot longer.

Check your door codes, I'm not sure if the V6 cars are different.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRAGER
Just try to stick with whatever ABS channel system you have then. Unless you don't care about traction control & ABS.

Yes blowing money on gears for a stock 10 bolt is like pissing in the wind. Unless you have an auto, where the 10 bolts will live alot longer.

Check your door codes, I'm not sure if the V6 cars are different.

Peace,
Craig.
the rear ends are the same... right now i have a 4 channel and ya i would like to have traction control and cruise control... its just not that important to me and would be one less thing to hassle with if i did a throttle cable only. is doing just 1 cable from the pedal to the TB, no traction or cruise, able to work? im assuming i might through a code if my PCM has cruise/traction.