Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y-pipe Argh!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Y-pipe Argh!!!!

How in the hell do you get a y-pipe into longtubes? I bought XS headers and their y-pipe and for the life of me can't make the y-pipe work on the driver side header. Do I have to bang the crap out of it to get it in? I just don't know what I have to do. They just don't line up at all.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

I know I'm probably stating the obvious, but of course the y-pipe goes onto, not into, the long tubes ... that being said, it should line up no problem. Can you give a little more detail? What exactly is the hang up?
Old 07-06-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
How in the hell do you get a y-pipe into longtubes? I bought XS headers and their y-pipe and for the life of me can't make the y-pipe work on the driver side header. Do I have to bang the crap out of it to get it in? I just don't know what I have to do. They just don't line up at all.
Backed, I tried putting mine on....does not go on the drivers side at all. The drivers header is practically touching the floor board.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well unfortunately my friend who was helping me the past two days has work tomorrow. So I have to fight the battle alone with the driver-side header to y-pipe connection. We made the y-pipe a bit flatter to try and make it clear by banging it with a hammer but it still isn't going to fit unless the header magically aims lower, further away from the floorboard.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well unfortunately my friend who was helping me the past two days has work tomorrow. So I have to fight the battle alone with the driver-side header to y-pipe connection. We made the y-pipe a bit flatter to try and make it clear by banging it with a hammer but it still isn't going to fit unless the header magically aims lower, further away from the floorboard.
have you tried contacting the manufacturer? It's possible you got a bad set...?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I did was first loosin the driver header side header so that you can wiggle it a bit and then go back and put the ypipe on. I tried first with both headers on all the way and it wasnt budgin but after I pulled the bolts out a bit on the driver side header, I was able to at least get it all connected and then thats were the rubber mallet comes into play, you can bang all day long with that thing and it doesnt make a scratch on the piping, had to use that to get it on all the way and then I used a jack to jack it up straight and then band clamped both sides, worked like a charm, now I just have to fit the nice big piece of rubber I got inbetween the floorpan and the ypipe so it doesnt bang because even tho it hasnt been started yet, I know it will....
Old 07-06-2007, 07:45 AM
Pontiacerator

We made the y-pipe a bit flatter to try and make it clear by banging it with a hammer but it still isn't going to fit unless the header magically aims lower, further away from the floorboard.
How tight is the header to the floorboard? If it's jammed up against it, you're not going to get the y-pipe on, and if you do, it's going to buzzing and banging against the body. As someone said, you may have a defective header. There is very little room to play with once the manifold bolts are in, so there's not a lot of adjustability.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah, its funny we tried jacking it up and all of what you mentioned (Fb0dy0nly) The only thing we didn't do was loosen the header because, well, it took a lot of work to get those on and we'd rather not work backwards but if it worked for you I will do what it takes. Once more thank you for the responses and ANY ideas I am open to just please let me know.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Teching In

And the horror stories begin.....
Old 07-06-2007, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by BigArchidia
And the horror stories begin.....
Would you like me to dig up the numerious Kooks and QTP ones too? There are many sets on here where people havent had any problems.

Loosen the header and then pull down on it and tighten it up. Ive seen this a few times when people are installing headers, theyll push up on them and then tighten the bolts down.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

x2 kooks qtp and all the other precious overpriced companies have the same damn problems. I used the jet hot pipe since "back in the day" they didnt ahve the Y pipe, but just try prying the collector down some and towards the center of the car, or try loosening a few bolts. I guarentee you it will go in, but it will be a tight fit.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Country Boy
Would you like me to dig up the numerious Kooks and QTP ones too? There are many sets on here where people havent had any problems.

Loosen the header and then pull down on it and tighten it up. Ive seen this a few times when people are installing headers, theyll push up on them and then tighten the bolts down.
Sorry but when things are made correctly from the get-go, clearance and fitment problems shouldn't exist, regardless of who makes them.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

+1 for loosening bolts and pulling down
Old 07-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by mglooper
+1 for loosening bolts and pulling down
Update?? Did this work for you?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright guys, they are in and everything is awesome!!! For the record you don't even have to loosen the header after you've already put it in. All you have to do is use a pry bar and pull that sucker down and shove the y-pipe in. Sounds interesting because I still don't have O2 extensions so the two holes in the headers are open But I will have the extensions Tuesday then she will be fully operational. All in all great clearance, tucks up against the body, you just have to fight for it.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Wait till you start it up and feel the vibrations from the Y pipe resting against the floor of the car.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Alright guys, they are in and everything is awesome!!! For the record you don't even have to loosen the header after you've already put it in. All you have to do is use a pry bar and pull that sucker down and shove the y-pipe in.
Exactly what I did. Put a prybar down there and pried the bitch down until I could get the y pipe on. Other than that my install with these headers was relatively painless. I'd buy em again in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Wait till you start it up and feel the vibrations from the Y pipe resting against the floor of the car.
Werd!
Old 07-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Pontiacerator

Alright guys, they are in and everything is awesome!!! All in all great clearance, tucks up against the body, you just have to fight for it.
It's not great clearance if it's up against the floorpan.
Originally Posted by INMY01TA
It'll have you half out of your mind in no time.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No I did the rubber hose mod, so no vibration for me. I've started it a lot already making sure everything's okay.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed my XS headers/Y-pipe yesterday. +1 for the pry bar / heater hose mod. It's pretty common knowledge that on these headers, the clearence on the driver side is incredibly close (read: touching). But, I'll take it to my exhaust shop, have them weld in the high-flow cats I bought and twead the driver side collector so that it clears with no touching. After all is said, I'll still have paid significantly less for stainless steel headers and Y-pipe than I would have for other brands.

Oh... I love the new setup! Woot!!

Marc