Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XS headers installed no problem....

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XS headers installed no problem....

We started at about 8 and finished up about 3:30 so about 7 1/2 hours to do the install. All in all it went pretty smooth. I had to modify the y-pipe a little because of the extra cross member support for the vert.

Something else which baffles me is as I was removing the drivers side stock manifold I discovered that the head was broken off the rear bolt. I didn't break it off and as far as I know the stock manifold had never been removed. I bought the car brand new and have never had any engine work of that nature done to it. I can't figure out how the bolt came to be broke. Well, I couldn't get the bolt out, so I put some copper high temp sealant on the gasket and it seems to be holding well. No leaks that I can hear.

Let me tell you it's LOUD and RASPY. I didn't get the powersticks yet, but as soon as I do they are going on without delay. I hate the way it sounds right now and am almost embarrassed to drive it. It sounds good at idle and just cruising but as soon as you get on it it sounds downright ugly. Hopefully I'll get the powersticks on this week.

The headers went in without a hitch, with the exception of the y-pipe, but that was my fault. I didn't have to cut, grind or modify anything to get the headers in. I did remove the starter to get the passenger side in, but other than that they went in smooth as butter.

I didn't feel any noticeable increase in SOP power. Should I? If anything it feels a tad slower. Could that be becasue of less backpressure now that I don't have any cats? Does the computer need to readjust itself for the extra airflow? Should I get it tuned?

All in all, I'm happy with the results. Just gotta get those powersticks on.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool

Now update your sig!
Old 07-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by jblindy
Let me tell you it's LOUD and RASPY. I hate the way it sounds right now and am almost embarrassed to drive it. It sounds good at idle and just cruising but as soon as you get on it it sounds downright ugly. Hopefully I'll get the powersticks on this week.
That's the way an ORY is going to sound with a straight pipe or chambered system. I don't know that the powersticks are going to solve it for you. You need a real muffler to cancel the rasp pulsations. But you're right - it sounds absolutely horrible, and is a total embarrassment.

I didn't feel any noticeable increase in SOP power. Should I? If anything it feels a tad slower. Could that be becasue of less backpressure now that I don't have any cats? Does the computer need to readjust itself for the extra airflow? Should I get it tuned?
A little loss in SOTP throttle responsiveness is pretty typical after an LT/ORY install. Both you and your computer will adjust to it in a short time - there's no need to try to fix it right away. Give it some time and then you may or may not wish to do some tuning.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:30 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

throw some cats on there. get a set of magnaflow 59959 cats. they'll take a lot of the rasp away without cutting down on noise or horsepower much at all. here's a link:

http://www.eadperformance.com/catalo...9f60d04a52b182

trust me, you'll thank me later it'll clean that sound up good.

btw, the biggest culprit of rasp in your system is the y-pipe itself. the XS y-pipe, like nearly every prefabricated y-pipe for our cars, is a piece of ****. there is NO merge. one pipe just dumps into the other. this accounts for nearly ALL the rasp in a y-pipe setup. the only two companies that make a good y-pipe for our car performance-wise (they have a merge) are QTP and ARH. all the other y-pipes dump into each other like a piece of junk.

this is why true duals have little to no rasp, even without cats. if you have a shop modify the y-pipe and put a REAL merge (like a flowmaster merge), even without cats, the rasp will be minimal by comparison. with cats, i'd be willing to bet it'll be totally gone or damn close.

good luck.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Let me tell you it's LOUD and RASPY. I didn't get the powersticks yet, but as soon as I do they are going on without delay. I hate the way it sounds right now and am almost embarrassed to drive it. It sounds good at idle and just cruising but as soon as you get on it it sounds downright ugly. Hopefully I'll get the powersticks on this week.

The headers went in without a hitch, with the exception of the y-pipe, but that was my fault. I didn't have to cut, grind or modify anything to get the headers in. I did remove the starter to get the passenger side in, but other than that they went in smooth as butter.

All in all, I'm happy with the results. Just gotta get those powersticks on.
I agree with the guy that said to let the car and you get used to it. However, every time i have done LT's on an LS1 or LT1 The SOP difference is night and day.. Especially in torque. I would maybe check the O2 operation to make sure they are working right. As far as raspy, It is the way your car is supposed to sound. I suppose you never went to the track or hung around at car shows much. If you had you would not think the sound was ugly. Besides if we wanted "quiet " cars, we would have honda civics or toyota celicas. I would not change your exhaust setup without a cutout. I have a Magnaflow system with Jet hot long tubes without cats and it is not loud at all. So I installed an electric cut out. Now it sounds the way it is supposed to. Now I can drive around with it open all the time and close it in town and when cops are around.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:32 PM

Youll need a tune also. Ive tuned cars that had bolt ons and headers, ORY and catbacks and the WOT AFR was ~14:1.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tune isn't necessary but will help.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:11 PM

unless you like to run a 14:1 WOT AFR, then you dont need it.