Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question???

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Quick question???

Hey I was just browsing the MTI webpage http://www.motorsporttech.com/fbody_air_intake01.asp and I found a link to the GMHTP article where they test all the air lids. They rate them, from 0 to 5 all on page 31, but it doesn't say which is which. Does the chart correspond to the one on page 30 or what? Does anyone have the magazine?
Old 07-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Banned

You know all lids are pretty much the same, you're talking a handful of hp here and there.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Launching!

yea I know, but I am not concerned about the performance more about fit and finish. I don't want the lid to be all scuffed up by my hood or vice versa... Someone just answer my question.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tmaschm
yea I know, but I am not concerned about the performance more about fit and finish. I don't want the lid to be all scuffed up by my hood or vice versa... Someone just answer my question.
The SLP lid has been know to rub the hood. I have the whisper lid and it fits perfect.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Thanks 2_Wacko that was very helpful.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
The SLP lid has been know to rub the hood.
only when used in conjunction with the smooth bellows. the smooth bellows is responsible for nearly ALL cases of lid rubbing because they are stiff and actually lift the lid up in the back, causing them to rub.

the SLP lid is definitely the best fitting and best made lid for the f-body. no lid cracks less and no lid fits better on average. SLP isn't a company i pimp very much for these cars. i don't like their catbacks because they're either too quiet or they don't use a muffler. i don't like their headers because they hang too low. the smooth bellows is a waste of money. blah blah blah...but their lid, well, that's clearly the best made/best fitting lid for the f-body. period. it's also one of the most affordable and IMO, the best looking.

i wouldn't buy any other one, but that's just me.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Launching!

thanks again taco369. What did you use instead of the smooth bellows?
Old 07-08-2007, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

Ive got the slp lid, slp maf, and slp smooth bellow and have no hood rubbing problems? Mabe i got lucky?
Old 07-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Tech Resident

thanks again taco369. What did you use instead of the smooth bellows?
stock bellows. there is no reason to change. i've never heard of anyone gaining any power from a smooth bellows, and even if they dynoed 2 rwhp higher, dynos vary so much, it wouldn't even be accurate. i have heard of plenty of lids cracking and rubbing from switching to a smooth bellows, though. so to me, it's "spend extra money for no horsepower and a cracking/rubbing lid"...pass.

i don't plan on ever changing the stock bellows. there is no point at all.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Launching!

awesome help guys...I think I am going to go with the slp lid.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Tech Resident

awesome help guys...I think I am going to go with the slp lid.
you won't regret it. SLP just changed their design so now it's even more well-made than before. it was already the best fitting and most durable lid on the market (on average). now, it's even better
Old 07-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Banned

What's most interesting is the lids they tested all serve the same purpose. In fact the suncoast setup I had on my car might have been the truest to low restriction sort of lid on the market. I took a notes of it in another thread a while ago, though it has the lowest restriction of all the lids. I told my friend he should consider running that one on the car, but was out of budget because with that setup you also have to get the raptor hood which is beyond reach for the average enthusiast who runs a lid.