Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No cats = always smell like gas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to bring the thread back from the dead, but, is there anything to stop the stink? The smell, though very apparent after the 383 stroker upgrade, never bothered me that much. Yet, now with my two young boys, who got the muscle car gene from me, whom want to ride in the car once in a while, it worries me. I get light headed at stop lights sometime, and I don't want to choke them with Co2 and gas fumes in the back seat. I'm tuned, with a catted Y and Long tube headers, running ported heads, ported intake and custom cam....I guess that it is a side effect of running so much power, pushing so much exhaust, but I'm not looking to cause brain damage! After 3 tunes to get it right, perhaps I am running too rich, but is there anything to tone it down? I even had an exhaust shop check for leaks, but all was good they said.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:40 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
All you guys with cams with any amount of overlap, thats why it smells. Raw fuel in the exhaust. Cant tune it out completely. You can reduce it by tuning, but you cant make it go away.
With a stock cam, and no cats, you should have very little smell. These cars burn fairly clean without the cats. You will get some smell, but nothing like a cam with some overlap.
This is likely a big part of your problem, and the cats just can't completely clean up all that raw fuel. Also, you'll want to do some datalogging and check your fuel trims. If the PCM is dumping fuel, that will certainly make it worse.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

^This! The more overlap the more stink.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

no it smells because racecar

Last edited by FirstGen F-Body; 03-31-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How far back are your cats?
Old 03-31-2015, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
In an open area, I don't smell mine at all...pull it in to my garage, however, and you'll REALLY smell it.
+1. If you have a garage door opener and don't let it warm up, it shouldn't be bad but as soon as you sit there with it idling, it sux.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shippershack
Not to bring the thread back from the dead, but, is there anything to stop the stink? The smell, though very apparent after the 383 stroker upgrade, never bothered me that much. Yet, now with my two young boys, who got the muscle car gene from me, whom want to ride in the car once in a while, it worries me. I get light headed at stop lights sometime, and I don't want to choke them with Co2 and gas fumes in the back seat. I'm tuned, with a catted Y and Long tube headers, running ported heads, ported intake and custom cam....I guess that it is a side effect of running so much power, pushing so much exhaust, but I'm not looking to cause brain damage! After 3 tunes to get it right, perhaps I am running too rich, but is there anything to tone it down? I even had an exhaust shop check for leaks, but all was good they said.
I would have to thing it's in your tune, considering you're running cats, and what would be considered a small cam for a 383 cu.in. LS motor. So, what's you A/F ratio at idle, how's you mpg, did the same person tune it all three times..?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Anyone who claims it doesn't smell has lost their sense of smell. When I pull up behind an older vehicle at a light I can pretty quickly tell that they have no cats from the smell.

For N/A street car, I don't see any reason not to run cats besides cost. The cats on my ARH headers added $100 I think to the cost, but dramatically reduced raw fuel emissions and made things more pleasant. No significant loss of power versus without cats.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Anyone who claims it doesn't smell has lost their sense of smell. When I pull up behind an older vehicle at a light I can pretty quickly tell that they have no cats from the smell.

For N/A street car, I don't see any reason not to run cats besides cost. The cats on my ARH headers added $100 I think to the cost, but dramatically reduced raw fuel emissions and made things more pleasant. No significant loss of power versus without cats.
Agree with this. My cam has 22 deg of overlap and my ARH cats do a fine job of killing the smell. I was told they are good to 2000 degrees.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:40 AM
Staging Lane

i have a stock cam in mine and before i tuned my car my wife hated the smell. now its not that bad. but ill be intalling a cam soon. so we will see. you can always switch to e85 i hear it smells like popcorn.....i think i might

Quick Reply: No cats = always smell like gas?