Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear MTI Lid Does Not Seal to MAF

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clear MTI Lid Does Not Seal to MAF

When I first install my MTI clear lid and started up the car the rpm's dropped real low and eventually it died. I looked closely at the connection between the lid and the MAF and there are noticeable gaps. I'm using duct tape right now and thats working ok, but it doesnt look very good and I have to replace it often. Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem.

I did call MTI and the guy said they just use a band clamp and that holds it together and seals it. I think thats crap. If you tighten a band clap on the neck of that transparent lid enough to make it seal you'll probably crack the damn thing first.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

Try some adhesive rubber or foam weatherstripping from home depot.
Cheap, effective
Old 07-10-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

i used the band clamp from which i believe my stock air box came with. no cracks. no gaps.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DirtyJohn
Try some adhesive rubber or foam weatherstripping from home depot.
That would be a layer around the MAF end that goes into the lid increasing the diameter of the MAF end and filling the gaps.... in case it wasn't obvious/clear.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DirtyJohn
That would be a layer around the MAF end that goes into the lid increasing the diameter of the MAF end and filling the gaps.... in case it wasn't obvious/clear.
Oh yeah, that makes total sense. I'm probably gonna try that, thanks.

I guess my car is just odd. The angle that the maf has going into the lid just isn't right. It fits perfectly when its not on the car but once I try to install the lid/maf assembly on to the car the bottom of the maf pulls out of the neck of the lid just enough to leave a gap. In this application that band clamp is about as usefull as stoping a leak in a tire with scotch tape.