Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

many exhasut questions...louder

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default many exhasut questions...louder

So I don't plan on getting headers anytine soon because I don't have time to install them or anymore then 500 dollars to spend. I really want a little more sound out of my exhaust though. I have a borla catback and a lid. I was hoping to get a louder exhaust without the so called rasp that everyone is talking about on here. I am debating gutting the passanger cat, because they only plug the sniffer into the driver side for inspection. I'm not sure, however, if that may sound weird or still cause rasp. The other options would be to gut both cats, take them out altogether, change mufflers, maybe look and see the size plate that is in the borla now, or just wait on headers. Also, I have heard that taking the muffler off a ta will make it sound like complete crap. However, has anyone actually heard it, because I used to have a 5.0 mustang and everyone told me that taking the mufflers off that would sound like crap as well. I did it anyway and ever since had been told that it was one of the best sounding exhausts they'd ever heard. Just curious as to why a 5.0 mustang would sound so amazing without mufflers but an ls1 i heard sounds like ***. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do, or should I just wait for a set of headers?
Thanks for your help
-Brian
Old 07-12-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

headers are best, but may not be emission legal in your state. check it out first. if you want something in the mean time, try a loudmouth cat-back, and/or a cutout. an electronic cutout is probably the cheapest and easiest. its not permanant, makes it very loud, and adds power.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
an electronic cutout is probably the cheapest and easiest. its not permanant, makes it very loud, and adds power.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Teching In

electric cutout is what everyone keeps saying? Does anyone have prices of the cutout and round about install? Also, does anyone know why no mufflers sound so good on mustangs, but horrible on an ls1?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

do some online searches, or try the sponsors here. electric cutouts should run maybe $100-120, im guessing. install.....who knows, depends on the shop. you CAN do it yourself, if you have a good way of cutting/welding or banding the cutout in.

without mufflers....i have pacesetter LT, TSP catted Y, and loudmouth. thats about as loud as you can get, minus the cats. the loudmouth is just a hollow tube, no muffling or anything. next best thing to open headers (not including cats). it sounds pretty good to me.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
do some online searches, or try the sponsors here. electric cutouts should run maybe $100-120, im guessing. install.....who knows, depends on the shop. you CAN do it yourself, if you have a good way of cutting/welding or banding the cutout in.

without mufflers....i have pacesetter LT, TSP catted Y, and loudmouth. thats about as loud as you can get, minus the cats. the loudmouth is just a hollow tube, no muffling or anything. next best thing to open headers (not including cats). it sounds pretty good to me.
MORE THAN THAT.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

Ls1's sound like crap without a muffler, if you want your car louder get a slp resinator and just dump it after the ypipe.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:07 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

This isn't the exhaust forum....moving to External Engine.