Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more 02 simms, EPA gets Casper's Electronics!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
because you silly people...

big rigs are generally owned by MAJOR.. and i mean MAJOR companies.. shipping companies.. major factories, construction companies, ect who have lobbyists on their side, lining the pockets of certain congressman to not go after them, and keep business as usual...

the car enthusiests aftermarket doesnt have that kind of power,money, or influence with congressional lawmakers.. so.. they go after who they can...

i mean think about it... if the EPA shut down big rig diesel trucks.. the american economy would be in absolute chaos. every commodity we use is shipped by big polluting trucks..

need to find an alternate source of fueling for these trucks before you can go after them and shut them down..
I have to agree. We are living in a Capitalistic Republic, NOT a democracy. However, SEMA has some clout and an action committe I believe. However the EPA is a pretty big monolith and if they want to swing their hammer, better get out of the way. This action by the EPA was probably warranted by some little pencil neck behind a desk trying to make a name for himself. Motorsports as we know it is doomed to extinction unfortunately. It will change dramatically the more the government squeezes to force the consumer to buy less petrol and more bio.
---
The irony here is the government is pandering to the greenies. Arnold loves to ride around in his Denali 4x4's and Al Gore goes from event to event in his smoke belching jet.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
need to find an alternate source of fueling for these trucks before you can go after them and shut them down..
They sort of did. It's called low sulfur diesel. It's called the 2007 Heavy-Duty Highway Rule. The rule went into effect this year with a phased approach lasting until 2009.

Diesel emissions has been one of the biggest areas of research over the past several years. Go hang out some of the major institutional research labs (like MIT's Sloan center), and you'll see several projects being funded by companies trying to figure out how to make their engines meet future requirements.

It will only keep getting 'worse' from the perspective of emissions control.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:14 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by fuseone
and its dumb because they only use it on the rear o2's any how. the rear o2's really dont do that much
... except indicate whether or not the catalytic converters are working properly.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey it gives the EPA a job to do so they can maintain their funding. Who can blame em....
Old 07-17-2007, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if Casper's had the monetary resources, they could fight this and probably win, because it was marketed as "off road use only". but, when you step up to the plate with the EPA, you step up against a whole society of tree hugging liberals that want nothing more than to see anything over 2.0 liters be banished. and unfortunately, they have the upper hand because if someone comes out to speak against them, they slander them into submission, claiming that we dont care about the envrionment and hold a oil covered duck in the media's face saying its our fault because we bought $30 emissions defeaters.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:26 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I knew this was in the works for a long time. Thank goodness for LS1Edit and HPTuners.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe caspers should sell just the printed circuit boards and case's.
Then have a list of components you "could" buy from digi-key
Post assembly instructions on a web forum.
Then the customer could solder it all together like a megasquirt.
Could the EPA bitch then?

Originally Posted by fuseone
and its dumb because they only use it on the rear o2's any how. the rear o2's really dont do that much
wtf?
rear o2's monitor catalyst efficiency, if you remove the cats without rear o2's simulators you get a check engine light.

Last edited by Gen3Benz; 07-17-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:30 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

The EPA will bitch regardless. Kinda like the FCC won't allow us to have the cool cell phones they get overseas.

It is a shame what happened to Caspers. Government agencies want to have more control over the people/planet. That is just how it goes. Yeah, it's a free country, but we are still gonna tell you what to do.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are trying to clean up and go after groups that can't fight back or ones that matter to the US econ.

Sure alot of money is spent on modding cars but not enough to matter. Sorry each company making and selling these go fast parts could all shut down tommorow with out a blip to the stock market.

Also unlike say air travel or shipping, what defence do we as tuners have? ummm well i like to go faster with out cats vs the other coast wo'nt have food. Who do you think the goverment will listen to?

Stinks to see, but it was a matter of time.

There are other ways to get around this btw Tuners are a crafty group, how many people thought the EFI was then end of tuning, then the OBD2... list will just keep going and we'll keep going fast.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

SIMM's add weight, just tune them out.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:41 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by Checkmate
SIMM's add weight, just tune them out.
I'll say!
Old 07-17-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i might be wrong, but i vaguely remember my gearhead AP biology teacher telling me that the battery cells used in hybrids are about 5x as toxic as our emmisions, someone could probably elaborate on that.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:47 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

They would defend that with: "Anything can be toxic with the right amount."
Old 07-17-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gen3Benz
Maybe caspers should sell just the printed circuit boards and case's.
Then have a list of components you "could" buy from digi-key
Post assembly instructions on a web forum.
Then the customer could solder it all together like a megasquirt.
Could the EPA bitch then?
Yes they will bitch. If you read the PDF file, it states that Casper's may not provide ANY information about the details involved in building or manufacturing their O2 sensor simulators. Their design is not to be released to the public in any way, shape, or form.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:49 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Andrew....I bet you have made a set before.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope. Never have, never needed to...
Old 07-17-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

wtf, are they the only company that makes them?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:09 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by xBROKEx
wtf, are they the only company that makes them?
They basically led the market in about 90% of the production for several years. I am sure there is some nerds configuration of something that may work floating around eBay.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

I got mine from thunder racing, I wonder if they want mine. I just tuned them out, I could use the extra money
Old 07-18-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
i might be wrong, but i vaguely remember my gearhead AP biology teacher telling me that the battery cells used in hybrids are about 5x as toxic as our emmisions, someone could probably elaborate on that.
Not to get off topic but it is true that to buy a hybrid you cause just as much pollution as buying and driving a hummer h2. There use to be a article on the net(it has since been removed so I can't find it anywere) about it. Basically a hybrid need more batteries + the mine that the chemical extracted from did some major pulluting in canada lots of acid rain and other bad stuff. Plus just to fully make those batteries they are shipped around the world twice before they are a complete battery. Then a hybrid is only good for about 100,000 miles. The article basically said if you bought and drove a hybrid for 100,000 you caused more pollution as drive an h2 for 250,000. I'm sure i missed some points but I'm going of my memory here since the article was removed from the net. I'm sure so tree huggin hippes with some money threated to sue whatever newspaper it was so they took the article off the net.

Here is all you will find of the article on the net now

Back on topic I don't see how this is caspers fault they had a disclaimer saying for off road use only. Next will be all the header manufactures.

Quick Reply: No more 02 simms, EPA gets Casper's Electronics!