Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more 02 simms, EPA gets Casper's Electronics!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No more 02 simms, EPA gets Casper's Electronics!

We stopped carrying 02 simms awhile ago. Looks like the EPA got to Casper's -

http://www.fquick.com/blog/Caspers_E...led_by_the_EPA
Old 07-16-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's gay.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is so dumb. they try and stop every thing. its like we have cats and mufflers the o2 sims really dont do that much damage
Old 07-17-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Since when did the EPA start using RIAA tactics?

"Let's just pick a random company that is producing 'gray area' products and screw them over; maybe that will get the message across to the other million producers."

Sigh.....
Old 07-17-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

HA... lame.. i think their next target is going to be aftermarket computer software that allows you to "turn off" emissions control sensors... such as HP tuners.. EFI Live.. and so forth.. it may not happen soon.. but they went after Caspers.. it wont be long before they figure out about the aftermarket tuning world..
Old 07-17-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont think they will go after tuning software.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fuseone

why not? technically if you turn off the reporting info for emissions in HP tuners.. its basically the same as using an O2 sim.. except this not only turns off the O2's but also the AIR and EGR (for 98-00 cars)... why would they NOT go after them? i could see them getting an order for the makers of tuning software to no longer make the emissions tables accessable... thats totally feasable...
Old 07-17-2007, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

stupid F*cking enviromentalists!!!!
Old 07-17-2007, 01:44 AM
TECH Junkie

I hate govt. agencies that do stupid **** like this just to make more money... kinda like the speed camera's here in Phoenix...

Last edited by Soul TKR; 07-17-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
HA... lame.. i think their next target is going to be aftermarket computer software that allows you to "turn off" emissions control sensors... such as HP tuners.. EFI Live.. and so forth.. it may not happen soon.. but they went after Caspers.. it wont be long before they figure out about the aftermarket tuning world..
I almost hope they do that. The backlash would be so gigantic, the EPA would run crying to their collective mothers.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fuseone
Sorry, but dead wrong.

Tuning world will be a different landscape in the not too distant future. The concept of 'off-road use only' is going to drastically change and the number of parts/options available to us will become much more restricted.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:46 AM

I dont see them going after tuning software for that reason. The O2 simms ONLY function was to defeat pollution control devices. Tuning software can do that, but thats not its only use.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats ridiculous since they were marketed for off-road use only.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you want the full details you need to read the DoJ PDF - I posted a link here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....60&postcount=5

Casper's wasn't found "guilty" of anything. They agreed to a settlement. They are sending / have sent a letter to customers stating that they did not agree with the government's decision, but for financial reasons, are not fighting it. "Off Road Only" use or not, the gov't came after them, and they chose to settle (likely a wise move).

The actual numbers aren't too bad. They pay the gov't $20k now, and then $20k/yr for 3 years. In addition, they will buy back O2 simms. I wonder how many they'll actually buy back? I doubt it will even be 10% of the number that they sold.

At least Caspers can stay in business with these terms. A true lawsuit would have been a lot more financially and emotionally draining on them.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Teching In

So ridiculous...

This is getting stupid.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think its funny that our weekend, sunny day driven cars are the ones they chose to go after. Let's blind ourselves to the literally MILLIONS of semi's on the road, getting 8 MPG, belching black smoke, not to mention engine braking through neighborhoods at 2 AM (I believe the govt. calls this noise pollution)....

so I guess what it boils down to....I hate to say, LS1tech.com is responsible for all of the pollution in the entire universe!!!!! DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUN
Old 07-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
I think its funny that our weekend, sunny day driven cars are the ones they chose to go after. Let's blind ourselves to the literally MILLIONS of semi's on the road, getting 8 MPG, belching black smoke, not to mention engine braking through neighborhoods at 2 AM (I believe the govt. calls this noise pollution)....

so I guess what it boils down to....I hate to say, LS1tech.com is responsible for all of the pollution in the entire universe!!!!! DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUN
Exactly. There are so many other problems that matter other than the sports car groups that use off road pipes. I mean, really, how many people can POSSIBLY be running without cats, and what difference is it making in the grand scheme of things...
Old 07-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Teching In

The EPA goes after a small company that barely affects the amount of pollution added, but allows large corporations to sell pollution credits to other companies that are polluting way beyond what they are allowed to.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

because you silly people...

big rigs are generally owned by MAJOR.. and i mean MAJOR companies.. shipping companies.. major factories, construction companies, ect who have lobbyists on their side, lining the pockets of certain congressman to not go after them, and keep business as usual...

the car enthusiests aftermarket doesnt have that kind of power,money, or influence with congressional lawmakers.. so.. they go after who they can...

i mean think about it... if the EPA shut down big rig diesel trucks.. the american economy would be in absolute chaos. every commodity we use is shipped by big polluting trucks..

need to find an alternate source of fueling for these trucks before you can go after them and shut them down..
Old 07-17-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

and its dumb because they only use it on the rear o2's any how. the rear o2's really dont do that much

Quick Reply: No more 02 simms, EPA gets Casper's Electronics!