Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a better air cleaner lid than SLP?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007 | 03:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by F-117HWK
Because like u said I dont want to have to keep replacing it duh

Most people on here I have ever seen put the SLP fitment way above anything else so I dont know who u have been talking to, maybe people who didnt install it right? But mine was ABSOLUTLY perfect fitment and build quality wise couldnt ask for more.

Are u there installing the lid? do u know its the lid without a doubt? yeaaaaa...not saying its not but unless ur there u can only offer suggestions and speak from experience, and my experience is that the SLP is unrivaled by anything I have seen so to each his own. U dont like it obviously, cool.

No offense taken cuz mine fits perfectly so bash all u want on something that is fine

Oh and the SLP LM was perfect as well so I guess there is 1 more thing thats not a piece of crap huh?
Well, dyno numbers have proven lids and catbacks better than SLP's. Fitment isn't my only arguement here.
Old 07-18-2007 | 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

Sound and price is also a big factor in most people's exhaust choice. And the HP differences really are miniscule for most.

But yea, so have u been happy with your Kooks?
Old 07-18-2007 | 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by F-117HWK
Sound and price is also a big factor in most people's exhaust choice. And the HP differences really are miniscule for most.

But yea, so have u been happy with your Kooks?

PM sent on the Kooks.

It's been years since I bought my lid so I'm not really up to date on current lid prices but I know they are similar.

And when building a car for maximum horsepower, every little bit counts, because the car works as a complete system.

As for dyno shootout and their ratings you can see GMHTP November 2006 "Flipping our Lids". It was performed on a stock car. The SLP was not the worst, but it is the only lid made out of polypropylene instead of ABS like all of the others.

Isn't someone coming out with a totally new lid or something?
Old 07-18-2007 | 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

I know someone mentioned SLP was redesigning it...possibly better fitment? hahah. And also I thought there was someone toying with the idea of a totally new design but the consensus was kind of why change something thats not broken.

Thanks for the email!
Old 07-18-2007 | 08:52 PM
Launching!

I like my SLP lid and it seals really well. I think the clear ones are cooler though, and I've thought about changing it out for the bling factor.
Old 07-19-2007 | 12:29 AM
Teching In

I have the lid installed correctly. And it looked like all was fine. Two things made me think differently. First I use Amsoil and send in a sample of my oil to a lab once in awhile to check if all is well. This time a high silicon reading came back which is a relation to dirt ingestion. Second I just put a BBK throttle body on and thats when I noticed my bellow was coated with a fine coat of dirt inside. Both of these would not happen if the lid was sealing right. But it does look like it is fine the latches lock down and the tabs are all in the right place. For me its not worth wearing out the engine for the price of another lid.
Old 07-19-2007 | 01:08 AM
Teching In

Hey all I can find so far is a grantelli, LG, and whisper lid. They all look kind of cheap. Do you have any other companies/links?
Old 07-19-2007 | 07:44 AM
TECH Regular

Im pretty sure MTI is still a sponsor; remove if not.

http://www.motorsporttech.com/fbody_air_intake01.asp
Old 07-19-2007 | 08:31 AM
Pontiacerator
20 Year Member

I have a TSP lid which was reputed to be one of the best. When removing my TB, I found crap all over my MAF screen. Turned out there was a thread on it and the fix required filling in a couple of spots with silicone on the back. I also place a strip of weatherstripping on the top of the backside of the paper filter element. No problems since. You just have to carefully check your fitment and compensate a little here and there if neeed.

BTW, the polypropelene that SLP uses is better than the hard plastics that others do ... it will never crack.
Old 07-19-2007 | 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

"BTW, the polypropelene that SLP uses is better than the hard plastics that others do ... it will never crack."

Bingo
Old 07-20-2007 | 12:36 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same thing, before I shell out another $100 I was going to go into the lid and try some weatherstrip tape to seal up any gaps.
Old 07-20-2007 | 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have a problem with my slp lid you see it dont wanna push back far enough so the one clip always comes undone and i know its on there as good as any one can get it. and i just went out and took mine off to look at it and noticed there is like white marks on them little back tabs like there is stress marks on it. looks like they would crack off

Last edited by fuseone; 07-20-2007 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-20-2007 | 08:38 AM
Teching In

Thw white marks are normal it is just the contact point when the two pieces touch. I noticed that I had to cut down my bellow to get the lid to slide back far enough when I installed a BBK throttle body
Old 07-20-2007 | 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

SLP lids are the best fitting I've seen. ALL OF THE BAD fitting lids coming in the shop are not seated right... not pushed in all the way. The middle lip between the clips gose behind the lower airbox lip. NOT in front (you bend the clips and they pop off) NOT stacked on the lower lip.. NOT half over have under.
Old 07-20-2007 | 11:41 AM
Tech Resident

the people that have problems with the SLP lid use the stupid smooth bellows, or as i like to call it, the most useless mod on the market that does nothing but crack lids.

SLP lids are the best fitting and most durable lid on the market. your problem is that useless K&N filter. they don't give you any horsepower and they don't filter worth a damn. a paper filter will catch a lot more dirt than a K&N.
Old 07-20-2007 | 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Slp Lid

My slp lid doesnt fit good either, it is actually bowed and I bought it brand new. the biggest problem with it is that it doesnt go into the four slots properly. junk junk overpriced junk.
Old 07-20-2007 | 06:03 PM
Pontiacerator
20 Year Member

A friend of mine put on on the other day. He said installation became much easier once he took off the MAF and bellows and put it together off the car. It looks and fits great.
Old 07-21-2007 | 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

kind of makes me think now how much better the k and n air filter flows compaired to a paper one.

Quick Reply: Is there a better air cleaner lid than SLP?