Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Exhaust Mistakes Have You Made Before You Got it Right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought the car with what I believe was a Hooker cat-back, stock manifolds, stock y. Only problem was the pipes on the cat-back were rusted, and had a couple leaks, so I bought a new magnaflow c/b and loved it. Now I've got a small cam, SLP LT's, ORY, with the magnaflow c/b, and I love it even more. 1st time GO
Old 07-31-2007, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

I had flowmaster 80 then put in headers and homemade hpipe and delta 40 mufflers dumped I redid this setup twice for clearance. No clearance so I got Texas speed true duals and they gave me migranes so I had 3 inch mandrel from the cutoffs out the back with 3 in stainless tips. Very satisfied. No drone although you can't hear the cam as much these days. Very loud but not too bad inside the car.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I went from stock exhaust with some type of flowmaster muffler to Pacesetter LT's/ORY/Hooker and it had no deep sound to it and was pretty raspy and then I went to TSP true duals and never looked back. Now I am about to install Jet Hot LT's and TSP true duals on my 2nd car...I'll never have a y-pipe on my car again.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my mistake was not going with duals off the top . though i got a good deal on a borla with no plates when i first bought my ta years ago and thought it was a really great mod . good seat of the pants feel and a good sound considering all i had done was a lid .
next step was mac mids and duals that put down a best of 348rwhp and 355rwtq with a lid and bo white tb .
Old 07-31-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

My biggest mistake was spending money on a Y-Pipe and Cat back setup along with different mufflers, when i could have just slapped on the true duals and saved myself money, time, and frustration.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigman
My biggest mistake was spending money on a Y-Pipe and Cat back setup along with different mufflers, when i could have just slapped on the true duals and saved myself money, time, and frustration.
What kind of frustration? You just couldn't find a setup with a Y and catback that you liked the sound of, or was it another problem?
Old 07-31-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Wrong Brand LT's... Which came w/ a shitty Y, (Good cats, tho) .. The CB is OK... I deleted the cats, which I had to get cat delete pipes made, smashed the crap out of the Y because it didn't want to fit back on... I liked it at first, but I'm starting to think the sound of LT's ORY and a Borla w/ no plate is a bit on the raspy side.

I need tone and volume.. I LOVE it loud, but the high tone of the borla is getting really old..

I need to replace my entire exh... I SHOULD have gone w/ Pacesetter and an ORY, OR TD's, and a decent muffling system. I'd love TD's thru sweet thunder bullets.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made the mistake of using band clamps and the exhaust fell off twice before I got smart and had the **** welded.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Great post! Exhaust details and sound clips like this could take hours for a newcomer to put together-even if you know where to look. Great posts by asmodeus and others as well. I think this will be very helpful to alot of newbies and pros alike.

Keep 'em coming!

LOL out thanks. That should be a sticky....
Old 07-31-2007, 02:27 PM
Teching In

I would have to say I got mine very right the first time. I love the sound of my car, and everyone who rides in it loves the sound. This includes import guys and mustang guys who generally don't like the sound of LSX cars.

Although, I suppose you could say I sort of cheated, here goes:

FLP Long tube headers (For those that don't know, the FLP system has cats or straight pipes that bolt into the y-pipe. Takes about 20 minutes to swap em out)

Borla exhaust (For those that don't know has the adjustable plates to route more or less exhaust through the cutout or the muffler)

I say I cheated because I got to test an off-road y pipe with no cats, and when I didn't like it, I just switched the cats back into it instead of buying a whole new y pipe. Same with the exhaust, when the full block off plate is in, the car is too quiet for my tastes, so I was able to take it right back out and be loud without making any permanent changes.

I did my research for a long time before I bought either piece, and I could never come up with a solid enough answer as to what system sounds the best. I read all about people changing systems all the time to get the right sound, so I went with a system that is entirely customizable by hand in a matter of minutes.

If I had to do it all over again, I would do it exactly like I did it this time. No regrets what-so-ever.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dug
I was warned about the rasp so I went overkill with the muffler.
I was also warned about the LS1 rasp when I got my first car, so I went with the Hooker cat-back on stock manifolds/cats. It sounded almost identical to stock and I was dissapointed for sure. I was really amazed at how much the stock manifolds, cats, and y-pipe really muffle the LS1.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

As far as a catback goes, I knew I wanted to go with a Borla because of the sound and adjustability. I got that right.

First mistake: Getting mid-length headers instead of the LTs I wanted. I thought I would get by visual inspection easier (although I wasn't planning on having to go to a referee because of a ticket) so that turned into a waste of time. I was able to sell them without loosing too much money though, and put it toward a set of LTs.

Second mistake: Getting standard collector QTPs when I KNEW I wanted the HVMCs. Regardless of the opinion of their effectiveness, I wanted to get the HVMCs because I knew it wouldn't hurt to have them. They were still to expensive for my tastes so I went with the standard collector QTPs.

Third mistake: Not getting a tune from a good tuner. I got a mailorder tune and it ended up killing a cat' converter. That was a blessing, because my Y-pipe never fit inside my SFCs well, and having to replace the converters gave me a chance to change the Y-pipe a little bit and go with smaller converters.

Final mistake: Getting busted with LTs. LOL. What a pain here is Cali'.

IMHO, research and KNOW exactly what you want out of your exhaust. If you don't have the money for what you want, save up for it. For me, if I had done that, I wouldn't have been through three sets of headers before finding contentment with my exhaust system. I couldn't be happier with my QTPs, catd' Y-pipe, QTEC, and Borla. I can tune it on the street or strip and it would only be better if it were all T304.

Just my .02.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

First: ordered my 2002 SS brand new with MOST SLP options including the 345hp performance package. Pretty happy with is overall. Dyno'd at 310rwhp with 1700 miles on the odometer.

Second: The SLP Loudmouth was bought as a gift for me by my friends for redesigning their master bedroom. HUGE difference. Happy with it overall, however, my fiance thought it was WAAAAY too loud, hence, didn't like driving in it.......which leads to......

Third: GMMG. I read alot about it and I was looking for something a slightly quieter as well as less raspy, less drone, etc. and more throaty/ballsy. I did the research and the general consensus led me to GMMG. Couldn't be more happier with it. Will be getting it dyno'd soon for numbers.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1) Got the car, had a welded in 80 series flowmaster = Bad performance but nice sound.
2) Ditched the flowmaster and added the hooker c/b = Better performance and sound but quieter.
3) Added a cutout = louder and about the same performance. Ok sound.
4) Added pacesetter LT's and a tsp CATTED y pipe = NO added performance (ok well maybe about 8hp...seriously) anyways, (cutout closed) really clean sound. Not very loud until about 3000rpms. (cutout open) Loud but not overpowering, still a clean sound. Owe it all to the cats.
5) DMH e-cutout plate = best exhaust component. allows you to fine tune the sound by having it partially open/closed.

With the grand total being...$1150, not too bad, needless to say I installed everything myself.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I bought the car someone had replaced the stock muffler with a Flowmaster muffler. It was just a patched together looking piece of **** that sounded so-so.
I bought a Dynatech Supermaxx System. This is an all 304 stainless steel set of 1 3/4 inch LT headers with the matching high flow mini cats and y-pipe combo. Got it on sell for $1200 they use to be $1450. Then the car sounded like a Damn pickup truck coming down the road with that flowmaster still pieced in there. Well I couldn't stand that. So I bought me a Hooker Catback from TSP( it was on sale too!) and it sounded a whole lot better. Alot quieter than the Flowmaster at low RPMs around town and crusing on the interstate but really sounded good when you kicked it and the longtubes kicked in.
Then I changed cams to a MS4 and you couldn't tell what the car had in it because it was so quiet. So I bought a DMH electric cutout and have it mounted in that sweet spot under the rear passengers seat.
So now I can be super stealthy with the cutout closed or open the cutout and remove all doubt that this isn't your average Z28.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

1. Bought car with stock parts except for a Flowmaster 80 series welded in...sounded good, but looked ghetto.
2. Loudmouth...like the name implies.
3. Welded in Dynomax Bullet in place of the resonator...still too loud.
4. GMMG - Loved it with stock manifolds and y-pipe.
5. Added MAC headers & catless y-pipe....loud as friggin hell, but music at WOT. Gave me headaches.
6. Lane's 2.5" duals w/ Magnaflow Magnapacks - sounded good, but still very loud and I had trouble with scraping on everything (lowered with Hypercoils)
7. MACs, custom 2.5" mandrel bent y-pipe with Flowmaster merge collector, Hooker cat-back. Best sounding exhaust ever...I just hope it doesn't get too loud when I install the cam!
I spent way too much money on exhausts.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Did alot of reading and the first time round got the pacesetters with tsp ory and hooker cb. couldn't be happier with the sound, very docile around town and not to loud to have conversations while driving etc.... but when you get on it
Old 08-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Banned

Completely stock when purchased ~ran 13.80's at 99-100MPH with Mobil 1 extended synthetic oil.
Installed a SLP lid with a K&N also a Magnaflow replacement muffler only & German Castrol~ran 13.20's at 105 MPH.
Wasn't loud enough,installed a Dynomax Super Turbo. Felt faster & eventually got to sounding pretty good but developed a rattle inside the muffler so off it came , replaced by Texas Speed cat-back. WAY to loud which would have been ok except it had no good tone to it . Just sounded like a truck or tractor with no muffler. Like a real loud moaning sound that was not pleasant to the ear at all. Now at full throttle it was a different story. Made gobs of power & pulled to redline really hard and fast , and it sounded pretty good too but who drives at full throttle all the time.So now I'm back to my old Magnaflow , which I'm glad I saved. I've spent over $700.00 so far & I'm still not satisfied with the sound the bitch makes.****,I always thought that it was easy to get ANY V8 to sound decent but not an LS1.Sure hope GM invest a little resources into perfecting the sound of the next Camaro as believe it or not the sound is as important as the performance in a automobile. Have you ever heard a Viper ? Their fast as hell but they sound like ****.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

X pipe true dauls with dyno max mufflers........best sound for me, very loud but thats how I like it..

Open 3inch y pipe=SOUNDS LIKE **** only sounds good at full WOT but still its ok sound
Old 09-01-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

stock w/ loudmouth...was nice
mac's catted y with loudmouth...nice but tad too loud
macs catted y with hooker...liked it..wanted LT's
LT's...with open side exhaust..sounded insane..waay too loud
Lt's with ORY and a hooker...real nice..tucked up great
Turbo setup through hooker..17 psi on stock internals, and it was still quiet lol
$25 Macs, prochamber, dual 3" over axle to XR1's......loud
25$ Macs, cats, prochamber, dual 3" over axle to xr1's....sounds great but raspy

Next step...add baffle to prochamber.

Quick Reply: What Exhaust Mistakes Have You Made Before You Got it Right?