Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85mm vs 96mm Typhoon intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 11:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by craz1469
Why would he talk to them when he has done the work.
Talking to that company was directed at the original poster. It's good for one to call around and see what shops have experienced with aftermarket parts (especially newer parts on the market).

Originally Posted by craz1469

I believe you have this option with either intake.
Porting the FAST has shown great gains. I've never seen results with porting the Typhoon.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:36 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

get ls6 (cheap) or fast 90/90.
all others are just not worth the money or time.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well its true i have also heard sealing problems with the typhoon arent they made in china anyways!! lol but i could be wrong i heard they have a sealing problem becase of there casting
Old 08-05-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ae13291
arent they made in china anyways!! lol
People would be amazed by how many auto performance parts are made in China, Taiwan, etc. The labor and materials are so much cheaper over there. Let's face it folks; most of us are willing to over look the fact that many things we buy every day are manufactured in third world countries. We do this because it's cheaper and the quality is often comparable. I don't own a Professional Products intake, but I'm not going to say that I wouldn't just because it was made in China. The **** do I care?! As long as it gets the job done and it the same price or cheaper, I'm there. We're pretty much all shameless when it comes to that, some people just pretend not to be. Those brake rotors that you got from pep boys to put on your sisters VW? Probably made in china. Same with the cordless phone you got at Target, same as the lamps you got from Ikea. Some people think that putting an over-seas-made part of a US built performance car just isn't kosher. They probably don't understand that their engine block was most likely cast in Mexico by a guy named Juan who gets paid $11.75 for a 14 hour work day.

Lots of products are gong to have some issues when they are first introduced. They are usually revised pretty quickly and the issues get corrected. I seem to remember a representative of Prof. Products on this site explaining what the issues were with their manifolds and how they corrected them. I don't know what the issues were, but their stuff seems like a decent value for the most part. There are plenty of shops that won't install certain products. Try asking LG Motorsports to install a set of TSP C5 headers. I'll bet they would rather put a set of their own headers on there instead. Just because a shop doesn't want to install a certain product, that doesn't make that product worthless. Obviously some people have been able to make them work. Do they make the same HP as a FAST intake, maybe not. They do cost about half as much and you do get what you pay for. The FAST intake is a proven piece, especially after it has been ported by a skilled porter. That's the reason that both of my LS1 cars have FAST intakes. I may try out a Professional Products intake on the G/Fs 04 GTO at some point. If nothing else, it looks cool and comes with a billet fuel rail kit and it's cheaper than buying the FAST intake by its self. Another thing to consider... The cost of a 96mm Typhoon intake with the throttle body is not far off what you would have to pay for a BBK or Lingenfelter bare manifold and even less than a bare 78mm FASt before porting.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

If your still looking let me know. I have a polished 96mm new in the box, fuel rails and all hardware. I got a good deal on a fast so ended up using it. It's just sittin on the shelf so if interested i'll make a good deal on it. I can get pics also. Good luck with whatever you choose
Old 08-18-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

just answer the original question people...i modified it a little bit, but i think that this is what the original poster meant. forget all the bad news/gossip about the intake, Just answer this-->>>Will a intake that measures 96mm with a throttle body that measures 96mm (6mm bigger than the fast90/90) be too much/too big for a for a stock cubic inch (346) LS1 with a cam and supporting bolt-ons. I am interested also!!! let us know please. thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

anyone?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

I am needing to know this also before i purchase a 96mm intake
Old 08-29-2007, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

From my personal experience, go with another company. Too many problems and complaints about the Typhoon.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

It cant hurt to get the bigger one. But I would recommend tuning it for your application though.

Tim
Old 09-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Haha no one has a clue...
Old 07-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Launching!

my buddy has the 85mm typhoon and he has no problem with it at all, you just have to take your time to install it right or go to a shop. He also said unless you've got a whole bunch of HP, more then 600 or have a turbo or super charger, the 96mm is too big.. you'll have alot of volume but not enough velocity so there is really no point to it cause it won't give you more hp. He also said the way it is shaped is what helps give it more velocity which will get you more power... also an ls6 intake and Fast 90 cost more and don't deliver much more hp.. my buddy is running about 500HP and the 85mm typhoon still worked better then the 96mm typhoon... when we put the 96mm typhoon in, we felt less throttle reponse, and we didn't feel as much tourqe and lower RPM or speeds... but it did feel more powerfull when going in excess of about 160MPH..

my opinion get the 85mm typhoon you'll be happy, i know we were, and its definatly better then the LS6 cause thats what we used to have, we felt the difference when we installed it. if you have problem instlling it pm me and i'll get him to give you some pointer in how to get it to work right cause the leaks everyone keeps mentioning are very easily avoidable
Old 07-13-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless your pushing big cubic inches or a FI motor do not go with 96mm. Stick with the 85mm. I personally have to typhoon intake and tb and it is a great piece of work. Lots of room for porting a polishing. Looks great polished as well. Like a lot fo other poeple have said. They had a few problems with parts when they first came out but the kit includes everything that you will need and the fuel leaks were caused by inproper installation. The gaskets look great and seem like they will seal perfectly fine. Just follow the torque sequence and take your time with the install and I couldnt imagine having any problems. Mine is not installed as of right now because im getting it dyno'd on the 19th and then everything installed including my N2O kit. Then tuned
Old 07-13-2008, 05:50 PM
9 Second Club

i bought the 85 MM Typhoon intake and TB with fuel rails this last march and didn't have a prob with it at all, fuel rails did leak in a spot...Teflon fixed it right up! I'm still running the intake now with no probs, and the aluminum looks cool on top of the all aluminum LS1 I have not had it dynoed with the good tune yet. Last time it was dynoed A/F was 12.7 and the car made 413 RWHP with the MS3 and stage 2.5 5.3 heads and mods in SIG. A/F is now at 13.3 and have not had it dynoed yet...also i only had a CRAPPY 2.5" y-pipe at the time with a 90 degree merge....now have the 3" Flowmaster merge!
Old 07-14-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just go with the 85mm Typhoon and save the money for so other mods and you will be happier.

Quick Reply: 85mm vs 96mm Typhoon intake