Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85mm vs 96mm Typhoon intake

Old 07-31-2007, 09:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 85mm vs 96mm Typhoon intake

Would 96mm w 96mm TB Typhoon intake be too big for my setup? Or should I go with the 85mm? I currently have 224/224 cam with full exhaust and small 75hp shot. I would like to do heads in the next year or two. So what sise intake should I go with 85mm or 96mm. Bigger is always better in my mind but what do you guys think??
Old 07-31-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ls6 intake, with a stock ported throttle body
Old 07-31-2007, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

No LS6. Every one has that. Whats that a front wheel drive Z28!!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

I dont know maybe I should just get the LS6 intake and ported TB and be done with it.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

ls6is good not sure on any flow data on the typhoon .
would be interesting to see a flow chart on one being that an ls6 stalls around .500 at 26x if memory serves
Old 07-31-2007, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a ls6 to a 85mm typhoon with a port and polish 85mm tb and could feel a differents.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

Why did you go with 85 and not 96?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

There are not a lot of 96+mm throttle bodies on the market (that are not rediculously expensive) right now. I have seen/heard decent reviews of the 85mm Typhoon, but I have not seen any on the 96mm yet.

If you were to go with the 85, Summit makes a good TB for it for a very nice price (~170 I think).
Old 08-01-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

Save your pennies and buy a FAST 90 and 90mm throttle body when you can afford it.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

I read that the PP 96mm TB is comming out in Sept.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:08 PM
12 Second Club

I can afford the Fast 90/90 but dont want to spend that much when I could get the Typhoon for 430$ and dont have to worry about nitrous backfire. I have been contimplating on these dam intakes for too long and need to decide. Plus Typhoon looks cool and no one has them. 85mm or 96mm Fast 90mm or 76mm
Old 08-01-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

Well in that case, get the 96mm. No reason not to go bigger. I'd rather use a Nick Williams or FAST 90mm throttle body just because I know they work.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Here is your best advice in this thread.

Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1
I dont know maybe I should just get the LS6 intake and ported TB and be done with it.
Originally Posted by Zger
Save your pennies and buy a FAST 90 and 90mm throttle body when you can afford it.

Let me worn you that installing a Typhoon is not a simple bolt-on.

You will:

A. have leaks with their fuel rails and
B. could have problems with it sealing because of a poorly designed gasket.

Similar in price is the BBK SSI aluminum manifold. New Era Performance, http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com, sells them for around $400. Some guy posted a nice scan of an article with some good information on it a few weeks ago.

Personally I wouldn't spend $400 on the Typhoon because of the horror stories I have heard with intstallation.

Here are two other interesting facts:

- the local LS1 speed shop (LS1TECH sponsor), New Era Performance, will not even install the Typhoon intake on customers' cars

- some LS1TECH sponsors, including Exotic Performance Plus, stopped selling the product because of all the problems

P.S. I hate to burst your bubble, but somebody had to break the news to you.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

**** it I will just get the FAST 90. Is there a cheaper TB to run with it? Summit racing 85mm? Thanks for all the input so far
Old 08-01-2007, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chae

You will:

Similar in price is the BBK SSI aluminum manifold. New Era Performance, http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com, sells them for around $400. Some guy posted a nice scan of an article with some good information on it a few weeks ago.

Personally I wouldn't spend $400 on the Typhoon because of the horror stories I have heard with intstallation.

- the local LS1 speed shop (LS1TECH sponsor), New Era Performance, will not even install the Typhoon intake on customers' cars

- some LS1TECH sponsors, including Exotic Performance Plus, stopped selling the product because of all the problems

It's not hard to install. And your gonna have fuel leaks anytime you build a new fuel system with A/N fittings. The gaskets fit fine you just have to make sure you lower the intake on it and not slide it.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1
**** it I will just get the FAST 90. Is there a cheaper TB to run with it? Summit racing 85mm? Thanks for all the input so far
Then you always have the option to have it ported in the future
Old 08-02-2007, 05:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got the Typhoon 96MM but I am still a couple more months from getting everything else together. I will probably get a NW 90 throttle body. It may be too big for my current setup, but with a larger engine next year, it should work better.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chae

You will:

I wish you'd stop spreading this crap. All the gasket problems have been corrected and a little teflon tape fixes the fuel leaks.. like it does on any braided line and AN fitted couplings will without tape. If New Era can't install an intake manifold, maybe they should call one of my local speedshops, Outlaw Motorsports, another sponsor, and ask them how to do it because they've not had a problem with it at all. Not mine, not the other guy who was also in for work while mine was, nor any of the others they've done. Maybe it's the Chicago ingenuity that makes things work and makes cars faster than other cities, I don't know..

So your points A and B have both been corrected, what do you have to back you up now? Nothing? ok, that's what I thought..
Old 08-02-2007, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
I wish you'd stop spreading this crap. All the gasket problems have been corrected and a little teflon tape fixes the fuel leaks.. like it does on any braided line and AN fitted couplings will without tape. If New Era can't install an intake manifold, maybe they should call one of my local speedshops, Outlaw Motorsports, another sponsor, and ask them how to do it because they've not had a problem with it at all. Not mine, not the other guy who was also in for work while mine was, nor any of the others they've done. Maybe it's the Chicago ingenuity that makes things work and makes cars faster than other cities, I don't know..

So your points A and B have both been corrected, what do you have to back you up now? Nothing? ok, that's what I thought..
New Era will install LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7, L76, BBK, FAST, Harrop, sheet metal, etc. but not the Typhoon. I wonder why? Because they ran into problems and customers didn't like it. I was in the market to buy one, but was glad to read about these issues. Just posting to help the guy consider everything besides just power gains.

Exotic Performance Plus took it off their website and doesn't sell it for a reason. Maybe you should talk to them

Many people I know fight for free speech in the USA
Old 08-02-2007, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

New Era will install LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7, L76, BBK, FAST, Harrop, sheet metal, etc. but not the Typhoon. I wonder why? Because they ran into problems and customers didn't like it. I was in the market to buy one, but was glad to read about these issues. Just posting to help the guy consider everything besides just power gains.

Exotic Performance Plus took it off their website and doesn't sell it for a reason. Maybe you should talk to them
Well I have personal experience installing it and I'm sure Asmodeus does too. Why would he talk to them when he has done the work. The longest part of the install is putting the fuel rails together. I did that part sitting on my couch watching tv a couple of weeks before I ever had time to install the intake it self. Your giving out info that you have no personal knowledge about.

Then you always have the option to have it ported in the future
I believe you have this option with either intake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 85mm vs 96mm Typhoon intake