Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weiand or LS6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this write up made my mind up with going to the LS6 http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic...ight=flow+data
Old 08-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Launching!

i guess it depends on what you are gonna do really. nitrous/force fed applications would benefit greater from it. stockish motors are gonna benefit some from both, but its the weight and heat issues might not make it worth it to go aluminum.

Last edited by fastvert; 08-01-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
I would go LS6. Not a chance I would put an aluminum intake on. I have seen the heat soak issues on the dyno. That being said, buying one of those intakes you are already half way to a 90mm setup...
There it is....straight from a sponsor.....Im sure they have a experience with all kinds of set ups and if they prefer an LS6 over aluminum then so would I.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastvert
Quoted from chevyhiperformance:

"Our first question for BBK VP and chief engineer Ken Murphy was, "why aluminum?" After all, the sand cast SSI manifold weighs 24.85 lbs compared to the stock LS1s 9.45, a 15 pound difference. Murphy had several answers for us. "You cant blow up our manifold with nitrous like you can a plastic one," he commented. Bryan Rogers echoed by saying, "you can run ridiculous amounts of boost with this thing." Aluminum also permits porting which isnt possible with most of the plastic intakes. Murphy also mentioned a very basic reason, looks. We cant argue there since this is a well finished and good looking piece. As far as heat retention, Murphy told us that plastic gets just as soaked as aluminum; its the heat up and cool down rates that differ.

The biggest reason Murphy gave us for going aluminum, however, is shape. "you cant get the shapes dialed in with plastic like you can with sand-cast aluminum," he told us. And in the quest to move as much air as possible into the combustion chambers, shape is critical. The SSI series intake's rounded runners are just plain bigger and less restrictive than the GM intakes D shaped runners. Combined with the intakes bigger then OEM 80mm "strait through" throttle inlet the BBK is designed to move more air, which in this case leads to more power."

the full article this is pulled from can be found here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/743203-opinions-bbk-ssi-intake-manifold.html

i guess it depends on what you are gonna do really. nitrous/force fed applications would benefit greater from it. stockish motors are gonna benefit some from both, but its the weight and heat issues might not make it worth it to go aluminum.
I reposted the GMHTP mag on page 1 of this thread...
Old 08-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Launching!

whoops got so excited to throw in my 2cents i didnt read everything... fixed now!
Old 08-01-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fastvert
whoops got so excited to throw in my 2cents i didnt read everything... fixed now!
Old 08-01-2007, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Default here ya go

Originally Posted by GT Griller
There it is....straight from a sponsor.....Im sure they have a experience with all kinds of set ups and if they prefer an LS6 over aluminum then so would I.
yeah he can keep sellin his customer a plastic intake every
time it explodes during a backfire.....

heres one right from the stickies.....click here then click where it says here

the weiand keeps up withb the fast untill.250 lift......

its really a matter of prefferance....Im totaly against plastic but im an n20 user...and i like being able to port the weiand....
Old 08-01-2007, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
yeah he can keep sellin his customer a plastic intake every
time it explodes during a backfire.....

heres one right from the stickies.....click here then click where it says here

the weiand keeps up withb the fast untill.250 lift......

its really a matter of prefferance....Im totaly against plastic but im an n20 user...and i like being able to port the weiand....
Are u talking about nitrous backfires? I agree if and u had read my first post u would have realized that i said if ur gonna spray or boost it go aluminum......On the other hand, if ur nitrous is setup right and with all ur safety options and tuned, u shouldnt have a backfire.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

These threads always turn into the same thing.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

u shouldnt have a backfire
correct but anything is possible....
Old 08-01-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GT Griller
Are u talking about nitrous backfires? I agree if and u had read my first post u would have realized that i said if ur gonna spray or boost it go aluminum......On the other hand, if ur nitrous is setup right and with all ur safety options and tuned, u shouldnt have a backfire.
never assume it won't happen, everyone knows when you make an assumption you make an *** out of you and umption

i have a ported LS6 manifold myself, but i'm still wanting a Weiand intake
Old 08-01-2007, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by King Nothing
never assume it won't happen, everyone knows when you make an assumption you make an *** out of you and umption

i have a ported LS6 manifold myself, but i'm still wanting a Weiand intake
True, but a mail order tune for my cam on the stock ls1 intake and 100 shot, still no boom for me.....but like u said u never know.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

iv had the pro products and i sold it to go back to an ls6
Old 08-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Looks like the Weiand flows better than the LS6 in the intake manifold flow chart. And no one has anything to say about that? Don't you make more power when you can move more air?
Old 08-01-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by azxic
iv had the pro products and i sold it to go back to an ls6
i love you're sig man, FAST FORWARD as in 4X4 lol and front tires roastin..

either way i baught my LS6 last night so well find out soon
Old 08-01-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Alt
Looks like the Weiand flows better than the LS6 in the intake manifold flow chart. And no one has anything to say about that? Don't you make more power when you can move more air?
not by much, and only significantly at .200 while using a larger throttle body, being cleaned up and port matched, I'd say that says a lot for the LS6 intake.

excerpt from the flow test post: "If one were able to rework the LS6 manifold for a larger throttle bore, I'm sure the flow numbers would improve substantially. This manifold was bone stock. Both the Fast and Weiand were cleaned up internally and port matched."
Old 08-02-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
I would go LS6. Not a chance I would put an aluminum intake on. I have seen the heat soak issues on the dyno. That being said, buying one of those intakes you are already half way to a 90mm setup...

It would be interesting to see evidence of intake heat soak by itself causing lost power. Air is in the aluminum head for @ least as long if not longer than it is in the intake. I believe that overall engine heat soak causes reduced power that gets blamed on the intake. Are you saying that a car warmed up to operating temperature (coolant & oil) using an aluminum intake making 5-6 dyno pulls will show more of a power reduction in percentage than the same car using a plastic intake w/ the same (coolant & oil) temperature @ the same ambient temperature, on the same day, same dyno cooling fan, same open or closed hood, humidity, elevation, & dyno setting? If you have this or know where this information can be found, it would be interesting to see (including coolant & oil temps.). If any of the these, & probably a few other, parameters are different, then it can't be said that the intake is the cause of the power difference.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Well I can say that I did miss the port matched and internal cleaning, looks like the LS6 then does flow quite well in comparison.