Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Victor Jr EFI vs. Fast 90

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Dynojet Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
No but I figure he would give me a better deal to do both of them since I own a vic jr and my buddie has a fast and we are willing to do the testing. This way you have the same person porting the intakes BTW I have never once got anything for free when it came to performance

Cool, good job stepping up to the plate....
Old 08-19-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ron/Tony... In my set-up, I will be running a Jr. intake. I'll be running anywhere from 10-18lbs of boost. (800-1000hp) What would, in your opinion, be the better style TB? 4bbl or mono blade with elbow? Also, if I went with a mono blade, what size would you recommed? (mostly street driven)

Im running the Jr because Im not sure the FAST will take 18lbs of boost, and I like the even displacement of air/fuel to all cylinders.

Thanks - Ron
Old 08-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Launching!

very interesting.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TT402LS1
Ron/Tony... In my set-up, I will be running a Jr. intake. I'll be running anywhere from 10-18lbs of boost. (800-1000hp) What would, in your opinion, be the better style TB? 4bbl or mono blade with elbow? Also, if I went with a mono blade, what size would you recommed? (mostly street driven)

Im running the Jr because Im not sure the FAST will take 18lbs of boost, and I like the even displacement of air/fuel to all cylinders.

Thanks - Ron
As I said....I know a few people running close to that. In fact Speedracer just went nines at 150 trap speed (insane!) at 16 lbs and change and is now making 17.5 with a shorter belt (slight belt slip with the longer one).

Regarding the Vic Jr TB I would go with the largest CFM piece you can find up to say 2000 CFM's....any more than that could create drivabitity issues from too sensitive a TB (uncovering too much air too quickly). I imagine the monoblade housings will outflow the 4-hole set-up but I would want to confirm that the monoblade wont cause tuning issues. I think the 4-hole would be easier to modulate. Do your homework before you move on either.

JMBlown WS6....drop me a PM or better yet a phonecall at AFR. We can discuss potentially what we need to do to move foward with this. I need some time as well....buried in other work/projects so 30-60 days out works better for me anyway.

(661)257-8124 Ext. 109

Regards,
Tony
Old 08-19-2007, 03:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR

JMBlown WS6....drop me a PM or better yet a phonecall at AFR. We can discuss potentially what we need to do to move foward with this. I need some time as well....buried in other work/projects so 30-60 days out works better for me anyway.

(661)257-8124 Ext. 109

Regards,
Tony
Tony I will be on the road going to LME to pickup and drop off some engines so I will give you a call! Im glad I can help and look forward to doing an accurate test for you!
Old 08-19-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GoatChs
Tony/Ron: I have a similar question to above...does all of the Fast v. Victor argument go out the window when we discuss forced induction? I am currently running an unported Victor w/elbow on my turbo 408. Looking at the graphs posted, I'm wondering if I am not leaving 50hp/tq on the table with my setup...or if it does not apply in my application?
Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
I believe the pressurized intact tract will mask alot of the 90' elbow Vic Jr.'s short comings but the power curve will still show a similar trend. Down quite abit on TQ in the lower RPM's, finally getting close or possibly exceeding the FAST upstairs. With the blower your making so much power and TQ missing a little in the middle isnt as great a concern. I would be interested to see what a ported FAST would do on your set-up. It would be a cool test.

Looking good by the way....do you have a gragh of your current results you can post? Regards, Tony
Tony, all dyno graphs are with my tuner as we are still 'working the kinks out' on my setup, but could easily be posted...I'll link him to this thread and get that going. But to give some specs and background, the following is my setup:

408 ci iron block with Pro-Gram billet mains
Diamond 4.030 -15.0cc pistons, #11521 w/ Polydyne coated faces & skirts
Diamond Pro Select moly-coated rings, #09064030
Cola 4340 forged crankshaft – 4.000” stroke, #CLSA40008S
Lunati Pro Billet rods 6.125”, part #LTE9
AFR 225 unported heads w/ Crane springs #144832
Crane 1.7 Gold Race rocker arm kit, #144750-16
MTI Y1 Cam 234/240, .598/.608 - 116 LSA
Morel hydraulic roller lifters
ARP main & head studs
Rear mount turbo, PTE 76GT S-trim .96 AR
Custom 3" pipe-hot & cold, ITS IndyGate 51mm WG, 32x10x3.5 IC
Ported oem exhaust manifolds
Edelbrock Victor Jr w/ elbow, Nick Williams 90mm TB
96 lb MSD injectors w/ AED impedance inverter
Nasty Perf tank, Magnafuel Protuner 750 pump, -10an feed/-8an return
2-bar SD tune using HPTuners

The dyno runs have been made through the T-56 manual, currently 3.73 gears but changing to a 9" rear with 3.50 gears before any further runs, 26" MT drag radials on a Dynojet. The turbo setup was originally an STS kit with the std STS piping and Tial 38mm WG & IC. At 8 lbs boost it dyno'd 560/560 at 4200 where it flatlined. We fabricated 3" aluminum intake piping, 3" mild steel hot side piping, installed a larger IC and wastegate, and the engine now continues making power to redline. We tuned to 12 lbs and found that we had issues in the lower end--low compression in cylinders 1 & 3. So the engine is out and being freshened up. Once it goes back in we'll pick up where we left off.

My tuner and I are both extremely curious about this subject, as he is a big fan of the FAST intakes. It appears that JM is going to be able to provide a supercharger test bed for this FAST v. Victor Jr shootout. I would like to be test #2 with a turbo application, if interested. A third test and fourth test on an N/A and on a nitrous application would be great to see how each responds and what benefits/deficiencies are experienced with each.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoatChs
Tony, all dyno graphs are with my tuner as we are still 'working the kinks out' on my setup, but could easily be posted...I'll link him to this thread and get that going. But to give some specs and background, the following is my setup:

408 ci iron block with Pro-Gram billet mains
Diamond 4.030 -15.0cc pistons, #11521 w/ Polydyne coated faces & skirts
Diamond Pro Select moly-coated rings, #09064030
Cola 4340 forged crankshaft – 4.000” stroke, #CLSA40008S
Lunati Pro Billet rods 6.125”, part #LTE9
AFR 225 unported heads w/ Crane springs #144832
Crane 1.7 Gold Race rocker arm kit, #144750-16
MTI Y1 Cam 234/240, .598/.608 - 116 LSA
Morel hydraulic roller lifters
ARP main & head studs
Rear mount turbo, PTE 76GT S-trim .96 AR
Custom 3" pipe-hot & cold, ITS IndyGate 51mm WG, 32x10x3.5 IC
Ported oem exhaust manifolds
Edelbrock Victor Jr w/ elbow, Nick Williams 90mm TB
96 lb MSD injectors w/ AED impedance inverter
Nasty Perf tank, Magnafuel Protuner 750 pump, -10an feed/-8an return
2-bar SD tune using HPTuners

The dyno runs have been made through the T-56 manual, currently 3.73 gears but changing to a 9" rear with 3.50 gears before any further runs, 26" MT drag radials on a Dynojet. The turbo setup was originally an STS kit with the std STS piping and Tial 38mm WG & IC. At 8 lbs boost it dyno'd 560/560 at 4200 where it flatlined. We fabricated 3" aluminum intake piping, 3" mild steel hot side piping, installed a larger IC and wastegate, and the engine now continues making power to redline. We tuned to 12 lbs and found that we had issues in the lower end--low compression in cylinders 1 & 3. So the engine is out and being freshened up. Once it goes back in we'll pick up where we left off.

My tuner and I are both extremely curious about this subject, as he is a big fan of the FAST intakes. It appears that JM is going to be able to provide a supercharger test bed for this FAST v. Victor Jr shootout. I would like to be test #2 with a turbo application, if interested. A third test and fourth test on an N/A and on a nitrous application would be great to see how each responds and what benefits/deficiencies are experienced with each.

I really hope you guys are serious about doing some research into this subject. I cant wait to see the results
Old 08-20-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Resident

Default just shut up-

Originally Posted by VH5150
Lets see if Mr. Mamo comes through... or possibly Ron...

This will put the debate to rest once and for all...

JM, I dont think tony will port the intakes for free do you....??
i come to this site to learn and see whats working or not-i have bought some things from some of the vendors on here-because-info and service was great-

but looking at your comments- u have nothing good to say-

why is that?

credit must be given where its due-if u were so good how come i have not seen any info or work from your behalf?

if u don't want to share-u should not have a say-

i thought if u are so good at something u show the world what u have to offer-(**** does not count)

if you only have negative things to say and insult to others u should just hold up as their is always someone who knows better-than u and me-

thats a fact of life-

i was liking this thread as i have both the intakes on discussion and was happy reading valueable info as its fine having the parts-but knowing what to do is an-other problem

so dont act like a kid-unless u have something valueable to say-

i do agree with u that track time counts-but in this world of testing parts and combo's=i do reckon that engine dyno's+chasis dyno's are a good tool to prepare the car+engine to suit any track need's

so i base this argument as a 50/50 win win-the only people wrong here is the one's with negative assumptions like u-

Last edited by njc.corp; 08-20-2007 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:12 AM
Dynojet Fan

Originally Posted by njc.corp
i come to this site to learn and see whats working or not-i have bought some things from some of the vendors on here-because-info and service was great-

but looking at your comments- u have nothing good to say-

why is that?

credit must be given where its due-if u were so good how come we have not seen any info or work-

i thought if u are good at something u show the world what u have to offer-

if you only have negative things to say and insult to others u should just hold up as their is always someone who knows better-than u and me-

thats a fact of life-

i was liking this thread as i have both the intakes on discussion and was happy reading valueable info as its fine having the parts-but knowing what to do is an-other problem

so dont act like a kid-unless u have something valueable to say-

i do agree with u that track time counts-but in this world of testing parts and combo's=i do reckon that engine dyno's+chasis dyno's are a good tool to prepare the car+engine to suit any track need's

so i base this argument as a 50/50 win win-the only people wrong here is the one's with negative assumptions like u-

I only care about the track, not dyno #'s.... I have a funny feeling that tony or ron wont come through worth a **** on this deal... Reason being is cause, when the true results come out, it will hurt their ported FAST sales...period....

cry youre BS somewhere else....
Old 08-20-2007, 10:01 AM
FormerVendor

I only care about the track, not dyno #'s.... I have a funny feeling that tony or ron wont come through worth a **** on this deal... Reason being is cause, when the true results come out, it will hurt their ported FAST sales...period....

cry youre BS somewhere else....
LMFAO... I port Vic Jrs too I could give a rats *** which one works better, I just happen to know that 90% of the people out there will have better luck with the FAST.....on the dyno AND ON THE TRACK.... BTW, I have yet to see you post ANY track #s of YOUR OWN cars... I know I am running 9s out of a lil 347 with a PORTED FAST on it... Must be your friends cars that actually go fast huh
Old 08-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Teching In

i was thinking of adding a victor Jr intake manifold with the 90 degree elbow on my 4.8L in my truck but i'm not sure if it will benefit any of my needs......My truck doesnt rev as high as all of your F-bodys.... most it goes is around 6000rpms.... Do you think i will see any increase in power over stock with this intake setup even though my truck is not going to exceed the 6000 range?? I was planning on going with a 80mm BBK throttle body since my truck has the electronic throttle cable...and i was looking into a 224/224 563"/563" 112LSA cam with ported and polished 5.3L heads
Old 08-20-2007, 02:57 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by DubDuece
i was thinking of adding a victor Jr intake manifold with the 90 degree elbow on my 4.8L in my truck but i'm not sure if it will benefit any of my needs......My truck doesnt rev as high as all of your F-bodys.... most it goes is around 6000rpms.... Do you think i will see any increase in power over stock with this intake setup even though my truck is not going to exceed the 6000 range?? I was planning on going with a 80mm BBK throttle body since my truck has the electronic throttle cable...and i was looking into a 224/224 563"/563" 112LSA cam with ported and polished 5.3L heads

You most likely will loose power over your stock intake.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Teching In

thanks for the FYI...
Old 08-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Dynojet Fan

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
LMFAO... I port Vic Jrs too I could give a rats *** which one works better, I just happen to know that 90% of the people out there will have better luck with the FAST.....on the dyno AND ON THE TRACK.... BTW, I have yet to see you post ANY track #s of YOUR OWN cars... I know I am running 9s out of a lil 347 with a PORTED FAST on it... Must be your friends cars that actually go fast huh

I dont need to post what my car run's.... Its my business....
Old 08-20-2007, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

I'd be real interested in the results of a ported jr./FAST track shootout.
I've seen the dyno.... I've yet to see anyone show us real world track numbers comparing the two. It was my intention to run the Jr. last weekend at the track and see for myself, but between the heat and a mild case of thought I was gonna die(food poisoning), I didn't make it out.

I understand that Jr. needs a high spinning cam with much different VE's on the 1-2-7-8 holes, than that of a grind which optimizes the FAST.

No doubt, a Jr. "can" be "made" to flow a big number, but explain to me how an unequal length runner can be optimized so that ALL runner volume/velocities remain fairly close to one another on all eight holes. As I mentioned previously, my testing showed 1-2-7-8 were fat as *****, and 3-4-5-6 were lean as ****.

Unless you're spinning big cubes high enough, and/or moving enough air (IE: FI)to compensate for the plain to see inherant/ inadequate flow "tendencies" of the Jr.(IE: air having to make a 90* turn to fill the longer outside runners while maintaining nearly the same volume/velocity as the inside runners......I just don't see HOW Jr. is going to work better than the FAST even with extensive porting/reshaping).

If someone wants to explain to my dumb *** how to do it with my CI's., spinning it to only 7k(using a grind with PROVEN VE's that will overcome ALL of the above), and not only pick up what I lost, but gain a few, please PM me. I'm all ears. Believe me, I really wanted/expected this to do better than it did.

VH5150- It seems as if my results have hit a tender nerve with you, sending you into state of mental instability. You aren't helping your argument bashing two of the more enlightened minds on this board.

Other than what your "experts" (who are more informed than Tony/Ron and others who have done the testing), and the few here who have seen positive results in their high spinning combo's....

.......what have YOUR tests on YOUR motor shown? You don't have to tell us what it runs per se, just the gains(mph)/differences.

I didn't post to this thread to bash Jr., but more to show MY results to others in an effort to help those who are running similar setups make an informed decision.

I'm done with this thread. Do as you see fit. Good luck to all in their future modding endeavers-
Old 08-20-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SLowETz
I've seen the dyno.... I've yet to see anyone show us real world track numbers comparing the two. It was my intention to run the Jr. last weekend at the track and see for myself, but between the heat and a mild case of thought I was gonna die(food poisoning), I didn't make it out.

I understand that Jr. needs a high spinning cam with much different VE's on the 1-2-7-8 holes, than that of a grind which optimizes the FAST.

No doubt, a Jr. "can" be "made" to flow a big number, but explain to me how an unequal length runner can be optimized so that ALL runner volume/velocities remain fairly close to one another on all eight holes. As I mentioned previously, my testing showed 1-2-7-8 were fat as *****, and 3-4-5-6 were lean as ****.

Unless you're spinning big cubes high enough, and/or moving enough air (IE: FI)to compensate for the plain to see inherant/ inadequate flow "tendencies" of the Jr.(IE: air having to make a 90* turn to fill the longer outside runners while maintaining nearly the same volume/velocity as the inside runners......I just don't see HOW Jr. is going to work better than the FAST even with extensive porting/reshaping).

If someone wants to explain to my dumb *** how to do it with my CI's., spinning it to only 7k(using a grind with PROVEN VE's that will overcome ALL of the above), and not only pick up what I lost, but gain a few, please PM me. I'm all ears. Believe me, I really wanted/expected this to do better than it did.

VH5150- It seems as if my results have hit a tender nerve with you, sending you into state of mental instability. You aren't helping your argument bashing two of the more enlightened minds on this board.

Other than what your "experts" (who are more informed than Tony/Ron and others who have done the testing), and the few here who have seen positive results in their high spinning combo's....

.......what have YOUR tests on YOUR motor shown? You don't have to tell us what it runs per se, just the gains(mph)/differences.

I didn't post to this thread to bash Jr., but more to show MY results to others in an effort to help those who are running similar setups make an informed decision.

I'm done with this thread. Do as you see fit. Good luck to all in their future modding endeavers-

so are u saying th vic jnr is good on a turbo or n20 vechile with a cut off of 7500rp witht he right cam to go their-maybe a soild roller-

say 427-449 cube? does the vic need porting for the above needs?

Very informative-
Old 08-20-2007, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLowETz

By lean on one bank of cylinders and rich on the other bank of cylinders you ar talking about with the elbow.. We all know the elbow sucks.. So is there any difference in runner length (aka is this problem soved) by putting a carb style tb on top of the vic Jr?

At this point I know for dead sure that the fast is hands sown better than the vic Jr with an elbow but now I am trying to figure out if the fast is better than the vic JR because of the elbow (screwing up the flow distribution of the vic) or because the fast is really an inherently better design than the vic jr/ 4bbl tb setup..
Old 08-20-2007, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

I dont need to post what my car run's.... Its my business....

It may be your business but your words hold no water without numbers to back them up.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:41 PM
9 Second Club

Im not here to argue. Ill post the results when we get this done. Mamo Ill call you tomorrow I was at work today
Old 08-21-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Resident

Default boys would this suit my turbo setup-

doing a turbo setup soon-bought these 2 items last week

do u guys reckon it would suit my need's

i have 2 gt 35/40 garetts- front comp .70 and 1.06 ex housing on both of the pair.

going onto a low comp ls1 engine i have-with good internals-

i also have the fast 90/ 90 holley tb

which one would be better-

any ideas or info would be good-
Attached Thumbnails Victor Jr EFI vs. Fast 90-ls1-vic-jnr-inlet-.jpg   Victor Jr EFI vs. Fast 90-90-degree-4150-flange-ls1-vic-jnr.jpg  

Last edited by njc.corp; 08-21-2007 at 12:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Victor Jr EFI vs. Fast 90