Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touble removing Alternator & power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Touble removing Alternator & power steering pump

Hey guys, wondering if anyone can help. Long story short. Just a little over a year ago the pwr steering on the TA went and was under waranty, they fixed it, or so I thought. Last week the alt went, put it up on the ramps and fluid from the pwr steering was dripping out of the alt., the powersteering went.

So Im trying to pull the alt right now but it looks like it is going to be easier to get the pwr steering resivoir/pulley off. I drained the rest of the fluid that was left, which wasnt much. I have all the bolts off the alt but for some reason cant get it off, disconnected the ground and unpluged it. Any suggestions/diagrams? Anything would help, where should I go next or what should I look for. Thanks in advance. I got the comp sitting in the driver seat so im right here.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone.....still playing around.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Launching!

If I remember right there is a single bolt on the back side of the alternator mount, near the oil pan. Did you pull that one?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 68chevypu
If I remember right there is a single bolt on the back side of the alternator mount, near the oil pan. Did you pull that one?
Yep. You have that one small bolt in the back that GM chose to put in one of the most difficult areas to get to. Get to it from the top and I bent my exhaust heat shield out of the way to get it out.

I also found it easier to remove the entire bracket that the alternator is mounted to and then the alternator after its all unbolted. Went back together easier that way too. I went through 3 replacment alternators from Advanced Auto until we got one that worked.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 68chevypu
Got that bolt out, I actually didnt have too much trouble with that one. Ok now here is the situation, I cant unplug it. Its a bear, I got the ground off but I cant get the main plug unpluged. Im thinking that there is a snap on the top i need to get off. And I have to somehow get this damn pwr steering pump off too. I need like a puller for the pulley on the resivoir.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trent
I also found it easier to remove the entire bracket that the alternator is mounted to and then the alternator after its all unbolted. Went back together easier that way too. I went through 3 replacment alternators from Advanced Auto until we got one that worked.
Yup this is exactly what Im doing, Im not screwing with it. Im having it rebuilt up the street at a speed shop. 3 from advanced seems a little scarry.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just changed mine out like 2 weeks ago. Theres three bolts two in the front and one in the back and one wire plug. Its going to feel like theirs another bolt or something holding it in but it just needs a little force to get it out. My power steering pump was leaking on my alternator so that made it go out. If I can do it anybody can.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00badfnta
I just changed mine out like 2 weeks ago. Theres three bolts two in the front and one in the back and one wire plug. Its going to feel like theirs another bolt or something holding it in but it just needs a little force to get it out. My power steering pump was leaking on my alternator so that made it go out. If I can do it anybody can.
So the same thing happened to you too. GM should never have put that under something that has fluid in it. DAMN IT. Ok, Did you use a screw driver to get it unpluged?? and did you remove the alt first or the powersteering first??
Old 09-13-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I got it off. In order to get everything off I had to drain all the coolant so I could get the pipe that was in front of the power steering apart because with that on there I couldnt get the puller for the pulley in right to take off the pwr steering pulley. So its all off, the alt is being rebuilt, but the thing is I cant tell what part of the pwr steering assembly was leaking, the pump, the o ring, or the resivoir. Everything that GM put on a year ago was new. So Ill have to wait and see what happens. I did so much just for a freakin power steering pump.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:47 AM
Teching In

I just went through the exact same thing. leaking pump=f*cked alternator. i also replaced the terminal and the short piece of wire that connects it up a foot or so from the alternator. i believe it is called an exciter wire and those have a habit of going out too.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLK00M6
I just went through the exact same thing. leaking pump=f*cked alternator. i also replaced the terminal and the short piece of wire that connects it up a foot or so from the alternator. i believe it is called an exciter wire and those have a habit of going out too.
hmmm, ill have to check that out tomorrow when i put it all back together. thanks for the extra advise!!