Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless Works Exhaust Systems

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Stainless Works Exhaust Systems

I'm posting this for people to see what Stainless Works is offering. It's from a thread titled 'Anyone with a Stainless Works catback?' FYI, I have their LT headers, y-pipe, and cat-back ( 3-1/2" ) system.

-----------

Hi Guys

Sorry for the delay in responding-Viper has been bugging me and we sometimes get so buys I can't spend as much forum time as we ant to.

We have a few different new products for the f bodies.

First, for guys with manifolds, we offer high flow LS1 and Lt1 y pipes with and without cats. We offer the lt1 pieces in aluminized, which start at $229, or stainless, and stainless only for the ls1's. We also offer a y pipe for use with hooker long tube headers to make installation much easier. These are available through us or Summit racing.

Second, we just started making long tube headers for 98-02 ls1's. We installed the second set of these on vipers car. They are as equal length as we can make them and they fit really well. The only trick to installing them is the motor needs to be slightly jacked up on the passengers side and they slip right in. On a stock 2002 car with no pcm tuning, we picked up over 30 RWHP. These are tig welded, 304 stainless, and start at $699 for bare headers with no air tubes,a nd no y pipe. Add air tubes with no y pipe and they are $799, Air tubes and y pipe they are $899. The y pipe is 2 1/2" and offers great floor and ground clearance, and I think they will fit with the double diamond style frame connectrs. We will have pictures of them on oru website by early next week.

Third, we offer a 3" chambered exhaust, and also 3" and 3 1/2" turbo muffler exhaust for the 4th gen cars. The chambered section is the one in the picture and the 3 1/2" system will also be on our website shortly. The chambered system does NOT resonate like the oher chambered systems on the market, and it sounds great. pricing for this starts at 799 which includes angle cut tips. "Big O" Tips or y tips add $150 due to the added expense of making the tips.

The 3" turbo muffler system is $649, and a 3 1/2" system is $799, with the same tip options as above. As Viper stated, the turbo muffler system sounds awesome-at creuise it is very reasonable but under full throttle it sounds very throaty and has a lot of tone-not obnoxious but very "racy"-I can't think of a good word to describe it.

We also do installs at our shop-we are located on the east side of Cleveland.

If you have any questions, please shoot us an email at mestainlessworks@aol.com -Matt, our techincal sales guy will help you any way he can, or you can call us at 800-878-3635. For a little background on us, we have been in bsuiness for 8 years and have always done private label restoration stuff for year one, the paddock, etc. We have built products for LG Motorsports, Wheel to Wheel, Lingenfelter, Mallett, etc, and have recently gotten into the late model products (We make a really nice c5 header and exhaust system also) I will try to keep an eye on the board and answer questions, but it sometimes is difficult to keep up with.

Thanks!
Al Noe
General Manager
Stainless Works
Old 06-03-2003, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Stainless Works Exhaust Systems

For a N/A 425 HP car with true dual...what would be the appropriate size pipe...2 1/2...3"? Do you make an true dual over the axel for 98-02 f-bodies?
Old 06-04-2003, 07:09 AM
12 Second Club

I have about the same RWHP, went 2-1/2" Y-pipe, to a 3-1/2" I-pipe. I had 3" out the back, this is MUCH better.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I emailed them about a true dual over the axle set-up and was quoted $1200-$1500
Old 06-04-2003, 11:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Funny, Matt told me today (Matt at Stainless Works) that , and I quote "It's not possible" to have an over the axel 3" true dual. I will say no more. These guys make some of the best exhaust products on earth... but that statement doesn't jive with some of what I've heard.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think when most people do a true duel over the axle in the stock location they use duel 2.25-2.5" pipe running next to eachother over the axle. When you get into actually running pipe over the axle on the drivers side you run into problems.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:59 AM
12 Second Club

The panhard bar comes into play heavy when trying to run duals. I've seen one setup with both pipes over the passenger side, and due to space limitations it was 2 2-1/2" pipes.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Doesn't a single 3 inch pipe flow as much as dual 2 1/2 inch pipes? Unles you are running a super stroker 400+ inch LS1 why would you need dual 3 inch pipes?
Old 06-05-2003, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

"Unless you are running a super stroker 400+ inch LS1 why would you need dual 3 inch pipes?"

Yes, ask Stainless Works. They have the programs to PROVE this ( flow ) and can explain at what level you need a bigger pipe.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Technically two 2.25" pipes have a larger crossectional area than one 3" pipe, but gasses flow on the outer inside diameter of pipe. Two 2.5" pipes will flow much more than one 3" pipe.

Crossectional area of:
(1) 3.00" pipe = 7.068 sq inches
(2) 2.25" pipes = 7.952 sq inches
(2) 2.50" pipes = 9.817 sq inches
Old 06-05-2003, 10:38 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that you pointed out that 3" true duals arent necessary, what would be the biggest diameter that I could run over the axle? I dont want any clearance issues, banging, or problems running it over the axles. Thanks
Old 06-05-2003, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Actually, gasses flow more on the inner core of the pipe and not the outer as stated above. At least thats what several articles I have say. Could be wrong. Also, good thinking...pipe diameter can show actual numbers, but when flow is involved it starts to get crazy scientific on us. Lets not go there because there a far far to many variables. Just go big, but not too big.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I worded that badly since there's a boundry layer on the actual inside surface of the pipe and all that jazz. Like he stated, you don't have to use dual 3" sewer pipe, but don't use 2" pipe either
Old 06-06-2003, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, two 2.5" pipes flow more than a single 3"...
But, your stock 2.75" and aftermarket 3" systems are mandrel bent. If you get a custom dual set made, you are unlikely to get mandrel bent pipes. This means even using 2.5" pipes, you will only get the flow of 2" mandrel pipes from them. True mandrel bending machines are very expensive, probably costing more for the machine than the entire muffler shop that will make your custom duals. Mostly just car manufacturers and aftermarket exhaust manufacturers have this capability.
So, until you can buy a mass produced dual set-up for our cars, you are most likely best off using a 3,3.5, or 4 inch single exhaust with mandrel bends.
Just a bit of info most folks overlook.
Dave
Old 06-08-2003, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

You just forgot the short cut. You can purchase all kinds of madrel pipe. You can pick of "u" shaped, elbos and a wide variation of angles off the shelf. Even Dr. Gas offers and over the axel universal mandrel bent kit. None of this will fit the current f-body, but with some cutting and welding of the off the shelf peices this is not that hard. Yes, it will cost a few hundred bucks in pipe, (and mistakes are expensive) but whats a few hundred bucks compared to whats currently available. I expect an over the axel kit that I will try to have completed will run $300 in pipe ( oval from X to axel if clearance looks bad...will add to cost), 2 1/2 mandrel over the axel to two spintech sbs's, and tips out the back. Cut-outs.. for side exit, between the 3" and 2 1/2" costs not included)The cost for material $300 pipe, $200 "X", $220 mufflers, $200 welding.. is about $920. And its fun to do!

Quick Reply: Stainless Works Exhaust Systems