Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relocating coil packs/extending harness, specific routing for harnesses?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 07:03 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Relocating coil packs/extending harness, specific routing for harnesses?

I no longer have my stock coil pack brackets that bolted to the valve covers because I had planned on relocating the coil packs. I want to mount them under the cowl, which would mean that I would need to extend the harness/plugs.

My question, does each individual plug go in a certain spot? In other words, there are 2 harnesses on each side of the motor. Each harness supplies power for 4 coil packs each. Now that that the harnesses are unplugged, I don't know if I have it the same way I took it off or upside down.

I'm sure each coil pack has a certain sequence/order that they fire, so I'm sure that they need to be routed a specific way. How do I determine this?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would like to know this aswell, just ordered the thunder racing coil pack relocation kit from ls1speed and dont have a clue where to put them
Old 10-09-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't haft to extend the harness but you will haft to shorten the coil pack harness because when you stack the coils you will have a lot of extra wires ,After i stacked my coils i took the coil harness and cut it down so there wouldn't be a big bundle of wire

Old 10-10-2007, 06:16 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that the harnesses are interchangeable from one side of the motor to the other, but which direction does it lay down? IE:

Let's say I was working on the passenger side. I layed out the harness, but instead of the 2 being on 2, 8 is on 2. Its flipped around. So how can I determine which way it goes.

By the way, I don't have any of those small sticker that tells which cylinder it will work for, so I need to know by wire color.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, they are fired sequentially. These are the unique wires to each coil, the rest are common, power, ground, low reference.

1=purple
3=light blue
5=dark green
7=red

2=red/white
4=dark green/white
6=light blue/white
8=purple/white
Old 10-10-2007, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nicely said, 69LT1Bird.