Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Lid Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Lid Fitment

For those who have installed it. Did the front top lip of the lid slide inside of the front bottom of the lid (in between the metal clips)? that was only way I could get a decent fit.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Just make sure you have all of the rear tabs in the slots and it should fit fine.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine's a different brand but that's how I installed it - otherwise the clips kept popping loose. Not sure if the new lids are the same, installed mine when the car was new.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by planemech2
Just make sure you have all of the rear tabs in the slots and it should fit fine.
Sure if you want to have it ghetto rigged.

I mounted the front tabs inside the little holes in the box. That's about the worst description I have ever made. Maybe a picture would help
Old 10-18-2007, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Yes, the SLP lid does seem to have a slight underbite when correctly installed. You will either need a smooth bellows or fernco mod to hold the lid tightly sealed on the rear tabs. If you use the stock "accordian" bellows the tabs in the back will frequently come out of correct, sealed position with aggressive shifting. Just close the lid normally, then gently apply pressure from the top to glide the tabs on the back of the lid into the spaces they are supposed to fit into on the rear. Keep the lid closed and slide it back just a little further and you will see it develope the slight underbite appearance, then lock with the front metal tabs. Your lid will seal and fit very tight after that.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Comin' Thunder wrote: Yes, the SLP lid does seem to have a slight underbite when correctly installed. You will either need a smooth bellows or fernco mod to hold the lid tightly sealed on the rear tabs. If you use the stock "accordian" bellows the tabs in the back will frequently come out of correct, sealed position with aggressive shifting. Just close the lid normally, then gently apply pressure from the top to glide the tabs on the back of the lid into the spaces they are supposed to fit into on the rear. Keep the lid closed and slide it back just a little further and you will see it develope the slight underbite appearance, then lock with the front metal tabs. Your lid will seal and fit very tight after that.
You know you've bought a poorly designed lid when you are using smooth bellows to help enhance sealing. Not sure how the stock accordian bellows would be causing the tabs to come out... I would think the aftermarket smooth bellows would do this more so than the stock bellows.

The lid and rear tabs should be stiff enough to provide an adequate seal against the air filter.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tee-boy
For those who have installed it. Did the front top lip of the lid slide inside of the front bottom of the lid (in between the metal clips)? that was only way I could get a decent fit.
Yes to your question. The lid pushes back so that the leading edge of the lid is behind the leading edge of the air box.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

I've never had a real problem with fitment on my lid (SLP.) It sounds like it slips in like yours. I have noticed that the bottom of the throat (where the bellows connects) contacts the upper radiator mount (lower airbox.) It seems that if this clearnace was much different it might force the back of air lid up off the filter so watch out for this. It may be worth just going with a Delco or Fram filter; they have thicker foam frames and they seem to seal the lids a lot tighter..
Old 10-19-2007, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine fit perfectly.