Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block repair question: stripped starter bolt holes

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block repair question: stripped starter bolt holes

Hello,

Well, due to my starter supplier giving me 3/8" SAE bolts instead of 10x1.5mm, I'm the proud owner of a block with stripped starter holes. I know I need to do some thread repair, but my question is that the starter system has a counterbore of about 5-7mm before the threads start. This bore interacts with a knurled section of the bolt to help properly locate the starter. If I helicoil the hole, I'm going to wind up enlarging that bore (with the drill and tap for the helicoil). Does anyone think that this will allow the starter to get far enough out of place to cause problems?

Thanks,

-ch
Old 11-04-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont think you will have a problem. the real trick is going to be drilling it straight and getting everything lined up. i think with aluminum it is going to be a little more difficult. boild down to time and money.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:09 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chromeplated500
i dont think you will have a problem. the real trick is going to be drilling it straight and getting everything lined up. i think with aluminum it is going to be a little more difficult. boild down to time and money.
+1. A helicoil is the ideal thing to use in a situation like this. I'd say just clear out plenty of room in the engine bay and work slowly.

Quick Reply: Block repair question: stripped starter bolt holes