Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New true duals

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 09:52 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New true duals

Sorry to disappoint everyone. In my list of weight reductions I was left with removing the Corsa exhaust and replacing it with true duals with a pair of Borla XR1's. I opted to not do an X-pipe due to space and the fact that I will be bringing extra HP with me very soon so it doesn't really matter. For those that are curious, the new found lope belongs to my new ARE 382 Solid Roller instead of the 224 that I had in the prior videos.

Videos, right click and "save as". I'll convert them to WMV next weekend to make them a bit smaller in size.

Here's the vid at idle
Here's the vid at rev

Here's a pic:
Old 06-16-2003, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New true duals

got any side shots that show what kinda ground clearance you got? Is that 3" ?
Old 06-16-2003, 11:38 PM
The Bull

No side shots yet. It's a full 3" back with the 3" oval XR1's. They are probably about 3-1/2" tall and they are about 1" lower than my subframe connectors and pretty even with the Spohn Torque Arm mount up front. I went out for some cruising on the harsh roads here and I didn't have any problems with steep parking lot entrances or anything like that.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ewww, crush bent turndowns and no crossover
Old 06-20-2003, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

looks nice, but you do need a H or X pipe in there. sounds good!!!!
Old 06-20-2003, 11:52 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey that sound GOOOOD!!! What kind of dyno number are you seeing with that. And as far as the X or H pipe is concerned I'd see what you dyno at first because it looks like they did a pretty nice job on your exhaust I would hate to cut it up for 1-2 HP. Any way just my .02.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

Check this out.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=329105
Old 06-21-2003, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just curious what you are going to do about the openings in your rear fascia? I'm in the same boat now that I don't have exhaust coming out the back.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:19 PM
The Bull

I don't need an X or H pipe simply because I'll be supplying my own HP in a bottle here soon. I also am in the process of fabricating a new cross member for my Spohn torque arm mount. That's the primary reason why I don't run an X-pipe. Once I get that done I'll go back and take a look at an X pipe. So far the car has shown no appreciable loss over the Corsa exhaust that was on there.

As far as the turn downs, since it all flows out the *** end I really don't give a crap if they are crush bent or not. I guess you'd pay $250 for the Dr Gas X pipe and $50 for some nice mandrel bent turn downs. I've got other things to spend that money on at the moment, so I opted for the cheap and just as effective method.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man, those look nice, but I have alway been a fan of having some kind of tip in the back. What kind of power increase do you see with a setup like that?
Old 06-22-2003, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Those look sweet as hell! They tuck up way closer than mine! Who did the exhaust? Where are they located? How much did it cost? The reason I'm asking is that my BMR torque arm is bent from the break at Thunder and I'm probably going to get a Spohn. The exhaust I have now will not work with the Spohn, so I will need to get some new duals run. Are those muflers a straight-through design? I might also so want exhaust run over the axle because the dumped exhaust is starting to annoy me. Just to loud! But maybe using some "real" mufflers instead of the Bullets will quiet it down some.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2003, 02:40 PM
The Bull

Kevin,

A buddy of mine owns an exhuast shop up in Big Rapids. The majority of the cost was the Borla's, at $150 each. Then I just paid for the material and a little labor. I have to support his racing habit, all 7 seconds of it. The Borla's on mine are the 12" long 3" diameter style.

It rumbles pretty hard with the new setup, but just as comparable as the Corsa. I don't think it's any quieter or louder in that respect. So far the turn downs kick up a little extra dust, but that doesn't bother me. We made the turn downs with the pipe bender just because we wanted to figure out if that's the way we were going to keep them. If I change my mind I can simply unbolt the clamp and slide that one out and replace it with a different style. The rear hanger is actually welded to the clamp so I can easily move things around.

I'm actually going to fabricate a new torque arm bracket in place of the Spohn bracket to get it out of the way. If we buy enough material I can possibly fabricate one for you as well. I'm just thinking some chromoly tubing that curves into the tunnel should give you clearance enough for the x-pipe. I'm going to reuse some of the parts off from my Spohn mount to do it.

As far as the holes in the back go, I figure it just gives you a better view of what just kicked your ***. So that doesn't bother me at all. Ground clearance wise, it's not rubbed on the great roads we have in Michigan. And at the strip with the rake of the 28 rear / 26 fronts they actually raise up a little more. No issues there. Now, if we have to park at the lot we had for Woodward last year, I'll be going elsewhere because four wheeling will not be possible.