Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my Fast 90 intake, come on guys give me tips that I need to know!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arrow Just got my Fast 90 intake, come on guys give me tips that I need to know!

Well just picked up my Fast intake and I need to know what are the common things that I should be know before I install and break it. These are some things that I know that I need to address but, if you guys could send me some pics or links, or write ups to help out I would appreciate it. Thanks guys\\\

These are a couple of things that I know need to be done but, dont have a clue on how to do them, once again a link or pictures, or a write up would be helpfull.

1. I need to secure the map sensor on the back of the intake right? But how?
2. What are the torque specs of the intake when you take it apart and put it back together??? (im porting it)
3. There is something about buying shorter profile bolts for the lifter valley plate (plate thats under the intake that housed the knock sensors)??? Something about the intake no being able to sit on the stock bolts of the lifter valley plate and breaking the bottom piece of the intake?????
4. Where can I buy the intake gaskets for the intake runners and throttle body??? Can I order at Auto Zone, or what vehicle comes with the same gaskets???

Anything you can throw out there would help out. Thanks again guys.
\

Roger
Old 11-09-2007, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Some people use RTV on it but mine fit with no problems

2. I don't know the torque specs but check the instructions or contact FAST

3. The intake should come with the bolts for the valley cover if not then you can get them from FAST as well. Some of the sponsors may carry them also

4. Yes Autozone and Advanced carry the intake gaskets. I reused my stock ones but have read that the FelPro gaskets are prretty good. I'm not 100% positive but I think the TB gasket for the LS2s (90mm) fit, hopefully someone will chime in on this. Again it should come with the throttle body gasket but if it doesn't then it can be had from FAST and some of the sponsors

Be careful of the oil pressure sending unit or you'll break it off when you slide the intake in place. Follow the torque sequence when you tighten it. I found it easier to put the intake on then the fuel rail.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DONT BREAK THE OIL SENDING UNIT SENSOR on the drivers side of the intake!

1.I used a nice wad of RVT sensor safe gasket maker and put it around the base of the nipple.

2.The instructions are on the instructions and also on their web site.

3.If you do not change the valley cover bolts you will break the FAST, the kit comes with the new shorter (lower profile bolt heads) there are 10 of those, and are hex key type.

4.You can buy the runner gaskets from any sponsor on the site that sells Ls6 or Fast intakes,
The throttle body gasket comes with the intake and is in a bag that looks like 2 o-rings but its only 1.
I used this link for some good tips
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5
Hope that helps
Old 11-09-2007, 10:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got mine done tonight. I used tape to hold up the rear 5 bolts of the intake when you pull the old one out. Pull the bolts up about 1-2"s and tape them there. And same when you put the new intake in. The valley bolts come with the intake make sure you change them. The instructions that come with the intake are great tell you tq specs and what order to tighten them. Remember that it is in inch pounds and 89 inchpounds is not very much. It is alot less than you would think. MY stock bellows fit around the 90mm tb i just took the hose clamp right off and slid it on. The little bit that did not go over I used a flat screw driver and lifted it around. I never had the tool to remove the fuel line but I just laid the injectors off to the side. It took a minute at start up for then engine to learn the new air volume but runs great now. Good luck with the install and like I said b4 the instrustions that come with it are great.

Sorry I just seen that you have a vette so the taping of the bolts will not be needed.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

89 inch/lbs is ~7-8ft/lbs, hand tight is sufficient.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default ddd

JUst did mine Wednesday. Before sliding off old intake, reach in back of intake and feel for the oil sending unit. It mounts to the block and is about 2.5-3 inches tall and cylindrical. It is about the dimension of a 3inch mag 12 guage shotgun shell. Be careful the brake boost hose doesn't rip it in half (it's plastic).

Buy new gaskets from Autozone.

Everyone recommends using the Stainless Hardware kit from Thunder Racing (I paid something like 50 bucks for it) in place of the hardware FAST sends you.

The FAST instructions are kind of crappy, they tell you to torque certain bolts in Newton Meters, some in Inch Pounds, and some bolts they give you no torque measurements at all. Pretty sad for as much as you have to pay for the thing.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice read!

Quick Reply: Just got my Fast 90 intake, come on guys give me tips that I need to know!