Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Qtp=pita!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bottom of the bucket Pacesetters went in like a dream
Old 11-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

My first plug wire on the passenger side rubs the primary and something on the same side has got to be touching the frame because it'll vibrate the **** out of the whole car at certain rpms. If I did it again I would probably shell out the extra money for Kooks.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Prerun4fun13
My bottom of the bucket Pacesetters went in like a dream
I agree... I almost wish I would have spent more money so I could make posts like this and have a PITA install to talk about. Instead all I get is 12.7 in the 1/4 mile
Old 11-16-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah ls1 hoss check your k-member where the passengers header is, its most likely rubbing some. might need to grind up k-member some in that area.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Yahelou
I got my qtps in last week and jetlagged (matt) helped me install. i dont think i could have installed them without him. just like the title says, they were a pain in the *** to install. the passenger side went in easily, but the drivers side was horrible. we grinded the **** out of everything. a lot of the k member, and a little bit around the oil filter and plug. we had to take out the oil filter and the oil plug. we didnt take out the steering shaft. the key to install it is getting the car up very high. the headers pretty much have to be vertical when goin in. we started at around 2 and didnt finish until 12. but it sounded great when we turned it on the car. open headers. next time, i either goin with pacesetters or if i have enough money, ARH.
My QTP's went in REAL easy for me. I just had to put the drivers side header in Vertical like everyone says.That is the key and will make it real easy.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jetlag
I agree... I almost wish I would have spent more money so I could make posts like this and have a PITA install to talk about. Instead all I get is 12.7 in the 1/4 mile
ur car is just a freak, thats all.

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
My QTP's went in REAL easy for me. I just had to put the drivers side header in Vertical like everyone says.That is the key and will make it real easy.
i think that is the key to installing these headers. getting the car high enough, but even still the k member has to be grinded a bit.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:12 AM
Launching!

I guess a tubular K-member is the trick to easy header installs. Installed on 6 ton HF stands up 5 or 6 notches (about the max height of your standard 3 ton floor jack)... It literally took me longer to reach up and thread the 1st bolt while holding the header, than it did to slip either header in... Call it 15 seconds per header to slip them up. No steering shaft rubbing (though it's close), MSD wires have PLENTY of room and the plugs are all just as easy to get to as any other LS1 F-body 1.75 header. GREAT looking headers and put together very well. Glad I bought them & I hope not everyone is deterred by the horror stories ... Though I can relate... 10 or so years ago, AZ Speed & Marine headers on an LT1 took me an entire weekend .
Old 11-17-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MdFormula350
here are the current pics

Get some MSD wires!
Old 11-17-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Get some MSD wires!
lol, might have too since I think that duralast wire has about 2 times more ohms than the factory wires. plus now I have heat shields on the others and it looks odd ball.

should of been able to use the factor wire IMO.

lol also I am use to working on a thirdgen I should know better about things fitting like my slp headers nothing like denting the primary tube or grinding down the steering shaft to keep it from rubbing. I installed poly mounts 3 years after those header have been on and its got decent room now.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Thats funny to hear, because i had problems installing the drivers side Hooker header in my friends WS6. Yet when i installed SLP LTs in my car, they both seemed to have gone in faster. And i did the SLP longtubes on my car before his, so i knew what to do. But when it came down to doing it, it was a huge pain in the ***. It came down to the point where we had to loosen the motor mount and lift the motor a bit so we could get it up there.
-Joel
Old 11-18-2007, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've installed four sets of Pacesetters and they have all gone in perfect. I always grind the tab on the driver side block to keep the header from scraping the coating off, but they fit fine without doing that. QTP's might make ~10 more hp, but it's an expensive ~10 hp. Better to spend that extra ~$450 elsewhere and get better gains.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

damn... the headers curve hard straight off the flanges. I'm guessing they did that to keep them equal length but that is bad.. even bendable boot will be a tight fit. I Picked up some Used Kooks 1 7/8" headers and had problems getting mine in only because I was on jack stands and could not quite get them vertical to install them but even with the larger diameter primaries I run stock wires with no problems.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I just spent 2 hours drilling, filing, prying and cutting the k member. One tube was laying on it heavy, I think that I can fit 2 pieces of notebook paper between them now. If it's not good enough I'll try again next week.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Yahelou
but even still the k member has to be grinded a bit.
That's strange, I didn't have to grind anything, I had plenty of room. I guess different years are built differently or maybe QTP is not consistent enough in the manufacturing process? Mine fit great though.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
That's strange, I didn't have to grind anything, I had plenty of room. I guess different years are built differently or maybe QTP is not consistent enough in the manufacturing process? Mine fit great though.
i think qtp is not consistent, cuz u have some ppl that didnt grind the k member and some ppl that did have to. and then there are some ppl where the spark plug wires are resting on the collectors and others that are not. i even saw one guy where his steering shaft was rubbing up against the headers. every set of headers are different.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Not all headers are different. The steps taken by companies that realize that they have already ridden the "wave" are different. Plain and simple..... I think that certian companies realize that there are so many cars out there and there isnt going to be any more. They made thier sales quota, and moved on.... If you still want them your going to deal with issues from setting up jigs and taking them down. The tolerances in that jig will change. Shortcuts will be taken to make more money. The beans will be counted.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just installed mine and they went in like a dream no grinding i didn't have to take the oil filter out dosn't hit the k member. i was suprized because i thought it was going to be a bitch
Old 11-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by twizted_creations
Not all headers are different. The steps taken by companies that realize that they have already ridden the "wave" are different. I think that certian companies realize that there are so many cars out there and there isnt going to be any more. They made thier sales quota, and moved on.... If you still want them your going to deal with issues from setting up jigs and taking them down. The tolerances in that jig will change. Shortcuts will be taken to make more money. The beans will be counted.
Interesting perspective ... you may have a point. But then there's Pacesetters ... they keep crankin' 'em out and they continue to fit right ... first time, every time.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

You guys ever think that there maybe a problem with the car. As cars get older motor mounts go bad, was the car in an accident. What i see here is one person here with an issue and one person there with another. You guys make it seem that its an issue with every header they make. I bet you that people that install em and have no issues dont waste there time posting on the internet. Remember guys you hear 1% of the problems but the other 99% that are not problems are not hear. Just giving a different point of view.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My QTP's went in nice. Granted the first time I put them in it took all day but i didn't grind or unbolt anything. After taking them off several times for other projects i've got it down to a science now. i can have them out and in in under 2 hours easy. the driver side is all about rotating them in. Put them up vertical and rotate just right and they go right in. The hardest part of the job is trying to bolt them up by yourself.