Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amount of power loss switching from X to H?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Amount of power loss switching from X to H?

As of right now I have 2.5" over the axle custom duals with X-pipe, and flowmaster single chamber 10-series mufflers. I liked the sound of it a lot before. It was very deep and powerful sounding since it stayed below 2k rpm most of the time. I didn't like it so much between like 2-3k rpm though, which is where it got much higher pitched and actually had a hint of rasp (and I hate rasp). Above that it sounded awesome again. I was fine with it before. I liked it a lot actually, because i was either driving it around normally (where it stayed below 2k), or hammering it (where it went above 3k), so everything was fine. Well, I just put my SS3600 converter in, and now I don't like it so much... Idle sounds the same as before, and WOT still sounds awesome, but now its in the 2000-2500 range constantly when I'm driving around normally. Because of that it has actually gotten quieter (yes quieter), much higher pitched, and has a little hint of rasp almost all of the time now. I really don't like that. From what I've heard it sounds like I may like an H pipe more than an X, and I'll bet the guy who made my exhaust wouldn't charge a whole lot to cut out the X and stick in an H. I have one question though. How much of a power difference is there REALLY between an X and an H in there (or track time difference)? If its like 15 hp or something I probably won't do it and I'll just have to deal with it. If it's only like 5 though I will probably ask him to do it for me. I'll be doing other things in the future to get that power back...

Thanks guys
Old 11-18-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

You shouldnt loose much at all. I would say 5 hp tops.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever you lose up top, you'll pick up down low. H-pipes are stronger down low and in the midrange where you spend most of your time. What you may want to look into is the Flowmaster D-port merge. It's a compromise between the X-pipe and H-pipe, scavenging better than an H-pipe but still retaining a lot of the sound.

Look up jmm98LS1. He uses this piece and he has the best sounding setup on LS1tech IMO.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact same problem as you did.. I ran some pipes under the axle into a cme set-up using an x-pipe.. Before with dumps it was pretty loud & you could still hear a faint rasp.. When I changed to the cme, the rasp was worse than a catback set-up, absolutely hated it.. Had an h in stalled & got rid of the cme & went back to dumps.. Couldn't be happier, the exhaust sounds alot more refined & cruising on the highway isn't near as bad as it was with the x.. I agree with Choco, the car feels alot better down low & in the midrange, could tell no diffrence up top at all.

Last edited by MM98; 11-20-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Whatever you lose up top, you'll pick up down low. H-pipes are stronger down low and in the midrange where you spend most of your time. What you may want to look into is the Flowmaster D-port merge. It's a compromise between the X-pipe and H-pipe, scavenging better than an H-pipe but still retaining a lot of the sound.

Look up jmm98LS1. He uses this piece and he has the best sounding setup on LS1tech IMO.
That does sound pretty good. It sounded similar to mine in the video where he has the stock stall in there, but the one with the stall is better. I might have to think about that. I'm just not sure if the guy would be able to fit that in the place of the current X that easily and I don't want him to have to spend a lot of time on it since I don't want to pay a a whole lot... lol

Does anybody have any clips of single chamber flowmasters on an H-pipe? Or maybe just know of somebody that does? I've checked on ls1sounds and they don't have any.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Tech Resident

Search jmm98LS1. The clips are in his sig.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

Go H, they sound better....

MAYBE you will lose 2 or 3 ponies.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Search jmm98LS1. The clips are in his sig.
Yeah I saw his. I agree it sounds good, it just that the exhaust is custom made already, and I was just going to have the X removed and something else put in, and I'm not sure that would just fit right in there. I would like to get that if I could, but I'm not sure. The only way to get it in there would probably be to move the pipes around in front of it and stuff, and that would probably cost more than i am wanting to spend on this little change. Thats why I was looking for some clips of someone with an actual H-pipe, not the d-port merge, so I could hear that too.

Thanks again for the help guys. Looks like I'm going to be calling my exhaust place when i get back in town to see if they can switch the X to an H. Especially if I could hear some sound clips of exactly what it will sound like . haha
Old 11-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Tech Resident

Ok. Here's some clips of Jonas' car (TORCHD 02 TA):

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...WalkAround.flv

If you want more clips, you can PM him because he has a bunch of them.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:08 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks . I couldn't find any on ls1sounds at all :/.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Tech Resident

No problem. Like I said, if you PM him or if you're diligent enough to search through his posts, he has tons of sound clips. It's really amazing how much better an H-pipe sounds than an X-pipe. An X-pipe totally kills the "Flowmaster sound." They sound good at idle, but as soon as you start turning any kind of rpm's, the X-pipe totally breaks up the depth of the sound.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah i know what you mean... Mine sounds pretty good down low. Like up to 2000 or something, but as soon as it hits about 2000 or 2100 it gets MUCH higher pitched and has a little rasp to it and I really don't like it. I emailed the guy who did my exhaust to ask about switching, and hopefully it won't cost me a whole lot. I would much prefer the better sound and low end rather than losing 5hp on the top. Sound is probably first in importance. That's why I went with a catback before and then switched to duals. And now I'm changing my duals.... lol