Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning can increase gas mileage???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning can increase gas mileage???

*First off, if this isn't the right forum/thread I should be placing this in admins feel free to move it. I put this in the most broad section I could think of.*

So, to my question. I had another thread about what kind of gas mileage an A4 should be getting and it looks like I'm right on line with the other folks.
My question to you guru's is if at some point I get all my bolt-ons done and decide to get the car a good tune is there a way that I can increase the gas mileage?
I know on my other cars it was possible but I haven't ever tuned an LS1 and wasn't sure how big of gains one could achieve.
I average about 16.5mpg and would like to see it above 20mpg at least...with the gas prices these days and all.
I'm assuming if you can tune a car at WOT you should be able to tune for your every day driving.
If anyone has any insight or input on this matter I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Ryan
Old 11-19-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

16.5mpg.. that is not very good or you have a very heavy right foot. Even with my 4.10 gears.. I get close to 20mpg around town and 23+ mpg on the highway.

With a good tuner, yes you should be able to increase both power and gas mileage. A good tuner will be able to remap your fuel tables for both the lower RPM for good gas mileage and at the upper end of the RPM and WOT for power.

What area are you at ?.. and maybe others will be able to suggest a good dyno tuner.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
16.5mpg.. that is not very good or you have a very heavy right foot. Even with my 4.10 gears.. I get close to 20mpg around town and 23+ mpg on the highway.

With a good tuner, yes you should be able to increase both power and gas mileage. A good tuner will be able to remap your fuel tables for both the lower RPM for good gas mileage and at the upper end of the RPM and WOT for power.

What area are you at ?.. and maybe others will be able to suggest a good dyno tuner.

I'm outside Kansas City and I do know of a good tuner in the area. I'll look into it...thanks! As for my heavy foot, I don't really have one. I do more city driving than anything but I've heard that 16.5 isn't actually that bad. On the highway I can do over 20 easy as these cars should.
Thanks again for the insight
Old 11-19-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

depending on your mods that sounds good to me
i need some tuning done im getin @ 14 city 23.5 hw
i have to small rear gear right now ( 3.23's ) so my city mpg suffer even w/ my light right foot. getting the 3.73 gears will actually help me in the city along w/ a good tune b/c i have a 3400 stall.
my mpg hw will drop a lil w/ the gears but i do more city driving anyways.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

get a "street tune"...or basically a part throttle tune. it will optimize the computer program for your mods at lower speeds/throttle positions.

there are guys running near stock mpg with cams...all because the have a good "street tune"
Old 11-19-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

A proper tune (some call it a street tune) will edit your VE tables and MAF table to ensure optimum performance and efficiency at part throttle. A lot of shops and tuners just tune idle and WOT and call it a day. You will gain a lot of driveability (manners and mileage) with a proper tune. I picked up on avg 4 mpg and on the hwy about 6 mpg. With no more issues on startup or throttle transitions.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

I lost 1.5 mpg on my tune from Texas Speed. I was told that I would gain that much, not loose it. But on the other hand, I got an extra .3 in the 1/8 mile. I kind of want my gas milage back though....
Old 11-19-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

I think I average about 15-17 in-town and on the highway. I have a 3800 stall with 3.23 gears so she's pretty loose. I don't think you'll get too much better around town even with a tune. I have a light right foot and with a tune can't get too much better. I hope you have luck and that I'm wrong because with gas how it is, it's not nice at the pump.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I set my AFR to be 14.7 from idle to 3000 RPM's and when I'm cruising @ 70mph my AFR is right on the money. I do not see the high mpg numbers other people manage and I do not believe you are likely to see improved mileage after a tune. I max out at 20-22 on the highway, 12 around town.