Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Shorty Headers?

I am tight on cash since having to redo my clutch, rotors, brake calipers, and suspension all at once. I have 210K miles and have managed to keep my baby in good condition. I would like to eliminate my EGR and Air pumps and go with Shorty Headers. My current exhaust is constantly bottoming out on steep inclines to store fronts, therefore I can't really use LT headers. Since I don't want to buy Cats for Mid-Tubes are Shorties the best way to go for $150 dollars to open up my 98' T/A's restricting exhaust and still get decent HP for the money?
Let me know, please.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SilverTxT/A
I would like to eliminate my EGR and Air pumps and go with Shorty Headers. My current exhaust is constantly bottoming out on steep inclines to store fronts, therefore I can't really use LT headers.
Shorties really don't gain much, if anything on LS1s. In fact, several people have posted power losses. The stock LS1 manifolds actually flow very well.

So far as improving clearance, there really are not viable options. As for opening the exhaust up, there are several options (long tubes, high flow cats, catbacks) but most will bottom out faster than your stock setup.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shorties are kinda a waste... I'd spend your money elsewhere...
Old 11-24-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car came with Mac mids-I don't scrape at all. Usually can find them used pretty cheap.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Long Tubes and call it a day or your stuck with stockies!
Old 11-25-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Only reason to go shorty is for emissions. You should expect a 5hp increase on 01-02 cars and 10hp increase on 98-00 cars. Wouldnt be a bad idea to invest in some high flow cats if you want to get the most out of your exhaust if you are going that route. It wont help that much but every little bit helps and it does clean up the engine bay nicely.