Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Tune Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dyno Tune Worth it?

Hello guys and gals. Mods are in my SIG, so my ride is pretty close to stock (I want to keep it that way, for this car.)

The previous owner did the complete exhaust, and deleted the cats. I am not throwing any codes, however. So somewhere along the line he got the codes that would have been thrown deleted.

I was wondering if a dyno tune is worth it? I do not plan to mod the engine anymore. (Just suspension mods in the future.) I have no idea if he already has or not (doubt it, just doesn't seem likely.)

It is just that it seems like it is running rich. She idles perfect actually, and runs fine... it isn't a sign of performance, but rather the smell of the exhaust. (Keep in mind it is also dumped before the rear axle, so the fumes kind of go to my face with windows down.) It smells like pure gas (from a cold start to a warmed up engine).

I was like "it must smell like that because I have no cats." But my friend just got his cats removed and it has no more of a smell than it did stock.

I was just wondering if I should get a dyno tune to make sure my A/F ratio is good and to get a few more horses out of it and the long tubes?

Is there anything else I can check to see if I am running richer? Does my case seem normal, or is it a good sign it is indeed running rich? The fumes are pretty darn strong.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
Hello guys and gals. Mods are in my SIG, so my ride is pretty close to stock (I want to keep it that way, for this car.)

The previous owner did the complete exhaust, and deleted the cats. I am not throwing any codes, however. So somewhere along the line he got the codes that would have been thrown deleted.

I was wondering if a dyno tune is worth it? I do not plan to mod the engine anymore. (Just suspension mods in the future.) I have no idea if he already has or not (doubt it, just doesn't seem likely.)

It is just that it seems like it is running rich. She idles perfect actually, and runs fine... it isn't a sign of performance, but rather the smell of the exhaust. (Keep in mind it is also dumped before the rear axle, so the fumes kind of go to my face with windows down.) It smells like pure gas (from a cold start to a warmed up engine).

I was like "it must smell like that because I have no cats." But my friend just got his cats removed and it has no more of a smell than it did stock.

I was just wondering if I should get a dyno tune to make sure my A/F ratio is good and to get a few more horses out of it and the long tubes?

Is there anything else I can check to see if I am running richer? Does my case seem normal, or is it a good sign it is indeed running rich? The fumes are pretty darn strong.
O how many people have said that . But a dyno tune is always worth it just to get the most out of your mods. If you pay good money for them why not get the most out of them? JMO
Old 11-29-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

my friend got a dyno-tune on his 02 SS and he picked up 12 RWHP just from the tune!!! yes they can look at the A/F ratio and adjust it accordlingly. i'm gettin my dyno tune next friday . . . i'd reccommend getting one. i'm goin to post up my dyno results the night when i get home so you can check them out and see wht i've gained.

BTW that color is ******* beautiful!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had you same mods a while back, and I was thinking about a tune... But I knew I was going to run H/C later so I just waited...If you don't plan on gears/cam soon, Then i would say go for the tune it will help!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with what was said that a dyno tune is always worth, unless you some big mods plan in the near future then i would wait. but other wise go for the tune.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Right on guys, and thanks for the compliments.

And no, really, I don't plan on modding the engine anymore.

I do plan on buying a car in the future (years down the road) and making it a drag car, and this is not the one I want to do it to haha.

I'm thinking once springs rolls around, I'll be doing it.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

and most places charge less when they re-tune
Old 11-30-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes, at least for me. i first had a mail order, in fairness i asked them to go conservative. i then had a local tuner try again and picked up an additional 13 rwhp and about 6 rwtq. the mail order got my air fuel to 13.8 to 1. i'm now still only at 13.1 to 1. i did notice a drop in gas milage. i get 20.5 now, was 21-22 for average driving. yes, tunes are great!
Old 11-30-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Definetly get a tune, with your mods especially the LTs you can see a good bit of gain from a tune. But don't forget the suspension is still modding the car . And once you got the car dialed in right, its just a matter of time untill the power you do have is not enough
-Joel
Old 11-30-2007, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

A month before I purchased my set of LT I had my car dyno tuned and gained 15rwph, just from the tune, and when headers were installed, the car was re-tuned and gained another 19rwph, put it this way, before I had the tune and the headers, my A4 couldnt spin the tires in 2nd gear and just from the dyno tune,it smoked 2nd gear till 70mph, it was a huge difference, that was the best $350 I have invested in my car, go for it!!!