Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loss of power after header install.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 02:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loss of power after header install.........

so i have the headers in i fixed a missfire it had.......runs fine no codes.......but i feel it slower......i heard a tune will fix that up.....is that true cuz im starting to think i fucked my car up........anybody have that problem? N running lean or rich would cause me to lose that much power? anybody please help.....very confused........ oh and one more thing anybody know what to do cuz i think my y pipe is banging around down there..... will a muffler shop be able to fix that? sorry so much questions pretty new at this.........
Old 12-12-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Junkie

confirm you have no leaks
clear the computer and allow the car to re-learn the a/f curve after the headers

sometimes the car will feel slower at lower speeds, but the headers should unleash good power up top. it may be all in your head.

if the ypipe is hitting, you could be getting false knock and the computer is pulling timing...which will REALLY hurt power.

what you needed to do was install poly motor mounts when the manifolds were off, before putting the headers on.

Thunder racing sells a mufflex piece that keeps your ypipe from banging. or you could have a shop clearance the pipe a little. heat up the spot and pound it in for some more clearance. it won't be enough to affect power, but 1/2" of denting can make all the difference on clearance with the frame.

something like this, on my old flowtech ypipe:
Old 12-12-2007, 08:11 AM

Get it tuned. When I first put mine on I went from 332 to 333. After some tuning it jumped to 354, but it was running too lean. They gave it more fuel and I ended up with 342.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Teching In

im heading to the muffler shop tomorrow to fix the banging........and maybe go dyno it........thanx for the advice!!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can look into doing motor mounts to help with the banging.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:22 PM
Teching In

its going to have to be the mounts cuz the muffler shop bend that **** and its still banging.......and i lost power.......i know i did.......it doesnt kick like it used to.........why??????? i thought headers were supposed to help......all it did was make me super loud.......which is cool.......but i lost power..........
Old 12-14-2007, 06:47 AM
TECH Junkie

if you lost power...something is wrong.

either you have a leak, or you're A/F was out of wack to begin with and the headers messed it up more.

do you have track times to prove you lost power? dyno numbers?

very possible the callibration on your SOTP meter are off too.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah... whens the last time your *** was checked for accuracy?

Might not be a loss in power, it is probably just a shift in the torque curve. Your peak TQ numbers might have moved into the higher RPM's, much as they do when you open a cut-out.

But really, you probably did something wrong.

FYI headers you will feel more at WOT than when just goin 1/2 throttle on it to speed up. All though I can honestly say after my header install I felt it all the time.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:54 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

it is common for an LS1 to loose power after header install. Your computer has no idea what the hell is going on with the AFR and will not adjust appropriatley. A tune will help tremendously!
Old 12-14-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not uncommon for people to think that a header install caused them to "loose" power. First, a tune will certainly help. Second, headers usually move the power band. You may have lost a little power down low, but you picked up a boat load of power in the mid and upper ranges.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:01 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nytmare1
It's not uncommon for people to think that a header install caused them to "loose" power. First, a tune will certainly help. Second, headers usually move the power band. You may have lost a little power down low, but you picked up a boat load of power in the mid and upper ranges.
You dont know that for sure. Only a dyno will tell.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Banned

Get the poly mounts installed! I have a banging issue with my long tube headers install too!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Launching!

I agree with teke184 when your y pipe is hitting your floor your knock sensors are reading predetination which retards the timing way back and kills your power.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Teching In

well dont know if it helps but with the misfire on the dyno i put down 260 hp with headers..... if it moved the power to the top and mid range then how come i stop moving like at 50 mph the push stops......i know i lost power cuz on the freeway a shitty 5.0 took off on me at about 60 and i couldnt make it up.......it used to be before id still have some kick left up top........ somethings wrong...... i heard backpressure might be an issue anyone? oh and anyone know about that smog pump thing its supposed to be hooked up right? anyone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Banned

ok 260???? what year is your car? a4 or M6?? and all other mods, there is something wrong, not only the headers
Old 12-14-2007, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

something aint wright with those numbers what was the a/f on the dyno maybe to rich
Old 12-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RIDINFILTHY
something aint wright with those numbers what was the a/f on the dyno maybe to rich
wow thats a nice run 11.9 what are your mods?? how small is the cam your running?? haha jus nosey
Old 12-14-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by griever
well dont know if it helps but with the misfire on the dyno i put down 260 hp with headers..... if it moved the power to the top and mid range then how come i stop moving like at 50 mph the push stops......i know i lost power cuz on the freeway a shitty 5.0 took off on me at about 60 and i couldnt make it up.......it used to be before id still have some kick left up top........ somethings wrong...... i heard backpressure might be an issue anyone? oh and anyone know about that smog pump thing its supposed to be hooked up right? anyone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back pressure is always a bad thing... the less back pressure, the more power. Its a common misconception that back pressure is good and necessary for torque.

Something is wrong with your car. Stop driving it, take it to a shop.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you didn't lose power down low, you gained power up in the mid to top range.

I dynoed my car after headers and true duals and found I went from 306HP to 344HP and from 325ft/lb to 352ft/lb.

After the tune I went up to 349HP and 359ft/lb.

The only reason the "down low" felt weaker is because it didn't change much if at all but the upper goes up. It's one of those perspective things. The torque curve jumps up quite a bit and will gain a true peak. Before my headers, I had a dead flat torque curve ~15ft/lb difference between 4k rpm and 2500rpm... After headers, I had a new torque spike of 359ft/lb from 4000-5000rpm. It became my sweet spot (below and above was in the 340ft/lb range, but you could FEEL that 4k spike...

If you have a 6 speed think of it this way, if you lost power down low, you'd have a hard time accelerating in 6th under 2krpm, or at least it'd be significant enough to make it lug around. In fact, I found that I could accelerate a bit better in 6th under 2krpm (if you can still overtake a car at highway speeds using cruise control in 6th then you can be sure you didn't lose any power).
Old 12-15-2007, 05:20 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am surprised no one has asked if you checked to see if you may have a fouled front O2 sensor....or the common thing to have plugged the rears into the front since they no longer exist there.

Quick Reply: loss of power after header install.........