Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Headers, what kind
Pacesetter
37.84%
Hooker
2.70%
QTP
27.03%
SLP
5.41%
Other........
27.03%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Headers to go with true duals and future mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers to go with true duals and future mods

I was about to order the pacesetter LTs and the tsp true dual setup and my wife actually said to me are you sure you want the pacesetters they have more expensive ones.

I couldn't believe it!!! So my question to you guys is do I save a few more weeks and get something better? If so then what?? or do I just do the pacesetters.

To give you guys an idea of the next mods in order.
torque convertor
rear
h/c (still have no idea what I want, always open for suggestions)
Fast 90/90

To give you an idea about what I use the car for.........FUN!!!! It is NOT a DD and never will be. It is my toy (and hers, thus for the auto).
Old 12-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure pacesetter is cheaper but they still have 1 7/8 flange i believe and tey have 16 guage steel. Unless you plan on going over 500 horses then stick wtih pacesetter. Even if you do plan on it you can get them and upgrade later then sell them. They have clean welds and the performance is in the same area of any other headers.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Kooks for the win. I was going to get pacesetters but decided to go with stainless. You wont regret going with Kooks. Very easy install and tuck great.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Launching!

kooks are handsdown one of th best...for twice the price. Pacesetter is a great budget header. And you wont be sacrificing any durability
Old 12-28-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

pacesetters will be rusted within a year or two,,even if it stays in the garage,,,,if rust isnt a problem, by all means,,but i you don't wanna deal with it, then go SS,,,my vote would be for the QTP's.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my pacesetters for a year and they only have a little bit of rust and my car is a DD. If you want to go SS than save more money but i would just get the pacesetters and use the money that you saved by not getting SS headers for another mod.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

If money's no concern, then obviously go for the best....my decision in that case would be between Kooks and American Racing. I was going to go with one of those, but went with the Pacesetters and used the money I saved and put it towards other stuff, and couldn't be happier. Of course I'd rather have one of the top of the line headers on my car, but my car's faster the way it sits now. And btw I DD my car from like April til November, I've driven in the rain before (now I cant because of my tires) and mine look almost new still after one full season.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

i am gonna get xs headers now that there is a sponsor that sells them, black2002ws6.

here is the link to the thread about them:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=749891&pp=20

i would contact him stainless like the expensive headers and cheap like the pacesetters. i have heard good things about them. I think i am gonna avoid that ypipe though.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want the most durable header go SS. QTP has the best merge collecter from all I have read and ARH and Kooks are tough to beat also. All these headers Are $800+. I am going SS Hooker Super Comps from T-Byrne at $519. They also have nice merges and for the $$ are hard to beat I think. I have talked to two guys who have them and said they tuck up nice (I will soon be lowered w/ Strano stuff here sittin in my living room) and went on with no issues. They both said they didn't have to even disconnect steering. I'll report my impressions when I get mine done
Old 12-28-2007, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JJhomer83
I was about to order the pacesetter LTs and the tsp true dual setup and my wife actually said to me are you sure you want the pacesetters they have more expensive ones.

I couldn't believe it!!! So my question to you guys is do I save a few more weeks and get something better? If so then what?? or do I just do the pacesetters.
+1 for Kooks. I have seen my share of Pacesetters rust on friends cars. Of course it's just a cosmetic thing. If you're a car show person and have people looking under your hood, get some stainless steel. QTP has the bling, but Kooks can be polished up. Not a big bling fan myself. I went Kooks because of the fit and stainless steel Y-pipe.

Originally Posted by JJhomer83
To give you guys an idea of the next mods in order.
torque convertor
rear
h/c (still have no idea what I want, always open for suggestions)
Fast 90/90
That's a pretty good mod list. I honestly wish I had gotten a rear end before my H/C. It's got me on pins and needles. But honestly, you being an A4 it will be a lot more forgiving on the 10 bolt than a M6. I think you could get away with going H/C then rear if that list you made is the order you plan on doing your mods.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Kooks then Pacesetter
Old 12-29-2007, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

with the pacesetters or hookers the tsp duals will be a bolt on setup. The duals will need a little modifying to get right with the qtp's or kooks. I wouldnt even consider slp's. that being said I voted QTP's because they are worth the hassle of modifying the exhaust.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
That's a pretty good mod list. I honestly wish I had gotten a rear end before my H/C. It's got me on pins and needles. But honestly, you being an A4 it will be a lot more forgiving on the 10 bolt than a M6. I think you could get away with going H/C then rear if that list you made is the order you plan on doing your mods.
The mod list I have is pretty much the order I want to go in. The reason for the rear before the H/C setup is because I have no idea what I want for the H/C setup. I have finished my research for the converter, exhuast, and rear but still have plenty of more things to think about with the H/C there is toooo many options.

Just by what I have read in this post and many others I will be going with the pacesetters and once I am pushing the limits with finding more HP I will upgrade. By any means I don't care about the Bling.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I voted "other" Get yourself a nice pair of Kooks Stainless headers, hey will out last the life of the car! But also- its what I have
Old 12-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Teching In

I have a set of SLP Stainless Steel LT's with the TSP true duals. It's extremely loud but that's how I like it. They have been on there for over 2 years and there is no rust. I have an A4 stock LS1. I installed these with a Chevy Trailblazer OEM converter and an auburn posi 3.73 carrier and ran 12.10 on MT ET Streets, it runs 11.39 @ 122 MPH on a 150 HP TNT wet shot of N2O. I hear good things about Kooks and I hear cheap things about Pacesetter. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Stainless is an investment, but may be worth it in PA. If it is stored winters, you could also look into ceramic coated headers. Not sure about inspection in PA, but longtubes make the most power in upper RPM range. You do lose some low end. If you plan on internal work in the near future you may want to look into larger primaries or stepped headers. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Who cares about surface rust, get them coated then

I had pace setters and loved them, great headers

If money wasnt a object, kooks are def worth getting but thats only when id have a nice built motor and have there race headers put on
Old 12-31-2007, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

I voted other.....that's a vote for Kook's!! I have the Kook's stepped version for my ProCharger set up on duals. But pacesetter is the best "bang for the buck" IMHO.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

Man if money was no object I would buy Kooks, but if you could use that extra cash for other mods I say go pacesetter and some other mods.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Teching In

I have a question for you guys, ever since I went to Long tubes I've always had true duals with no back pressure whatsoever. How will the car run with Long Tubes and a Y-Pipe and Cat Back system? I have had true duals and long tubes for over 2 years and I am getting curious about having a quiet car again with bottom end torque.....anyone know what thats like? Thanks. -Tom.