Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ORY vs. Catted Y

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ORY vs. Catted Y

I've decided that I'm getting Hooker Comps (LT's). But, I'm having a hard time choosing between an ORY and a catted Y. I currently have the SLP LM catback. I've heard very bad things about the sound I will get with the LM, LT's, and ORY combo. If I did go the ORY route, I'd swap the LM resonator with the XR-1. Living in Illinois, I'd have to at least get a basic tune after that to pass inspections. I'm not sure about visual inspections...most people have told me they don't check. My question is, would buying a catted Y eliminate the rasp problem I'd have with the ORY and would it also eliminate the need for a tune? I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth the cost of buying a catted Y and sacrificing the horsepower. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

First off, a catted y will only cost around 2-3 hp. Second, regardless of your cat-back, the ORY will result in a raspy sounding exhaust on the LS1 with longtube headers. I ended up putting dual cats in my car and it sounds much better. But obviously, the cats add to the cost. I got a pair of 3" carsound cats used for $50 so that's not bad at all.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

seriously man, you might as well build duals while youre there. I regret doing a catted Y and magnaflow catback. Still sounds good but could sound much better, and sound to me is the most important thing on a car. But if youre going to stick with a Y setup get a set of Magnaflow Metallic Spun cats which are OBDII EPA compliant except for Cali and be done with it, Cuts down lots of raspand making ur system sound better, while still being good and loud!
Old 12-28-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORY all the way.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not sure but thought the cats would cost you 5-10 rwhp. I was planning on just gutting mine. They do a visual check here in NC so that's why I need them. I heard the best way to run gutted cats was to run a pipe thru them to keep the flow up.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
ORY all the way.

9 times out of 10 id agree....but seeing as how you are running a loudmouth, you will kick yourself in the *** if you run a loudmouth with an ory.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I am not sure but thought the cats would cost you 5-10 rwhp. I was planning on just gutting mine. They do a visual check here in NC so that's why I need them. I heard the best way to run gutted cats was to run a pipe thru them to keep the flow up.
Stock cats will cost you that much but aftermarket dual 3" cats are not a restriction until you start hitting some serious hp numbers. Cats mean you can't lean out your tune too much or it will damage them. As for gutting stock cats, that's a really bad idea that will cost you hp vs gaining any. The stock cats are an odd shape and gutting them will allow the exhaust to expand too much and create turbulence which will hurt airflow. If you plan on keeping stock manifolds, look into the Random Tech dual cat y-pipe setup. They flow a lot better at 2-1/2" compared to stock 2 or 2-1/4". I just looked at my stock cats and they are 2-1/4" going into the cat(there is a metal ring that could be removed to open up to 2-1/2") but the output end is even smaller at 2" on the bend!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

+1 ory, and if they do a visual inspection and see your ses light on because you don't have your rear o2's tuned out they can fail you...if you are getting the race stye headers, you will need to get egr/air tuned out as well
Old 01-01-2008, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

Anyone have any sound clips with the LM/LT's/catted y? I still want it to be loud and sound good, but I don't want rasp.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

ls1sounds.com or youtube.com
Old 01-01-2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28AQUINO
seriously man, you might as well build duals while youre there. I regret doing a catted Y and magnaflow catback. Still sounds good but could sound much better, and sound to me is the most important thing on a car. But if youre going to stick with a Y setup get a set of Magnaflow Metallic Spun cats which are OBDII EPA compliant except for Cali and be done with it, Cuts down lots of raspand making ur system sound better, while still being good and loud!
off topic but bro your rims are clean on that z28!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:12 AM
11 Second Club

I like my setup a lot. Not raspy at all and you wont lose much of any HP at all IMO.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:35 AM
TECH Resident

^^^that is a good sounding set-up for keeping the noise down! less tickets = more mods
Old 01-08-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cats will cost you very little horsepower. Infact, your mufflers are more restrictive than are your cats.

The will definetely limit rasp.