Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what headers should i get

Old 12-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what headers should i get

im wanting a good set of ceramic coated headers for my WS6, i have no idea what set to get though, i was going to get the SLP headers but then i seen you have to get a header installation kit, do i have to have that installation kit?? or should i go with some pacsetters?? need some help with this

thanks,
billy
Old 12-30-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how about some nice stainless steel XS headers

link in sig
Old 12-30-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

most headers will come with the kit, the only one i haven't seen come with the kit are the slp....i would suggest pacesetter because they are budget priced and good set of headers...but if money isn't a issue, xs or kooks would be the key
Old 12-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

pacesetters, or kooks if u got unlimited budget i had pacesetters on a ls1 and they were great with a easy install
Old 12-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Launching!

so do the pacestters come with the installation kit, and since im not going to put on the cats i will need to get a set of simulators wont i??

billy
Old 12-30-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

mmk if you ARENT running cats yes you will need sims OR you need a tune which is much better.

the "install" kit is just gaskets. I suggest ditching whatever botls and gaskets come with them and get some STOCK GM gaskets and re-use your stock bolts or get some grade 8 locking bolts
Old 12-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Launching!

well then will it hurt to put a set of high flow cats on it or is that just a waste of money?? HOOKERs arent that expensive and that is what my dad and grandpa have on the muscle cars so has anyone herd anything bad about them? and there is also flowtech how are they?
Old 12-30-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get pacesetters with the ORY. cheap/great quality and performance. stay away from slps unless you like dragging on everything on the road!!
Old 12-30-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

flowtechs are pure ****. if youre looking for a non-stainless budget ehader get apce setters and ALWAYS get the ceramic coating. if you want to spend about $100 more for stainless get the XS.

cats are your choice, good high flow cats loose very little power, but muffle out a lot of rasp and tone it down some, so this is more of a sound question.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

check out EDELBROCKS...easy install..I have coated..still look great after 15-16 months. They have S/STEEL now also.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

pacesetter or edelbrock...hands down!!!
Old 12-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Tech Resident

The "installation kit" they're referring to has O2 extensions, gaskets, probably bolts and clamps, all that crap. Most headers aren't going to come with all that, and if they do, they're often cheap junk that you'd want to upgrade anyway.

I went with stainless QTP's, and they only came with a set of thin metal gaskets. I decided to upgrade everything. I didn't want to reuse the stock bolts - I bought Stage 8 bolts. I wanted a good set of O2 extensions so I bought 2 24" extensions. I wanted the best gaskets so I bought multi-layered Percy's aluminum gaskets, the best on the market. I got new plugs, new wires, etc...I wanted the best of everything, and that's what I got.

That's all the crap I bought when I did my header install. Headers aren't a mod to cheap out on IMO. Cheapening out may to back to haunt you when something cheap fails.

My vote goes to QTP headers. All the stainless headers are good, be it QTP, Kooks, ARH or Edelbrock. They're infinitely better than coated headers, but I went with QTP's because they're the best priced one, they're fully polished and look great unlike the others, they have high velocity merge collectors, the welds are awesome and I caught a good sale on them.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tainted
flowtechs are pure ****. if youre looking for a non-stainless budget ehader get apce setters and ALWAYS get the ceramic coating. if you want to spend about $100 more for stainless get the XS.

cats are your choice, good high flow cats loose very little power, but muffle out a lot of rasp and tone it down some, so this is more of a sound question.
I've had no problems with my flowtechs. They bolted right up and have zero leaks. The coating has lasted longer than my brothers pacesetters so I'm not sure who informed you of that. The headers have a flange on them so it bolts directly to the y pipe. No need for leaky band clamps.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Black99CamaroSS
I'm not sure who informed you of that.
reading other threads on how theirs are breaking apart at the seams and leaking. The last set of flowtechs I saw the flange was wavy as hell. theya rent known to be of the greatest quality. good to see you arent having trouble with yours
Old 12-30-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

screw the xs headers they suck, no tech support what so ever and they fit like sh**. you should be ok reusing the factory header bolts and gaskets. i resued mine when i took the xs headers back off and put the factory stuff back on. i bought band clamps from napa for like $10.00 each. if you want xs headers i will sell u mine for cheap they was only used for about 2 months they come with the y-pipe also pm me
Old 12-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Launching!

so i guess ill go with a set of ceramic coated pacetters, and the installation kit. i have SLP loudmouth i dont want my car to sound like crap if i get the pacetters and leave off the cats will the car sound to loud and have a crappy sound to it?
Old 12-30-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

It will sound like my car.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

it will be loud no doubt and will have a lot of rasp

Search this Thread