Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "Y Pipe" - a flawed design?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are XS but are changing their name and getting the exclusive rights for the headers. They have a TD set-up in the works, all stainless steel with their own stainless mufflers
Old 01-06-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heck, I'd be thrilled to find a 3" stainless Y that fits my QTP's. I'm still po'd that they don't make a stainless Y for them. I just can't see $330 for an aluminized Y pipe with a flowmaster merge. For now, I have a Pacesetter y cut and welded to get me by and boy does it hang down.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JL8Jeff
Not necessarily true. Most cat-backs neck down to 2.75" where it connects to the stock y-pipe. That's the part I'm saying to cut off both the y-pipe and cat-back and put in a true 3" piece.
I'm following you, but who makes a stainless pipe that will connect the 2?

See what I mean guys? It shouldn't be this difficult... it's like there are too many choices, sizes, etc...
Old 01-06-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ATLSS
I'm following you, but who makes a stainless pipe that will connect the 2?

See what I mean guys? It shouldn't be this difficult... it's like there are too many choices, sizes, etc...
so you want an entire stainless steel exhaust? im sure it will look pretty if anyone ever looks under your car, but for the money its not worth it

my exhaust pips are aluminized steel that resist corrosion from flowmaster
Old 01-07-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

You keep mentioning 2.75" so it sounds like you are trying to break 500 hp while keeping the stock exhaust manifolds and y-pipe.
I'm not quite sure that I understand your argument of a "flawed design", either. The factory setup serves the purpose of noise cancellation and emissions control. It doesn't serve the purpose of supporting 500 hp because it wasn't designed to or intended to do so.
The f-body uses a y-pipe setup...so what? It can be improved upon just like every other factory exhaust on every other car made. People replace the entire Corvette exhaust too cuz it's not that great.

If you are just looking for a stainless cat-back to connect to your stock y-pipe with the 2.75" intermediate connection, then there are quite a few choices: Magnaflow, GMMG, Corsa, Bassani, Stainless Works, etc.
However, I don't see why you would want to keep the stock y-pipe with a horsepower goal of 500. Just a little confused.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:34 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
2 things that true duals with an X or H crossover give you that a Y setup will not are: more power and torque "under the curve" and a deeper, less raspy (or no rasp) sound. To me, the issue of true duals vs a good Y setup is like shorty headers vs long tubes. Shortys do make a little more power than manifolds, but they give up some at the peak and even more low end and midrange. If this were not the case with true duals vs a single Y, every muscle car made today would have single exhaust.

It's really a pretty simple concept that boils down to what you want out of an exhaust setup and what you're willing to do to get there.

Jason
Not 100% true. If you setup a ypipe properly, you will get all of the scaveging benefits that people try to get with a x-pipe. Not all x or h pipes are benefits either. If an x pipe crosses at a 90 degree angle, you create a lot of turbulance at the intersection, which is usually the problem with cheap ypipe merges. Most place just have one side hitting the other at a 90 degree angle then dumped into a single outlet. It's all about making that transition as smooth as possible.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:46 AM
10 Second Club

In my application I found the edelbrock Y-pipe chiming in at a little over 100 dollars to be a good fit for my exhaust. To me the Edelbrock was a no brainer since it's transition was very smooth and both pipes were cut into a single pipe out back instead of the drivers pipe transitioning into the passenger pipe. I did have to get it custom fabbed up at my local exhaust shop to make it work on my pacesetters but I think it turned out very well. And it is a true 3" all the way.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
If you are just looking for a stainless cat-back to connect to your stock y-pipe with the 2.75" intermediate connection, then there are quite a few choices: Magnaflow, GMMG, Corsa, Bassani, Stainless Works, etc. However, I don't see why you would want to keep the stock y-pipe with a horsepower goal of 500. Just a little confused.
A lot of the aftermarket Y pipes have the 2.75 connection to mate with catbacks like the above - as well as stock. I think that's what he's getting at.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
A lot of the aftermarket Y pipes have the 2.75 connection to mate with catbacks like the above - as well as stock. I think that's what he's getting at.
Oh, now I see...cutting off that crimped down section requires extending the y-pipe to make up the difference.

I swapped the MAC y-pipe collector to the Flowmaster collector on my y-pipe. The Flowmaster version is so much longer that it made up the difference with length to spare. It did require fabrication, though. I did the fitting and taack welding myself at my companies workshop, then took it to a muffler shop to finish weld.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Correct.

I just got off the phone with ARH and they are happy to make me a 3.5" exit at the merge...

I also called Mufflex for a 3.5" stainless catback with Magnaflow muffler (single exit on the driver's side). They will call me back with the details/cost but said it would not be a problem...

If I can put these 2 together, this post will die... problem solved so-to-speak... it just cost me more work/time than I had anticipated...

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Correct.

I just got off the phone with ARH and they are happy to make me a 3.5" exit at the merge...

I also called Mufflex for a 3.5" stainless catback with Magnaflow muffler (single exit on the driver's side). They will call me back with the details/cost but said it would not be a problem...

If I can put these 2 together, this post will die... problem solved so-to-speak... it just cost me more work/time than I had anticipated...

Thanks for everyone's input.
Mufflex is awesome, I am going back soon for my SFC's. It sounds like you're piecing together a badass exhaust, keep up updated.

I would imagine a SS 3.5" is going to be very pricey, so be prepared. Years ago they were planning on making their 4" and 3.5" systems in SS. I couldn't find them about a year later so I called them up. They told me that the price would just to be too much for most people and they most likely just opt for the aluminized version. I believe Stainless Work sells a 3.5" SS catback, it's around $800 I think.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stainless Works makes a SS 3.5" catback but you don't here many using it. It also looks like the I pipe is reduced where it connects with the Y pipe.

ARH has a very good looking merge in their Y pipes.

My plan is to go with ARH and lop off the end of the Y that reduces and fit in a 3" SS piece as was mentioned before.

Good luck on your outcome.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ssgunny
Stainless Works makes a SS 3.5" catback but you don't here many using it. It also looks like the I pipe is reduced where it connects with the Y pipe.

ARH has a very good looking merge in their Y pipes.

My plan is to go with ARH and lop off the end of the Y that reduces and fit in a 3" SS piece as was mentioned before.

Good luck on your outcome.
Keep in mind that ARH will fabricate any size pipe and merge that you want... so there is no need to cut the merge if you can have it done right the first time...
Old 01-07-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I think that Patrick G proved that a well designed ypipe actually works better than a true dual setup. You can read his posts yourself, but I think he tried both setups and actually made more poer with his current ypipe setup. Another myth he dispelled is that you need big heads and cams to make power. He actually made more usable power with AFR 205s than 225s. He made the same hp, but actually more torque peak with the 205s over the 225s.

Bigger isn't always better folks. Gotta realize that a x-merge has two flow disturbances, where the exhaust merges, then splits, where a ypipe only has the merge as a flow disturbance. So it really comes down to the merge that makes all the difference. The smoother the transistion the better the flow and power. Plus there isn't much to gain with a 3"-4" difference once you get past the merge collector on the ypipe. A 3" pipe will flow a butt ton.
No, patrickG proved that a well designed y-pipe CAN make big power. He by no means proved that in all cases it is a better design than duals.
He didn't dispell any "myth" that big heads make better power, he showed that on THAT PARTICULAR SETUP that 205s were better. You act like his results prove that duals and bigger runner heads are never better and that's rediculous. Different parts are better for different setups, duals are usually greater than a y-pipe setup. Mrr pulled his y-pipe and aftermerket catback and bolted on a bassani duals system and picked up an easy 10+ hp across the board on a stock TB to exhaust manifold car.

And an x is supposed to disturb flow, it's the scavenging cause by an X that is wanted. Smooth flow isn't always the answer.

And for those that don't want to pay for a custom over the axle setup, I pad $300 for 2.5" duals from headers out the back, with a custom X and 1 chamber flows. They have never banged the floorboard or anything, great setup.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Didn't read through the whole post so don't bash me if it was mentioned. But What about a stepped Y-pipe that's kinda liked the stepped headers? Instead of the two sides merging right at the bend to the back, add a couple runners to straighten it out then merge them? And most aftermarket Y-pipes are 2.5" if I'm not mistaken, where most cat-backs are 3". So it would be a pretty decent merge in my opinion. And I've seen a lot of power pulled through the stock style setup, but do believe and have seen proof that with higher numbers the true dual setup is the way to go. But with under 500 or so the stock setup handles the power pretty well.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:55 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
No, patrickG proved that a well designed y-pipe CAN make big power. He by no means proved that in all cases it is a better design than duals.
He didn't dispell any "myth" that big heads make better power, he showed that on THAT PARTICULAR SETUP that 205s were better. You act like his results prove that duals and bigger runner heads are never better and that's rediculous. Different parts are better for different setups, duals are usually greater than a y-pipe setup. Mrr pulled his y-pipe and aftermerket catback and bolted on a bassani duals system and picked up an easy 10+ hp across the board on a stock TB to exhaust manifold car.

And an x is supposed to disturb flow, it's the scavenging cause by an X that is wanted. Smooth flow isn't always the answer.

And for those that don't want to pay for a custom over the axle setup, I pad $300 for 2.5" duals from headers out the back, with a custom X and 1 chamber flows. They have never banged the floorboard or anything, great setup.
Sorry for over genaralizing. What I was trying to point out is that for a lot of stock cube motors, going bigger isn't always better and Patrick G showed that with a couple of different things. Specifically head runner size as well as exhaust and cams.

A lot of people want the biggest cams, heads, and exhaust they can get, which really doesn't add up sometimes on stock cubed motors. Now larger displacement motors are a totally different story.

Also, scaveging and turbulance are two different things in exhaust. Scaveging is a plus but turbulance is a restriction in flow. That's why most good header collectors have a spike in them to reduce the turbulance when the exhaust gasses merge. This keeps the velocity higher and helps pull the ehxuast pulses along. Turbulance breaks that up and slows down the flow of exhaust.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Update

***UPDATE***

I just got off the phone with Danny at Mufflex (really nice guy). I ordered a 4" catback w/ Magnaflow muffler... he is throwing in a sleeve to connect the 4" catback and 4" exit on the y pipe merge...

Next phone call is to American Racing Headers to order the headers/y pipe and they are fabricating the y pipe to have 3" pipes merge into the single 4".

With everyone's input and really thinking this exhaust through, I now feel that I have made the absolute best choice for maximum horsepower.

Thank you all for your input and help.

I'll update this post with lots of pictures and my thoughts on the system after I have it installed.

Jason

***REVISION 1/9/07***

After a few more discussions with American Racing Headers and Mufflex I have decided to go with a 3.5" merge and catback...

So, the ARH headers, y pipe and Mufflex catback are all ordered and should be in my hands soon.

I will be taking lots of pictures and will write a complete review of the install and end result.

I can't wait!

Last edited by ATLSS; 01-09-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are plenty of cars making big power with a ypipe setup
Old 01-07-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xBROKEx
there are plenty of cars making big power with a ypipe setup
I'm not saying that you can't make power with a y-pipe. Will it support the HP? Yes. Would most of those cars make more HP with a good dual setup? Absolutely.

Will an LS1 intake support 500hp? Dang right it will, but almost everyone swaps it out for something that will make even more hp. Same situation with a big HP car with a y-pipe.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

***UPDATE***

I just got off the phone with Danny at Mufflex (really nice guy). I ordered a 4" catback w/ Magnaflow muffler... he is throwing in a sleeve to connect the 4" catback and 4" exit on the y pipe merge...

Next phone call is to American Racing Headers to order the headers/y pipe and they are fabricating the y pipe to have 3" pipes merge into the single 4".

With everyone's input and really thinking this exhaust through, I now feel that I have made the absolute best choice for maximum horsepower.

Thank you all for your input and help.

I'll update this post with lots of pictures and my thoughts on the system after I have it installed.

Jason
I believe his name is Denny.

This exhaust sounds like the ****! Good luck with it!

Quick Reply: The "Y Pipe" - a flawed design?