Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just did the free ram air mod!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just did the free ram air mod!!!

This is by far one of the best mods to an F-Body, and it is free!
Old 07-07-2003, 10:18 AM
Teching In

FREE RAM AIR WAS MY FIRST MOD AND IT COSTS NOTHING I JUST WISH THAT THE REST OF MY MOD'S WERE THAT EASY
Old 07-07-2003, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Camaro SS,
The reason your temp gauge is reading approx. 210 is that the factory fan settings aren't set up to untilize the 180deg thermostat. You need to get into the computer to change the fan settings, with the Diablo Sport Predator would be the easiest.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:38 AM
11 Second Club

No ****?!?!?! I gotta get one, but got no money. Any way to not spend all that dough?
Old 07-07-2003, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey sscam68, I've got reusable air filter.
I don't check the radiator or the air filter for debris every other week. If I would have had that 'free ram air' cutout, I would have had a much degraded air filter/airbox.
hey ss1le02, was that hp gain with the SSRA over the SS hood/intake setup with a proper lid??
It just seems to me I don't want my intake just above the ground, sucking up all the debris, etc. as well as the air. Now what about the K&N FIPK?? This looks ideal to me, but then whats the best way to get air to it? If you don't want it coming from below? What about the Ultra Z hood, would that work? Or maybe just modify the SS hood at a composite shop? I'm just tryin to think of something else...
FWIW I live in a desert area. I used to live in El Paso and now in Albuquerque. Its only a 3hr drive but the climate and landscape conditions are practically the same. Anyways on to my point. Before I did the Ram Air mod I had the car for a week and the only mod at the time was the K&N. I drove it around for 2 weeks with the airfilter. I was working on the brakes when I decided to check how dirty the air filter was. I pulled it out and just dropped it on the floor with the dirty side down a few times and low and behold there was more than a little dirt in there. I looked from the bottom of the car to see what was in front of the condensor and I saw a plastic bag from some cookies and a piece of foam.

The point is its going to get dirty no matter what. Its just one of those things you have to check anyways as part of routine maintenance. No biggie IMO.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

The FRA mod does not hurt your air lid or air filter. It is perfectly safe to do. The only downside of it is if you have a reuseable filter like the K&N or Powershot you will need to check it more and clean it more often. Objects like cigarette butts and debris are one of the reasons you need to have an air filter in your car.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

I did FRA and to me it's worth it cause factory set up was almost non existent for air flow to that engine.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, it's hard enough to even find threads this old. Was there really a 7 year gap in FTRA posts?
Old 06-05-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Damn, it's hard enough to even find threads this old. Was there really a 7 year gap in FTRA posts?
Gotta give him credit on that. At least he knows how to use the search button!

Quick Reply: Just did the free ram air mod!!!