Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just did the free ram air mod!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 11:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just did the free ram air mod!!!

I suggest this to everybody, I CAN FEEL THE POWER!!!
I finished this in like 10-15 min., and I can hear the engine suck air!!!! It is amplified to a large level, and I can even hear it in the car, even while driving!!! I think it gave me about 2-3hp, for free thats a real deal! Everyone needs to do this immediatly, you have nothing to lose but a little money if you screw it up bad.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Just did the free ram air mod!!!

I just did this mod a few days ago. It is definatlly a must.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Now add the FTRA and you we see that your engine has been starving for air..
Old 07-05-2003, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

FTRA, What is that? The next mod for me is 180 degree thermostat.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Fast Toys Ram Air, I believe they are listed on the side as a sponsor
Old 07-05-2003, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

That means I will have triple ram air? That could cause a little turbulance. I'll think abou it, but doubt ever doing it, I still have the stock intake.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

HOW EXACTLY IS THE FREE RAM AIR DONE??? DOES IT WORK 4 2002 Z28's
Old 07-05-2003, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That means I will have triple ram air? That could cause a little turbulance. I'll think abou it, but doubt ever doing it, I still have the stock intake.
Pssst. I hate to break it to you, but the "Ram Air" SS hood is for appearance only. It does nothing at the track. So I guess you could say you have double ram air. Whatever the hell that means.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

HOW EXACTLY IS THE FREE RAM AIR DONE??? DOES IT WORK 4 2002 Z28's

Check out www.installuniversity.com , there's a full writeup with pics. It works for any 98+ F-body (non-Supercharged of course).
Old 07-05-2003, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pssst. I hate to break it to you, but the "Ram Air" SS hood is for appearance only. It does nothing at the track. So I guess you could say you have double ram air. Whatever the hell that means.

The FTRA is just the next step of what you already did-not something different. SLP makes one, too -- check out their websites and you'll see.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

It completes the free air mod.. for the cost, great gains.. No Lid? Are kidding?
Old 07-05-2003, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought the FRA made it difficult to install the FTRA, SLP Cold Air, etc.? Does it not, and does it make those systems even more effective?

Josh
Old 07-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Guys, how much sense does it make to do the free ram air mod, unless your car is strictly track/strip? I just cleaned some old newspaper, cigarette butts, plastic, etc. out from the top of my radiator, from underneath the car. It looks to me that if you cut that hole in the back you will get massive amounts of junk headed for your intake. I can't imagine what the airfilter would look like after only a short time.
CamaroSS - you definately need yourself a lid, first and foremost. And if I read your profile correctly, you have an '01 SS, me too. I say that because we already have the 180deg thermostat. I didn't realize that when I bought one from SLP, and installed it. Those guys will sell you anything, they don't care.
I do need to get their subframe connectors though.

latre
Old 07-06-2003, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those that have 98-00 the EGR mod will help a lot as well.

As for all that junk get a reuseable aif filter.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Guys, how much sense does it make to do the free ram air mod, unless your car is strictly track/strip? I just cleaned some old newspaper, cigarette butts, plastic, etc. out from the top of my radiator, from underneath the car. It looks to me that if you cut that hole in the back you will get massive amounts of junk headed for your intake. I can't imagine what the airfilter would look like after only a short time.
CamaroSS - you definately need yourself a lid, first and foremost. And if I read your profile correctly, you have an '01 SS, me too. I say that because we already have the 180deg thermostat. I didn't realize that when I bought one from SLP, and installed it. Those guys will sell you anything, they don't care.
I do need to get their subframe connectors though.

latre
It makes a lot of sense to do the FRA mod. As you mod the car you are constantly checking stuff, so cleaning out the radiator is no big deal. Check out the Super Sucker Ram Air(SSRA) kit. Basically all the cold air induction(CAI) kits are the same. The Super Sucker however has a scoop that mounts to the bottom of the front bumper. The SSRA kit picked up 13rwhp over the stock set up. We simulated airstream by placing a construction blower right in front of the Super Sucker.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

hey sscam68, I've got reusable air filter.
I don't check the radiator or the air filter for debris every other week. If I would have had that 'free ram air' cutout, I would have had a much degraded air filter/airbox.
hey ss1le02, was that hp gain with the SSRA over the SS hood/intake setup with a proper lid??
It just seems to me I don't want my intake just above the ground, sucking up all the debris, etc. as well as the air. Now what about the K&N FIPK?? This looks ideal to me, but then whats the best way to get air to it? If you don't want it coming from below? What about the Ultra Z hood, would that work? Or maybe just modify the SS hood at a composite shop? I'm just tryin to think of something else...
Old 07-06-2003, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

HydroDesign, yes the 13rwhp gain was on a stock SS with the hood closed on the dyno. It also had the stock airlid. The problem with the FIPK is that you're getting underhood air. I'm sure there is some way to modify it to get cool air.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

yeah SS1le02, it seems to me that might be the ideal solution. Modify a setup to use the FIPK with cool air.
I do agree that the SS hood's air intake design is far from optimal.
and that 13rwhp is impressive.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:06 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pssst. I hate to break it to you, but the "Ram Air" SS hood is for appearance only.
Aw, come on, it does somethin'! It's not the most efficient way of routing air, but its gotta do somethin'!
Old 07-06-2003, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

I hate that damn WS6, every time I see one, I want one. Their Ram air system is great too. The reason I don't have the Lid is because I am 16 and my Dad can not know any modification done to this car. I can maybe get a lid in December but any one else know free upgrades tell me please please please tell me, I beg you. As for the 180 degree thermostat my car run at 210 buddy, and from thefactory, so did yours. It has been 4 days now and nothig has happened yet. Not one thing in the intake, but as for the hood being non functional here is a tip for ya'. Take out the scoop grill, thats also for looks, and grind the opening to the intake, you will notice a pretty vast gain in the quater so it is worth it, andit is free if ya' got da tools. I have not done this to mine because it is pretty noticable from the exterior, and reading what I said earlier I can't do that, but it makes the car look badass from the exterior. Trust me, do this to make that scoop work!

Quick Reply: Just did the free ram air mod!!!