Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Typhoon Intake issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008 | 06:39 PM
TECH Junkie

whether or not one intake is better or not, bad or good, blah blah blah...

in the end, the F.A.S.T. stuff is just WAYYYYYYYY overpriced... in my book they are way too proud of their product and as far as i'm concerned, until the price goes down a good 25%-30% they can keep their intake. I can buy a running Geo Metro for under the price of their intake! That's a friggin car! I hope that new Weiand intake shows some good numbers at a decent price. Then maybe they guys at F.A.S.T. will wake up and realize that a piece of plastic doesn't cost close to 1k!!! They can blame the price on tooling, testing, this and that all they want... in the end we all know it's a bunch of B.S. and just more reasons to make another buck off of the little guy...
Old 02-26-2008 | 07:55 PM
On The Tree

So are you guys using the 85mm version or the 96? Im thinkin about getting the pro products setup also.
Old 02-26-2008 | 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sroach20
my logic doesnt make any sense? would you like me to get some crayons and explain it slowly? i paid four grand and got an 01. its just another example of paying a little extra and getting something better than a 98.
wow your just really an *** aren't you. bet you bought that mentality as well.
Old 02-26-2008 | 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sroach20
my logic doesnt make any sense? would you like me to get some crayons and explain it slowly? i paid four grand and got an 01. its just another example of paying a little extra and getting something better than a 98.
Funny how you go all on the defensive. I guess we hit a nerve with the overpaying thing.

I pretty regularly look at peoples mods and what they paid for ****. I have not seen many in my rwhp range for as little as I have in my car. If you expect us all to beleive you only paid $4000 for an 01 but wouldnt consider a $350 intake and would rather pay over $1000 then you must take us all for fools. Keep dreaming buddy.

OH, I JUST NOTICED YOUR OCCUPATION IS STUDENT, SO YOU KNOW IT ALL AND YOU HAVE ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD. SORRY TO HAVE STEPPED ON SUCH A WORLDLY PERSON'S VIEWS. You are obviously right because you know everything allready.

Last edited by mnypitZ; 02-27-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-27-2008 | 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

I think this intake looks a lot better and it is a lot cheaper AND it comes with the fuel rails. This polished combo looks totally kick ***. I actually discovered this product today and i'm very impressed.

Last edited by Simon SS; 02-28-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2008 | 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

are the gains worth replacing the LS6 intake?
Old 02-27-2008 | 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Omec
are the gains worth replacing the LS6 intake?
The gains along with the look was worth it for me. And the cost was less than I sold my LS6 intake for. I wanted to do an intake only swap to see real numbers, but I just didnt have the extra cash to do the testing right now. Gonna have to leave it to someone else. The only graph I have ever seen showed a 17 horsepower gain on a similarly modded engine to mine, but I dont think I got that much. I am guessing maybe 10rwhp from intake and throttle body. I think the cam gave me the other 20rwhp, but who knows. AND the best thing is that I didnt lose any bottom end to achieve it.

For me, to make money in the end and to spend 1 hour swapping it out was way worth it, and it looks awesome under the hood. I seriously doubt a FAST at nearly triple the price would give that much more if any.

Now its on to built bottom end and better heads and 500rwhp.
Old 02-27-2008 | 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mnypitZ
The gains along with the look was worth it for me. And the cost was less than I sold my LS6 intake for. I wanted to do an intake only swap to see real numbers, but I just didnt have the extra cash to do the testing right now. Gonna have to leave it to someone else. The only graph I have ever seen showed a 17 horsepower gain on a similarly modded engine to mine, but I dont think I got that much. I am guessing maybe 10rwhp from intake and throttle body. I think the cam gave me the other 20rwhp, but who knows. AND the best thing is that I didnt lose any bottom end to achieve it.

For me, to make money in the end and to spend 1 hour swapping it out was way worth it, and it looks awesome under the hood. I seriously doubt a FAST at nearly triple the price would give that much more if any.

Now its on to built bottom end and better heads and 500rwhp.
ooooh i thought you had the 98 intake. like ya said you can sell the ls6 for more than the prof set up costs. looks good thats for sure. i cant justify buying the FAST set up. it would be nice but thats alot of money. im not on the poor boat but like most people i cant justify spending $1,000 + on just an intake.
Old 02-27-2008 | 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree. And at this point I would be surprised if I got any real gains from a FAST. Lets face it, 410rwhp on a stingy dyno on a stock 98 bottom end and ported 98 heads with 122k miles on it is pretty good. Even the guy that owns the dyno said it would probably hit 420 or 425 on another dyno. I dont think that is half bad. I think with better heads(Patriots or Livernois) and no blowby, it would probably be up in the high 400s.
Old 02-27-2008 | 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya right on man. they def are good numbers for realy not having too much into it. ive got my LS6 intake off right now because of the swap and am realy tempted to sell it.
Old 02-28-2008 | 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

I just ordered my 96 mm setup. Can't wait to see it. Still wondering if i'll make my TB fit on it like a glove?
Old 02-28-2008 | 12:17 PM
Launching!

Who has the best prices for these?
Old 02-28-2008 | 01:14 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

I can get them to you guys at a very reasonable price.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 02-28-2008 | 04:35 PM
Banned

I have one too.. only thing I didn't like was that giant green tb gasket that came with my kit a year ago, I had to get out the exacto knife and trim the excess down to make it look better

If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the same intake, but I would have taken the bottom plate off of it and gotten in there with a dremel and done a little bit of cleaning and porting.

That will be a job for next winter when I open the whole intake tract up to 85mm with their TB, an LS6 maf, and a fast toys 85mm lid. Should be good enough for my car, it's not a real high end build.
Old 02-28-2008 | 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cdoggy81
Who has the best prices for these?
I have bought from Scoggin Dickey, great guys. I got my Professional Products from a company on eBay called Blue Oval Industries. They were the cheapest at the time.
Old 02-28-2008 | 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just read all this stuff. Couple things.

1. Scoggin Dickey is the place to buy from

2. If you have used something personally or at least worked with it, your opinion is valuable. Otherwise, you are an internet bench racer. Nothing more.

This intake went on nicely, and looks great. I helped John, and this was a nice piece.
Old 03-03-2008 | 01:37 AM
TECH Resident

i have the polished 85mm on my car and its pretty sweet especially with my polished nitro daves n2o plate on it...check it out in the nitrous forum. i did get my intake ported though, because the casting marks on the inside of the manifold were really bad, but now its smooth as glass inside...i can bet that my manifold will flow as good as a FAST...but the heads and cam are going on in like 2 or 3 weeks as soon as the heads get ported...so i will post some numbers w/ and without the nitrous.
Old 03-03-2008 | 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have been looking at these for quite some time. My trans am has an LS6 intake on it now so I don't know if it would be any gain over that. My vette just has the LS1 intake on it so I can't decide what car to put it on if I buy one.
Old 03-03-2008 | 03:27 AM
TECH Resident

Who has the best price on the polished intake with fuel rails? MIght also be interested in the throttle body in a package deal.
Old 01-16-2010 | 05:07 PM
Banned

Im starting to gain intrest in this intake, i like the price.

I see alot of threads on this intake showing good gains when boosted. I wonder what the gains would be on a cam only LS6.

Also What are my options on throttle body.

Right now I have the tiny stocker , what would be a good T.B. to run ?

90mm LS2 ?

Quick Reply: Typhoon Intake issues