Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

doing a head swap ..... damn driver header!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default doing a head swap ..... damn driver header!!!

I cant seem to get it out the way!!! its interfering with me getting the bottom bolts off.... it doesnt move for anything it looks like its hitting the part where it handles the steering... (part of that connects to rack and pinon) ive tried unbolting my clamps to move them a bit but i cant seem to get them out... ive unloosen the back 2 bolts but the rest are hard!!! lol I guess this is what i get for doing my first head swap with not much mechanical exp. all input is helpful thx!
Old 01-27-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a buddy pull it out of the way while you take the bolts out. I did it by myself; but had someone hold it out of the way on the reinstall. What headers?
Old 01-27-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

pacesetters... also what are the specs for the head bolts?
Old 01-27-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what do you mean specs if youre taking them out there are 5 15mm bolts that need to be pulled. If your looking for torque specs got to www.ls1howto.com Its all in there. I pulled the y-pipe off my hooker headers and then push the collector as far towards the center of the car as I could. While someone up top pulled the flange as far towards the outside of the car. That gave us just enough room to get in there and remove the bolts.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 99mongooSS
what do you mean specs if youre taking them out there are 5 15mm bolts that need to be pulled. If your looking for torque specs got to www.ls1howto.com Its all in there. I pulled the y-pipe off my hooker headers and then push the collector as far towards the center of the car as I could. While someone up top pulled the flange as far towards the outside of the car. That gave us just enough room to get in there and remove the bolts.
Exactly. This was a three person job when I did mine. One under the car pushing, two others up top. One person unbolting and another grabbing onto the header flange pulling.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

haha i just changed my head gaskets this week so i left the headers in the car so i know what u mean about it being in the way. i undid my y pipe and pushed it as far over as i could. kind of a pia by urself but 2 drinks later ur frustration fades