Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pacesetters and ORY+ fowmaster= Rasp????

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

flowmaster sounds awesome, but they just dont flow well, to sum everything up
Old 01-31-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

They sound like a pickup truck with true duels. Once I had my dynatech supermaxx installed the first thing that had to go was the pieced together factory/flowmaster muffler setup somebody did long before I bought it. A hooker catback picked up almost 10 rwhp it.

Last edited by NC98Z; 01-31-2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Launching!

well damnnn ...what to doooo
Old 01-31-2008, 03:20 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
the loss of hp with the flowmaster catback has been proven with dyno sheets on here.
For every guy that has shown a 20 rwhp gain by opening a cutout on a dyno, there's a guy that's shown only a 2 rwhp gain by opening a cutout on a dyno. The fact is, the claims against Flowmaster on this site are typically exaggerated. Does it flow as well as a Loudmouth? Of course not, but it's not going to turn an 11 second car into a 12 second car by running that catback.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, the question was about raspiness and not about flow. When I had that setup i found it to be very raspy indeed. I swapped out the flowmaster with a hooker. Sounds much better!!
Old 01-31-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

if you want to get rid of rasp, i have LTs and ORY with a bassani quiet thunder cat-back... its sounds as quiet as stock
Old 01-31-2008, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
For every guy that has shown a 20 rwhp gain by opening a cutout on a dyno, there's a guy that's shown only a 2 rwhp gain by opening a cutout on a dyno. The fact is, the claims against Flowmaster on this site are typically exaggerated. Does it flow as well as a Loudmouth? Of course not, but it's not going to turn an 11 second car into a 12 second car by running that catback.
Well at least u seem to agree with me! Just like u said, it may cost a little power, but o well...That's what the cutout is for! When the time to race or go to the track or pass some slow ******* arises, THEN every last hp will count with that cutout open!
Old 01-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chevy0128
well **** i really dont have the money to rredo my catback and how much hp is it "costing"me jsut a couple ?? Also scrapinbye how do you like those pacesetters ...ill prob just keep the ccatback n get an ecutout when i get a litle cash

The flowmaster 80 might cost u 2-3 hp, or it might cost u 10. Depends on the car. On the average I would say it is well under 10 hp, but dont get me lying! And to that **** stain BigKap94z, I am trying to help the man. I understand he is trying to save money and am telling him what I have on my car. Do u Bigkap not remember me stating that I am installing an exhaust cutout? Yes, I know that cost money as well, but it gives u more OPTIONS which most people on this board would tip their hat to that notion.
BTW, I love my Pacesetters. Good header for the money. But I would honestly get some ARP header bolts or reuse your stocker ones, cuz the bolts Pacesetter sends u SUCK! There's a reason I unfortunately know this...
Old 01-31-2008, 05:57 PM
Launching!

I think i am going to go with the pacesetters just because of my budget i meen i want it loud i am definatly not trying to eliminate noise which is why i will probobly end up getting a electric cutout to and i can handle some rasp...also if i dont get the race headers will it still throw codes??....anything else i will need besides o2 extensions the header and ypipe??
Old 01-31-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScrapinBye
The flowmaster 80 might cost u 2-3 hp, or it might cost u 10. Depends on the car. On the average I would say it is well under 10 hp, but dont get me lying! And to that **** stain BigKap94z, I am trying to help the man. I understand he is trying to save money and am telling him what I have on my car. Do u Bigkap not remember me stating that I am installing an exhaust cutout? Yes, I know that cost money as well, but it gives u more OPTIONS which most people on this board would tip their hat to that notion.
BTW, I love my Pacesetters. Good header for the money. But I would honestly get some ARP header bolts or reuse your stocker ones, cuz the bolts Pacesetter sends u SUCK! There's a reason I unfortunately know this...
^Real Classy. I state real results, you state opinions... I also addressed the cutout issue as well. Go ahead and spend more money on a cutout, good for you. I would rather be driving around with that 10-15rwhp extra on tap all the time being quiter, not just when i wanna open a cutout and be loud and sound like ****. I run an electric cutout too, for the track only when i want the 2hp the hooker costs me at my power level.

I have yet to see any dyno results of only gaining 2-3rwhp when opening the cutout with a flowmaster...so you and Choco can agree to that if you want but from real world results I have actually seen....its far from the case. Again waterbug posted a recent link to a few different setups around 400rwhp lose 20+ through the flowmaster.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
Just came across this.. Read the TSP post about flowmaster and a cutout. (2nd post)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/855452-updated-results.html
MUST BE something stuck in that Flow....NO WAY will one clog up 35 horsepower.....NO WAY...... I have one..I also have a QTEC.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:21 PM
Launching!

yea 35 is just a little over the top. Thats one fucked up flowmasters. anyone at the bolt on level with flowmasters got any dyno's?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigKap94z
^Real Classy. I state real results, you state opinions... I also addressed the cutout issue as well. Go ahead and spend more money on a cutout, good for you. I would rather be driving around with that 10-15rwhp extra on tap all the time being quiter, not just when i wanna open a cutout and be loud and sound like ****. I run an electric cutout too, for the track only when i want the 2hp the hooker costs me at my power level.

I have yet to see any dyno results of only gaining 2-3rwhp when opening the cutout with a flowmaster...so you and Choco can agree to that if you want but from real world results I have actually seen....its far from the case. Again waterbug posted a recent link to a few different setups around 400rwhp lose 20+ through the flowmaster.
U state just the facts??? I beg to differ. U stated that u are trying to save other people from "making the mistake" (my exhaust setup) that I made. Sounds more like a matter of opinion, bud. Sorry, but you drew first blood.

Last edited by ScrapinBye; 01-31-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Launching!

I thought mine sounded good with that setup. Not too raspy IMO. But my TSP duals just sound way better. Deep sounding during idle and low rpm. Loud as F@(K at WOT.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chevy0128
yea 35 is just a little over the top. Thats one fucked up flowmasters. anyone at the bolt on level with flowmasters got any dyno's?
Heres a quick link i found today just reading through threads. From my LT1 days, I remember seeing friends with bolt ons opening cutouts and picking up around 7-15rwhp....from 270-300rwhp level. Above that is anyones guess but personally I have never seen any promising numbers through the Flowmaster catback.
http://camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576706