Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shorty headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shorty headers

Im really interested in gettin some street legal shorty headers for my 99 ss. anyone know of any decent ones that dont cost over about 300 or so?? thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

shorty headers aren't worth it
Old 02-07-2008, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
shorty headers aren't worth it
really why is that?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSChevy99
really why is that?
Well there isnt a huge power gain. Now the stock manifolds from the 01-02 cars flow better than the manifolds on a 98-00 car. You will pick up some, but not a ton like LTs or even midlengths will net you more.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

^ right on. LS1/6 exhaust manifolds are part of the reason for all that power in stock form. If you see these exhaust off the car you'll know why. Short or mid length are only good for 8 - 12 hp and that is very arguable. Some claim the shorties even give up power.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shorties on a 99 will gain power. Shorties on a 01-02 may lose power since the stock 01-02 are practically shorties in design.

Just go with longtubes. Only the SLP's have clearance issues, the rest should clear fine and install about the same.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

I remember TrojanTA (I think was his tag) tried extensive testing some time ago with BBK 1 3/4" shorties with a 2.5" Y-pipe (I forget what CB) and insisted that he thought he could get close to LT gains. I think he got near 15 RWHP more, but it is common knowledge (no offense ) that shorties won't gain as much power. Regardless, Hooker and JBA make CARB-legal shorties. I can understand that you want to stay "legal" but it may be better to save that money toward a nice catback or some drag radials.

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Here's why the factory manifolds are so efficient and why shorties do little to improve upon them.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-07-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

link didnt work
Old 02-07-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

The '00-'02s look even a little better than those. Those first ones merge the pulses together nearly as soon as the gases exit the port, but the later model ones offer a little more primary length before merging.

LOL; I'd spend a $100 for some later model manifolds before $400 on some shorties. Sorry...
Old 02-07-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

I bought my shortys for $230 shipped if I remember correctly. I'm in Ca and want to stay smog legal, so that's why I went this route. For my setup, they were worth the money, but if I was in any other state, longtubes would be the way to go hands down...
Old 02-07-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the pic above shows a 98-00 manifold, if you look at the driver's side one for those years, you will see it's a basic log type manifold like the gen1 variety.

The 01-02 resemble the design of a block hugger shorty header. That's why they tend to flow very well. The only problem with them is that they are cast iron so they tend to rust up just like the gen1 variety. Only a longtube type header can make the claim of 20-40hp gain. for me going from the 98 manifolds to the QTP headers + true duals made a gain of 43HP. That's running with cats still.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:55 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

You guys need to understand that some people can't get longtubes for legal reasons. Shorties are generally good for 10-12 RWHP, and they do change the sound of your car. You can also gain a little mileage from the swap. To say that you either need to go with longtubes or nothing at all is misleading. If you live in CA or another state with similar laws and want to remain legal, shorties can be a great option. A good y-pipe with high flow cats makes it even more worth it.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 02-07-2008, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

well everyone was very helpful! thanks very much for the input. looks like i've got some decision making to do lol. thanks again!
Old 02-07-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

I agree with the above, and strayed from the question a bit. I should have said I would consider spending money elsewhere as there are probably a few other places one could improve and gain a better track gain.

Regardless, good luck with your decision.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
You guys need to understand that some people can't get longtubes for legal reasons. Shorties are generally good for 10-12 RWHP, and they do change the sound of your car. You can also gain a little mileage from the swap. To say that you either need to go with longtubes or nothing at all is misleading. If you live in CA or another state with similar laws and want to remain legal, shorties can be a great option. A good y-pipe with high flow cats makes it even more worth it.
+1 on emissions...But if you have the choice why not go with something that would make more power?
Old 02-07-2008, 05:23 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Pntbll309
+1 on emissions...But if you have the choice why not go with something that would make more power?
I didn't say anything about choosing them over longtubes if you have longtubes as a feasible choice. It's just that people act like you either need to break the law and find away around getting checking in places like Cali, or just keep them stock because shorties aren't worth anything at all. I was just pointing out the fact that it is incorrect information and if you need to maintain the legal status that shorties are a better option than most LS1techers make them out to be. Saying they have no major design change compared to an LS1 header is not correct either. Not to mention that a LOT of guys on this site aren't die hard performance enthusiasts and changing headers and/or having hassles when it comes time to get checked in Cali just isn't worth it to a lot of people who would rather just have a hassle free setup.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 02-07-2008, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

I didn't say anything about choosing them over longtubes if you have longtubes as a feasible choice. It's just that people act like you either need to break the law and find away around getting checking in places like Cali, or just keep them stock because shorties aren't worth anything at all. I was just pointing out the fact that it is incorrect information and if you need to maintain the legal status that shorties are a better option than most LS1techers make them out to be. Saying they have no major design change compared to an LS1 header is not correct either. Not to mention that a LOT of guys on this site aren't die hard performance enthusiasts and changing headers and/or having hassles when it comes time to get checked in Cali just isn't worth it to a lot of people who would rather just have a hassle free setup.

wow thoses shroties are really nice. who makes those?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

or he could just register his car in a smog exempt county
Old 02-07-2008, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Well, It comes down to somebodys deffinition of worthwhile hp...For me, everything helps...So If I only had to chose shorties, then shorties it is... Every car responds differently to mods, so you can never count on any # of hp to be gained. But changing from manifolds to headers of any kind will change the sound, thats for sure.

Quick Reply: shorty headers