Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ati super dampener install question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ati super dampener install question

I just got a super dampener and im in the process of installing it. i broght a install tool to install it. My question is the inside lip of the dampener the bolt washer rest on, do it suppose to be all the way flush with the face of the crank nose cause it will not go any further ? thanks
Old 02-15-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry bumpin- never had to install one on my car, but Nobodys got an answer for this poor guy? give'em a break- at least hes trying
Old 02-15-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

No, according to the service manual the crank snout should be recessed. This is the note from the service manual:

Important: The nose of the crankshaft MUST be recessed 2.40-4.48 mm (0.094” - 0.176”) into the balancer bore. If the balancer is not installed to the proper dimensions, install the tool and repeat the installation procedure.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with damper (Not ATI) is that they sit out beyond the crank nose. The back of the damper bottoms out against a radius-ed and machined portion of the crank. Measure the two (crank and dampener) to be sure. You can also call ATI. They have good customer service.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bumpin_records
I just got a super dampener and im in the process of installing it. i broght a install tool to install it. My question is the inside lip of the dampener the bolt washer rest on, do it suppose to be all the way flush with the face of the crank nose cause it will not go any further ? thanks
No it doesn't go on that far. The face sticks out quite a bit. You should be able to install your belt & see if it lines up properly.

Did you install it heated & with anti sieze? Mine went on really easy.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by code4
No it doesn't go on that far. The face sticks out quite a bit. You should be able to install your belt & see if it lines up properly.

Did you install it heated & with anti sieze? Mine went on really easy.
ati said not to heat the steel one up. and no i didnt use anti sieze. Thanks for your help guys. the engine is out the car with no heads or accesories. Reading this now i know i do have it on right. I just broght the arp bolt for it. thanks again. I installed the water pump to see if it lines up with the balancer and it does. Seems like the arp bolt would be a little longer though.

Quick Reply: ati super dampener install question