Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which would you buy, cost no object?
QTP
30.77%
American Racing
69.23%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

QTP vs. AR - which would you buy money no object

Old 02-08-2008, 01:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QTP vs. AR - which would you buy money no object

This is related to the what's the difference thread. I'd like to take a pulse. I'm in the market, but a bit conflicted between the QTP and AR LT headers. The QTPs can be had for more than $100 less, but that's not such a big deal at that price point. So, if you could simply pick up one pair or the other at no cost, which would it be and why?
Old 02-08-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Regular

QTP because I have them and they flow amazing and sound awesome ask the guy in midwest forum thats titled black ss in mokena on laporte. Only thing get a custom y-pipe not theres it hangs a bit low.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

I'm a QTP guy (although my posts don't read like that) but unless you like to tinker and don't mind possible massaging, and just want to stab the headers in and call it quits, I vote ARH. I can't recall one negative thread about them and everything is stainless. I have my own (uneducated) opinion on the merge collector designs but they both have them. QTP's Y-pipe might flow a little better but fitment could be complicated and it's not stainless, unlike ARH's. I can't comment on ARH's weld quality but have my opinions on QTPs.

Money no object - ARH.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

I have ARH headers and IMO their build quality cannot be beat. They fit perfect and are easy to install. I put mine in on small jackstands. They slid right in and they are
1 7/8". I also have a full 3" outlet at the end of the Y that nick gave me the option of for no additional cost.
Also the Y-pipe from ARH fits perfect and has very good ground clearance. I am not knocking QTP but I am saying IMO You cannot beat ARH for build quality.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am a little biased towards QTP since I have had two pair of these headers on two different cars...The HVMC is a plus and the quality is good too...I didn't have any fitement issues at all...Don't know to much about the ARH's but I am sure they are a good product too...

Kev
Old 02-08-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

15 votes and 3 replies

Kev
Old 02-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Camaro01SS4life
15 votes and 3 replies

Kev
Yeah, I was hoping for a little more detail on the thinking myself.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go with American Racing or Kooks. One of the reasons I got the AR headers is because their y pipe is very good and I did not want to have one custom made.

The quality and fitment are second to none.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was in the same boat as you ,American Racing headers have the best fit ment and a better y-pipe......QTP headers are longer and have HVMC's and should dyno a little more and cost a little less, so i went with the qtp's and im having my local exhaust shop custom make me a y-pipe .

click on the link on my sig, MPH motorsports sells them (arh,qtp) both.....or PM jeremy from MPH I got a great deal from him
Old 02-08-2008, 10:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

QTP's
Old 02-08-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well it won't be long and Choco will be tellin you how purty his QTP's are and how long they are etc.....but I'm here to tell you, you're not going to find a better product than ARH. Ask Choco about fitment. Also, ask him why he had to get a y-pipe fabbed up. In fact, I'd get Kook's before I'd get QTP. I base this on the quality of the welds, fitment, and the fact that it's a stainless system. QTP's y-pipe blows. I installed my ARH and it literally couldn't have been any easier. The system matched up to my GMMG perfectly. Sure, I could have polished em to make em shiny, but wtf has that got to do with anything? It sounds fantastic and with the tune provided a very nice sotp increase. The hp differences between the two, and most of the top long tubes is probably insignificant so for me it was about quality. In the end, of course, the choice is yours. But, if quality matters, the choice should be very easy. When you get to the point of purchase, call Nick with ARH and just talk with him. You'll see...
Old 02-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GMmexican
I was in the same boat as you ,American Racing headers have the best fit ment and a better y-pipe......QTP headers are longer and have HVMC's and should dyno a little more and cost a little less, so i went with the qtp's and im having my local exhaust shop custom make me a y-pipe .

click on the link on my sig, MPH motorsports sells them (arh,qtp) both.....or PM jeremy from MPH I got a great deal from him

Y-pipe is not an issue as I'll have a fabbed dual. However, fitment, or rather, just fitting is everything. I'm looking, and looking, and looking, and it seems like the AR will clear everything more easily than the QTP. Here's what I'm dealing with.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=39

This isn't a matter of buying something, not caring for it or just changing my mind, this is about working or not working as much as anything. And since all vendors have fairly steep restocking fees, I'm being very cautious.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:23 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsodeputy61
Well it won't be long and Choco will be tellin you how purty his QTP's are and how long they are etc.....but I'm here to tell you, you're not going to find a better product than ARH. Ask Choco about fitment. Also, ask him why he had to get a y-pipe fabbed up. In fact, I'd get Kook's before I'd get QTP. I base this on the quality of the welds, fitment, and the fact that it's a stainless system. QTP's y-pipe blows. I installed my ARH and it literally couldn't have been any easier. The system matched up to my GMMG perfectly. Sure, I could have polished em to make em shiny, but wtf has that got to do with anything? It sounds fantastic and with the tune provided a very nice sotp increase. The hp differences between the two, and most of the top long tubes is probably insignificant so for me it was about quality. In the end, of course, the choice is yours. But, if quality matters, the choice should be very easy. When you get to the point of purchase, call Nick with ARH and just talk with him. You'll see...
I've followed this thread for a few days now. I wouldn't buy ARH for personal reasons that you wouldn't understand. There are good reasons why I always chime into QTP threads and "just because I own them" is not the reason. I'm not getting into the reasons why because it wouldn't be proper to.

And if you want to talk weld quality, you've never seen a set of QTP's. My welds can't possibly be any more perfect. Fitment and finish were fantastic. All that needed to be removed was the oil drain plug, which hardly anyone else could say about a header install. FWIW, I'd go Kooks before I went ARH if it makes you feel better, pumpkin.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
. . . I wouldn't buy ARH for personal reasons that you wouldn't understand. . .
They're a government conspiracy to sterilize the population? . . .

From what I can gather from your posts you have stated that QTP:
- Fit without much trouble
- Have high build quality
- Are Cheaper
- Perform better

From what I can gather about ARH from many posts and other research:
- Fit easily (perhaps best of all researched)
- Have exceptional build quality
- Are more expensive (but not much) than QTP
- Performance not objectively verifiable compared to QTP, but likely very similar

Especially considering neither QTP nor ARH were especially helpful in answering my direct inquiry regarding my particular (admittedly narrow) application, I'm mostly just trying to figure out which will fit and last with the least amount of hassle. I'll take a small performance and/or cost penalty to fulfill these criteria.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going with ARH when I put headers on my car.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've followed this thread for a few days now. I wouldn't buy ARH for personal reasons that you wouldn't understand. There are good reasons why I always chime into QTP threads and "just because I own them" is not the reason. I'm not getting into the reasons why because it wouldn't be proper to.

And if you want to talk weld quality, you've never seen a set of QTP's. My welds can't possibly be any more perfect. Fitment and finish were fantastic. All that needed to be removed was the oil drain plug, which hardly anyone else could say about a header install. FWIW, I'd go Kooks before I went ARH if it makes you feel better, pumpkin.

Let me guess, you're mad because the guy at Kook's says that...blah, blah, blah....Who gives a ****? I wanted the best exhaust system available for my car and didn't care if satan himself was selling them next to the ******' fruit stand on the highway. If his were the best, then he'd have my money!

Oh really, how bout that steering column shaft that your headers hit? Nothing has to be removed for ARH. Umm, that would be fitment. Pumpkin, huh, I wish you lived closer, I'd make you my bitch.

Last edited by rsodeputy61; 02-09-2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: choco
Old 02-09-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And if you want to talk weld quality, you've never seen a set of QTP's. My welds can't possibly be any more perfect.
really? haha

Last edited by studderin; 02-09-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsodeputy61
Let me guess, you're mad because the guy at Kook's says that...blah, blah, blah....Who gives a ****? I wanted the best exhaust system available for my car and didn't care if satan himself was selling them next to the ******' fruit stand on the highway. If his were the best, then he'd have my money!

Oh really, how bout that steering column shaft that your headers hit? Nothing has to be removed for ARH. Umm, that would be fitment. Pumpkin, huh, I wish you lived closer, I'd make you my bitch.
We'll continue this conversation after your ***** drop. It's hard to argue with a 5th grader.

Again, you wouldn't understand, pumpkin.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I own QTP's but if I could go back I woulda went with ARH. QTP's quality control sucks and their customer service is even worst.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 1 7/8" A.R. and love them. No banging issue's nice fitment. I only had to drop the starter to get them in.
I had dynatech suppermaxx.....sucked. Bought Kooks they hit K member so never bolted them down. Friend has QTP they bang on every bump plus rubs the k member. A. R. was my last option. they work great.

Search this Thread