Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to weld the bung plug????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to weld the bung plug????

I've ordered a LM-1 basic kit and some pacesetter LT's,ORY pipe with magnaflow cats. Where should I weld the bung for the LM-1 kit? On the driver side of the Y right before the cats or the passenger side of the Y before the cats? How close to the cats? I don't think it's after the cats from what i've read. Also when welding the bung should i leave the plug out so it won't get stuck in the bung? Another thing, for those who installed there own headers on a 2002 camaro did you have to remove anything to get to the header bolts or for the headers to fit. I'm thinking about doing it myself or maybe i'll just take it to a shop.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So how do you get an ORY with cats? ORY means there's no cats. Anyways, I would pick a collector (doesn't matter which) and weld it a few inches behind where all the primaries meet in the collector. You should have one bung here already to be used with your normal O2 sensor. Definitely don't put the bung after the cats though.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:40 AM
12 Second Club

in order for me to pass inspection i need to run cats. Is it possible to run the cats within the y pipe just as the factory one??
Old 02-22-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boola1341
in order for me to pass inspection i need to run cats. Is it possible to run the cats within the y pipe just as the factory one??
If you bought an ORY then you could have an exhaust shop weld in some hi-flo cats but it's easiest to just buy a y-pipe that already comes with some cats welded in. Do you have to pass a SMOG test or just a visual? You risk failing visual even if you have cats in your Y-pipe because LT headers force you to move the location of the cats further down. It's illegal in all 50 states to move the position of the stock cats. Some places don't realize or don't care that you move them though as long as you have them.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

might as well leave the cats hooked up to you exhaust manifolds and keep em so when smogtime comes you can put em back on smog and then put your headers back on
Old 02-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Tough Mudder

I really wanted to monitor #7, so I put it on that side.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Tough Mudder

Oh, and don't weld it with the sensor in it. Screams bad idea.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the info. Didn't know it was illegal to move the cats. All i need is a visual when it comes time to inspect. I'll do a search on catted y pipes.....but i think i'm going with the tsp y pipe. It says it'll hook up to the pacesetters or hookers.