Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just put motor back together..

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just put motor back together..

2000 ss ls1 camaro
ported heads, 2.02 intake-1.57 exhaust valves, long tube headers, crane cam.

just put the motor back together after the timing chain snapped and screwed the valves up.

noticing a ticking sound coming from the motor.. could it be a exhaust leak from the headers?! new header gaskets.. what are the torque specs on the header bolts? also installed new lifters and push rods.

also tends to backfire on start up for a bit and also when downshifting. wouldn't do this before the rebuild but also just running open headers. new plugs and wires to, cheapies from autozone and didn't gap the plugs.

changed out the crank sensor also, do these cars require the gm tech II to relearn the ignition system on the crank sensor? could that cause a backfire??

also, where is the oil pressure sensor located? my car is showing no oil pressure what so ever but i'm pretty sure oil is being curculated.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

What size is your cam? Your issues could be caused by a number of things. You will need a tune after a H/C swap. What kind of heads do you have? Did you have the factory heads ported or are they aftermarket? Ticking could be and exhaust leak but you should be able to listen and tell if thats the cause. Ticking and backfiring could mean a ptv problem. The oil pressure sensor is on the back of the intake manifold close to the firewall. Give us some more info and we can diagnose the problem more easily.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

Did you just have the heads off? Did you also replace the lifters? They can take a beating when the pistons and valves meet.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Teching In

the car already had a cam in it before this happened and i'm not sure what size it is. the heads are just factory heads ported out. what are the torque specs for the header bolts? i got new headers gaskets so it could be leaking from there. what is a ptv problem? and yeah i replaced the lifters and pushrods, the heads have slightly bigger valves with new seals and guides