Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would open headers cause O2 errors and misfires

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Would open headers cause O2 errors and misfires

Did my headers this weekend. I'm running them open until I can get the duals welded up. i put in brand new Denso Iridium plugs gapped at .060, and we were very careful not to bang them up when installing the headers.I'm running rear O2 sims, and I extended the front O2's myself. Would running the headers open cause O2 codes and a #4 misfire? I haven't swapped wires, but they seem to be very snug and each one "clicked on." There's also what sounds to be a tick coming from the drivers side head, which I think is the #4 cylinder misfiring.

Any ideas?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

I think .060 gap is way too much and is probably making the misfire. As far as O2 goes, if the atmosphere is within 12 inches of the sensor, it can possibly interfere with it and cause it to read lean.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Well, I fixed the O2 problem (temporarily till I get extensions). turns out the harness I made was a little too long, and ended up falling down and scraping the ground, breaking a wire. i'm going to buy new spark plugs, prolly NGK's this time, and leave them at .040. that's the best right? damn, I don't wanna do plugs again... lol.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

actully the stock gap is .060

Quick Reply: Would open headers cause O2 errors and misfires