Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What do you think?
It's got a stupid high price tag...
81.60%
I'd happily pull out my plastic and go into debt faster than a hooker at a frat party!
18.40%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

F.A.S.T. Intake.... Overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too would buy one if it was cheaper maybe 400 for the intake and 200 for the throttle body.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
it's apparent that a lot of you guys really like the FAST IM... and that's great! I'm all for it... hell I like it too. I'm not saying it's a POS. It's a great piece of hardware...

but... in all honesty, for all you guys defending the price tag on it... are you really gonna sit there and say that you don't think it's a little on the pricey side? I'm starting to wonder, just because everyone, or most everyone defending it, are all owners of it. And I think because of this they just don't wanna feel like they made a stupid decision in paying that kinda dough for it...

seriously... you guys don't think it was a little on the high side?

No doubt its on the high side for a manifold compared to an LS6 or Weiand, but it has some unique features such as 3 piece design (extremely advantageous for port work) and nitrous ports already there, and bust disc provisions. Of course the owners are going to defend it, its a great intake. $750 might not be as much to me as it is to you. Price is all relative to your income. When I got my FAST I had already dropped over 4K into my engine, whats another 750 really? And i traded my LS6 and TB for the NW throttle body and some cash.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brad8266
No doubt its on the high side for a manifold compared to an LS6 or Weiand, but it has some unique features such as 3 piece design (extremely advantageous for port work) and nitrous ports already there, and bust disc provisions. Of course the owners are going to defend it, its a great intake. $750 might not be as much to me as it is to you. Price is all relative to your income. When I got my FAST I had already dropped over 4K into my engine, whats another 750 really? And i traded my LS6 and TB for the NW throttle body and some cash.
seriously agree. First off, $750 is not that much money. When i did my H/C package, i certainly wasn't gonna leave significant gains on the table for a mesely $750. Not to mention, it allows you to go big CI in the future where as the ls6 intake will quickly become a limiting factor. You get what you pay for IMO.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by brad8266
. . . Price is all relative to your income . . .
There in lies the crux of this argument and, in fact, the entire reason for the thread post

Some of us that own these cars can, and regularly do, spend $750 on a night of partying Money that you won't get back, whereas that $750 intake will be on your car the next day

As for the dyno-discussion . . . 500 rwhp is VERY doable in street trim with the products offered by our vendors.

These disagreements get so heated and rarely end with a resolution; which is exactly why I'll never post my numbers

Old 02-27-2008, 11:20 PM
12 Second Club

sweet
Old 02-27-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's apparent that a lot of you guys really like the FAST IM... and that's great! I'm all for it... hell I like it too. I'm not saying it's a POS. It's a great piece of hardware...

but... in all honesty, for all you guys defending the price tag on it... are you really gonna sit there and say that you don't think it's a little on the pricey side? I'm starting to wonder, just because everyone, or most everyone defending it, are all owners of it. And I think because of this they just don't wanna feel like they made a stupid decision in paying that kinda dough for it...

seriously... you guys don't think it was a little on the high side?
there is really no choice. do you think a bbk or typhoon are going to hold up to a fast. i wish they would release one for the l92 heads so i can swap my heads and intake out. im tired of the 317 heads and ls6 intake. i might have to say screw the l92 fast and hope a ported l76 will do good.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:01 AM
TECH Veteran

I personally think it is overpriced and i will probably never buy one. One of the reasons it will be expensive for me is because i would not put a fast on that is not ported. So there goes even more money. SO before you know it you have spent $1500 on an intake and tb
Old 02-28-2008, 01:53 AM
TECH Resident

hmm yeah lets work more, have more, buy more and have NO time to use it. makes perfect since to me
Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by gold98Z28
hmm yeah lets work more, have more, buy more and have NO time to use it. makes perfect since to me
Now thats a personal choice, people here or at the company cannot help that you make $12/ hour and have to support yourself. Heck try to improve the quality of one job.

With out sacrifice, there can be no victory.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blazerls1
Even though I got mine for $675 shipped,they are overpriced.my biggest problems with FAST is 1.lack of intake gaskets when you buy it.2 the crappy bolts that begin to rust 5 minutes after you install it.3. mold the thing in black plastic,so you don't have to paint it...
From what I've heard and seen at least they include stainless bolts with the FAST 92 now. Still no gaskets and still in nasty grey.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha....all of you people bitching about the price of these intakes could be using this time to put in a few extra hours at work and then buy one!!!

I just can't believe a friggin molded piece of plastic with some holes in it can get you guys so worked up. If you want it, buy it, if you hate it, deal with your factory intake.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

lol i will keep my 12 dollars and buy some more nitrous. you can keep your overprices piece of plastic.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by gold98Z28
lol i will keep my 12 dollars and buy some more nitrous. you can keep your overprices piece of plastic.
It's "over priced", and when you smoke your pistons, you will really need to start saving some pennies or grubbing for quarters.

Now if, and I say IF, I am willing, or anyone for that matter is willing to buy this type of setup. Are they afraid of laying down the $$$ for a nitrous kit? I dont think so.

All things being equal, this can make the diff and 1.5-2 IF not more mph gain is enough to pull someone from a roll or beat them up top for a 1/4 race.

I would gladly, and already have paid that price. People just need to find the deals, even from sponsors. *cough *cough Vengence....

The long story about this post is that people in general want instant gratification, and they all want it like Gran Turismo, they all want $1,000,000.00 in their bank account and build a car one shot and then reset. Well, unfortunately we can't do that and most can't afford or not fast enough to race for cash so you deal with it. LS6 intakes go for 300ish, and flow well and people can either settle for that or step up to the big boys. Work within your budget
Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Work within your budget
Well said...
Old 02-28-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

pistons, heads, block etc... is apples to oranges

you get much more useful advantages out of all those parts than you do with the hp/price ratio of a FAST intake... and a lot of those parts are even cheaper than the FAST intake, minus the heads
Old 02-28-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

the fast 90 is discontinued, now we can all pay more for a 92 verson!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

k.... I admit, that last one did sound kinda bitchy
Old 02-28-2008, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

intake= overpriced.
ls6 intake all the way

and slp ftmfw!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Internet Mechanic

the fast 90 is discontinued, now we can all pay more for a 92 verson!
Yea, thats a whole nother thread and there may be some validity to that one lol
Old 02-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Yea, I wish it cost less, but in the end I'm not in this hobby to save money. Even with it I just reached my HP goal. These motors have been out a decade now. I haven't seen an intake give them competition, and they continue to charge what they want.