Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMMG compared to stock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMMG compared to stock?

Hey guys, I wanted to know from you guys that have the GMMG on your cars. How big of a difference is the sound over the stock exhaust on a stock car? I know there is going to be a pretty big difference, and this might seem like a stupid question, but basicly I just want to know your opinions on the GMMG. Is it a lot louder, deeper, etc. I know this is the exhaust I want to go with, and I'm more than likely ordering it this week, but I just wanted a few more opinions before I put out the money. Anyways, sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, just wondering what your experiences have been like. Thanks for the help!
Also what do you think of the optional oval tips? Anybody have any pics of them on a WS6? I'm thinking about getting those also. Any opinions would be great! Thanks again!
Old 07-17-2003, 10:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: GMMG compared to stock?

The chambered system will give a much deeper rumble at idle on a stock car. At WOT its incredible. Sounds like a true muscle car.

As for the tips, on a Pontiac theres no other way to go, they sit PERFECTLY in the stock location.
I dont think you will be dissapointed.... I wasnt
Old 07-18-2003, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cammin BeaSSt is correct, sounds like a true muscle car. It sounds mean at idle and ESPECIALLY at WOT!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 04:29 AM
TECH Addict

1,000 % improvement over stock. Nice rumble at idle, barks to life on start up, strong at wot.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

With the exception of the H&C/LT header 435 horsepower Blackbird on their website, do any of their clips of this exhaust sound anything like stock???!!!

Same with these: www.cobraeater.cz28.com/Exhaust

I had it installed on my bone stock car and it didn't sound anything close to stock to me. Like any other stock-cammed LS1, idle is kinda quiet, but get moving and you easily hear it. WOT is out of this world.

Quit procrastinating and just order it already.

Mike
Old 07-18-2003, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Some say that its raspy with LT's and ORY, but everyone has theyre own deffinition of raspy. But im still curious about it.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some say that its raspy with LT's and ORY, but everyone has theyre own deffinition of raspy. But im still curious about it.
Yes, it definitely becomes raspy without cats. But then again, what aftermarket cat-back doesn't when running offroad pipes on an LS1?!

Just run the cats and you simply cannot beat the tone IMO as compared to any other aftermarket system out there.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:40 AM
Teching In

i previously had the corsa on my SS. while absolutely stunning in looks, the sound of the corsa just wasn't cutting it for me.

i felt compelled to purchase the gmmg and i am absolutely pleased with the sound and looks of the chamber... the tips could have used some work, though.

for the install, it is much easier than the corsa, although, if you plan to do it yourself in your garage, you'll need to jack the car up really high. the chamber and overaxle pipe are one piece.... well you'll see.

overall, i'm not knocking corsa. its a fine exhaust, but just wasn't deep enough for me. i also wish gmmg would take credit cards so i could earn points -- it would also expedite the process as well.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:50 PM
10 Second Club

What size diameter is the piping? How much does it cost?
Old 07-20-2003, 09:28 PM
Teching In

http://www.gmmginc.net/html/chamberedexhaust.html
Old 07-22-2003, 12:54 AM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

i also wish gmmg would take credit cards so i could earn points -- it would also expedite the process as well.
You're not alone. I think they do that due to liabilty with noise restrictions.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

I was going to start a new thread but I will place this in here..

Well it all started over a year ago when I got a Corsa Exhaust. That thing was somewhat of a pain to install and get aligned up with all the hangers required. No matter how much I messed with it, I could not get it to attach correctly to the stock hanger on the passenger side and the thing rattled constantly on the heat shield.

Monday I received my GMMG. I spent more time dismantling that Corsa than I did hanging the GMMG. This exhaust is solid. First thing I did was line both exhaust systems up. Low and behold, I discovered that the intermediate pipe on the Corsa is 2 freakin’ inches too short! Hmmmm, fortunately I still have my stock exhaust so lets do a 2nd comparison - Confirmed. This is why #1 the Corsa hung crooked. #2 could not be attached correctly to the stock hanger. #3 Rattled like crazy because the over axle pipe rested on the heat shield.

I did like the Corsa sound over the GMMG though, that is when the Corsa wasn’t buzzing. I still cringe every time I launch, expecting that buzzz rattle that came from the Corsa. I guess it will take some time to get used to it.

Overall, the GMMG hangs snug, hangs straight, looks stock and is build solid. No ugly muffler hangs down and just looks killer. The only part of this exhaust that needs to be clamped together is the intermediate pipe to the over axle pipe. The rest is factory WELDED!! (excluding the tips of-course) I had questions, I call, and somebody answers! Holy *****! No only that, they answered my questions and concerns. I sent in my Money order, and within a week had my system. Two Thumbs Up!

If anyone is considering a GMMG, this Cat’s opinion is DO IT.

Added:
I got the oval tips. They are kind of cheap looking for a $150 but fit snug in the bumper on my WS6. Very tightlooking! I would boil it down to, If you want to spend $150 more. Personally, I like them better than the 'stock' looking pipes for a WS6. But, I far preferred the look of my double tips that I had on the Corsa.
Unfortunately, they won’t fit on the GMMG.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:05 AM
Teching In

if i can't sell my corsa, i might fabricate the piping so that my corsa tips can be mounted to the gmmg. that should look dope!
Old 07-23-2003, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the GMMG too.

On a stock cam/heads car, it sounds great not too loud.

Once I installed my heads and cam and running no cats, it sounds awesome! WOT is almost too loud, sounds like a Nascar car, sorta raspy.

To be honest I'm thinking of putting my STOCK cat back back on to see how that sounds. It has a cutout on it already so I can just open that for the dyno or track.

It's all in what your looking for.....