Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARH Header question

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ARH Header question

Is it right to assume that on a 2000 Z28, if you get the catted y with the ARH headers that you wont be throwing any codes or anything? Never messed with a car this much, just wondering about all of the stock sensors and stuff. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Old 02-29-2008, 01:37 PM
FormerVendor

All the stock sensors are retained so you shouldn't be throwing any codes.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Launching!

I didn't throw any codes...but had them turned off anyways when it was tuned.

-Matt
Old 02-29-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may get cat codes becuase the cats will take longer to heat up with LT's. Not a big deal to just turn them off.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
You may get cat codes becuase the cats will take longer to heat up with LT's. Not a big deal to just turn them off.
Yep. Bullet cats are far less efficient than OEs, and the computer doesnt like them. You will set codes 420/430 all the time.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WKMCD
That can happen with any header set up. The problem isn't that the cats are not as efficient, it's that they are moved further away from the engine which means they don't heat up as fast. That's why some newer OEM motors use those pup cats right after the manifolds and then bigger cats down the line.

OBDII is very sensitive. When you do your emissions testing, always do it with the motor HOT!
Old 02-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
That can happen with any header set up. The problem isn't that the cats are not as efficient, it's that they are moved further away from the engine which means they don't heat up as fast. That's why some newer OEM motors use those pup cats right after the manifolds and then bigger cats down the line.

OBDII is very sensitive. When you do your emissions testing, always do it with the motor HOT!
It is partly due to location, but it also is a surface area issue. I see it alot with aftermarket cats in stock locations. We get alot of cars in that have had universal cats installed by muffler shops, that are setting 420/430 codes. OE location, but the cats are slightly different. You can drive around with a scope hooked up to the up and down stream 02s, and come to a stop and watch the cat turn off in about 25 seconds of idling.
And yes it does happen with pretty much any of the header systems, its not just ARH.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:27 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
It is partly due to location, but it also is a surface area issue. I see it alot with aftermarket cats in stock locations. We get alot of cars in that have had universal cats installed by muffler shops, that are setting 420/430 codes. OE location, but the cats are slightly different. You can drive around with a scope hooked up to the up and down stream 02s, and come to a stop and watch the cat turn off in about 25 seconds of idling.
And yes it does happen with pretty much any of the header systems, its not just ARH.

Wouldn't that just be a heat issue again? A larger surface area with greater flow rate means it takes more time to heat them up.

We have customers that run cats and all emissions equipment but still delete codes or use sims because they hate having to reset the check engine light for the 420/430 codes. They usually go away after driving a while but it gets annoying.

Magnaflow just put out a TSB on their cats and this exact problem. It's very common.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help guys. I wanted to keep all the stock sensors operable and working. Its not necessary to get rid of the AIR and EGR is it? Also, i know this is asked a million times, but what kind of decrease in mileage are LT Headers going to show? I know it flows better and some people always say it will get better, but real world experience seems to state otherwise. Assuming you can stay away from racing at every redlight, what are we looking at in regards to MPG? Thanks again!
Old 02-29-2008, 02:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by UATahoe
Thanks for the help guys. I wanted to keep all the stock sensors operable and working. Its not necessary to get rid of the AIR and EGR is it? Also, i know this is asked a million times, but what kind of decrease in mileage are LT Headers going to show? I know it flows better and some people always say it will get better, but real world experience seems to state otherwise. Assuming you can stay away from racing at every redlight, what are we looking at in regards to MPG? Thanks again!
Theorectically, they should IMPROVE your MPH. However, in reality everyone drives faster and accelerates harder when they have more power. Mileage is going to vary. If you drive EXACTLY the same as you do now, you should remain the same or see a light increase. Drive faster and you are going to loose a few MPG
Old 02-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Soudns good to me. Are there any special parts i need to keep the AIR and EGR working properly? I guess instead of O2 sims in the back its easier to just tune those out correct?
Old 02-29-2008, 03:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by UATahoe
Soudns good to me. Are there any special parts i need to keep the AIR and EGR working properly? I guess instead of O2 sims in the back its easier to just tune those out correct?
The headers will have provisions to keep the AIR And EGR. You can tune out the rear O2 sims as long as your local emissions station (if you have those) does not plug into the OBDII port. If they do, it will fail. O2 sims will pass the same test.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Sweet. Live in the great state of alabama where there are absolutely no emmissions tests. LOL